cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone use a Solo Stove

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Just brought a used Solo Stove "Bonfire". Pro and Cons if you're using. Brought because it was a great deal but not for sure if I'll use it. Looks pretty neat though and from what I've heard, its almost smokeless.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch
15 REPLIES 15

Bend
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the Solo's competitor for a decade when backpacking, etc.:

Silverfire Scout

For the trailer, its the:

Survivor Rocket Stove

Both are near smokeless after startup.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I made one. I can tell you there is much more to it than a can with holes.
It burns the wood and then the gases in the smoke can be re-ignited and burned as fuel. This second burn is a clean smokeless burn.
For auto or trailer camping this is a lot of work and not entirely smokeless. There is a lot of smoke and sut when getting it going, or when the fire gets low, or too high. The fire needs to be just right to work perfectly, which is most of the time, but not all the time. It is for outside use only.
For short camp trips in a vehicle/camper propane is quicker and cleaner.
For long stays or the true off-gridder this stove is the ticket.
Your pots will become black.

There are battery powered models out there that blow air into the fire to feed more oxygen that burn hotter, quicker too, and probably give a more consistent heat.

This has nothing to do with a fire ring, or truck wheels or any kind of fire pit. Im not sure why people are talking about fire pits in a stove discussion, but such is a forum...

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Smaller ones are very popular with backpackers/bikers etc - there kinda spendy but get great reviews.
Kevin

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
At two different hunting clubs I used a 15" truck rim and a 16" grill grate from Walmart. That was a cooking machine. The last club i was a member of I used a rim off of an old ice cream truck. It took a 24" grill grate from Walmart. It worked great, but it may have made a better small fire pit.
I cooked on tire rims off and on for 10-15 years. Worked great.

BTW: A used tire store gave me both rims.
When I left those clubs I gave the rims to buddies who were still members there. (RECYCLING)

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Been using a Solo Stove Bonfire for a couple years and love it. It works perfectly as advertised. Smokeless, or nearly so, even with poorly seasoned wood. Lights easily with a couple fire starters even with no kindling. Use it at home as well as camping. Worth every penny of the $250 I paid for it.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Love our Solostove. My wife cannot stand smoke from the campfire and she's the first one to start a campfire now. They get really hot and make sure your legs don't extend over the top.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
If you are backpacking and donโ€™t want to carry fuel...maybe.

I believe that you still have to add the wood. This is just the stove to burn it in.

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
I have one - great fire pit.
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the comments. I do agree it looks like an old washing machine tub. Everywhere I looked on-line, this fire pit is $300. Probably would never buy a new one but for less than half price, its going to be a keeper.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Works great....we rarely head to the campground without it.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdc1 wrote:
bstar1952 wrote:
Just brought a used Solo Stove "Bonfire". Pro and Cons if you're using. Brought because it was a great deal but not for sure if I'll use it. Looks pretty neat though and from what I've heard, its almost smokeless.

A $300.00 washing machine drum?
Yah really, it looks a lot like the washing machine drums we've seen in use for years, available at any junk yard or recycle center for $5, or free.
Can't say anything about the stove as I've never seen one.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you are backpacking and donโ€™t want to carry fuel...maybe.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Explorer
Explorer
HERE
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
bstar1952 wrote:

A $300.00 washing machine drum?