cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any KZ Spree owners out there?

Groundhog66
Explorer
Explorer
Getting my choice narrowed down, and one of my other considerations is a KZ Spree S333RLF.

Any feedback on this one?

Love the floorplan, looks like a solid offering, although a bit heavier than I was hoping.
8 REPLIES 8

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
myredracer wrote:

Check the frame on it. If it has the type of I-beam that is made from 3 pieces of sheet steel and looks like a "regular" one-piece I-beam, look at another brand.

That will narrow the search down a lot, as the OP will be limited to a very few select brands. The vast majority, especially if coming out of Indiana, will have a frame made by LCI, and LCI uses welded/manufactured beams on every TT frame they make except frames for the largest toy haulers and destination trailers.
The I-beams I'm referring to are the ones that have 3 individual pieces of 1/8" mild steel steel welded longitudinally front to back. The majority of frames are the rolled steel type that have 2 or 3 section butt-welded. Some of these frames, like ours, have are taller at 8" instead of 6" and have thicker 3/16" thick steel. Of course, some of the Lippert frames are better re-inforced at the spring hangers than others.

If we were looking for a new TT and had the option, I'd want one with the BAL/Norco frame instead.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
myredracer wrote:
Our Spree is from just prior to Thor Industries buying them out. I have no idea what build quality is like now, and it wasn't all the great before. And I don't know what the dealer/factory support is like on warranty repairs. We've had many build quality issues, too many to list here.

I'd have to agree, our 2008 KZ Spree 240BH-LX was built long before Thor bought the company and although it was touted to be better than average in terms of quality it still delaminated in several locations on the curb side of the trailer. Too bad, it was a really great but unusual triple bunk bed floorplan that served us well for 6 years - can't say whether Thor ownership is good or bad.

We've had 2 Sprees and our current one built just before the Thor take-over has more issues than our previous one. Maybe employee moral was low and quality suffered for a period.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
myredracer wrote:

Check the frame on it. If it has the type of I-beam that is made from 3 pieces of sheet steel and looks like a "regular" one-piece I-beam, look at another brand.

That will narrow the search down a lot, as the OP will be limited to a very few select brands. The vast majority, especially if coming out of Indiana, will have a frame made by LCI, and LCI uses welded/manufactured beams on every TT frame they make except frames for the largest toy haulers and destination trailers.

I think that you will find very few trailer models with the cheap "I-beam" mentioned by Gil. Yes, most are built by LCI, but the 3 piece is not in the vast majority.
True. There's only a handful of brands/models that use or did use them. Not sure if some manufacturers stopped using them and either use a regular I-beam or maybe the BAL/Norco frame. KZ used to used the 3-piece beams across their Spree lineup. I sure wouldn't one on a 36'/10K lb TT.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Our Spree is from just prior to Thor Industries buying them out. I have no idea what build quality is like now, and it wasn't all the great before. And I don't know what the dealer/factory support is like on warranty repairs. We've had many build quality issues, too many to list here.

I'd have to agree, our 2008 KZ Spree 240BH-LX was built long before Thor bought the company and although it was touted to be better than average in terms of quality it still delaminated in several locations on the curb side of the trailer. Too bad, it was a really great but unusual triple bunk bed floorplan that served us well for 6 years - can't say whether Thor ownership is good or bad.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
myredracer wrote:

I think that you will find very few trailer models with the cheap "I-beam" mentioned by Gil. Yes, most are built by LCI, but the 3 piece is not in the vast majority.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, but won't help you.

That is one long TT at 36 1/2'. With a GVWR of 10K lbs, the actual tongue weight after fully loaded for camping will be in the 1400 - 1500 lb range. You'll need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck depending on it's payload capacity. I would recommend a longer wheelbase truck too with long bed and super or crew cab. You'll want a premium WDH with integral sway control like Equal-i-zer 4 pt, Reese dual cam, etc. and one rated for a tongue weight that high.

Check the frame on it. If it has the type of I-beam that is made from 3 pieces of sheet steel and looks like a "regular" one-piece I-beam, look at another brand. These frames flex a LOT and will cause issues. Also check the axle and tire load ratings compared to the GVWR. You may benefit from upgrading one load range on the tires. You don't want the axles loaded to near their rating (use the GVWR less actual tongue wt.).

The listed cargo carrying capacity is rather low at 1360 lbs. Our is higher than that and just one full holding tank would put us over the GVWR. We always travel with empty tanks so not a problem for us. If you order any options, they will add weight. For a TT that long, you could find yourself close to or over the GVWR if you don't watch what you load into it. It is always a good idea to go to a scale after fully loaded for camping to see what your GVW and TW.

With that long a TT, the truck could benefit from HD shocks like Bilstein and the TT could also. We've done both and it helps reduce bounce a lot and gives a more comfortable and controllable drive.

The black and gray tanks at 32 gal. are on the small side. Are there two gray tanks or only one? For two people, expect about 1 week max. on the black tank, *if* you do all the right stuff (plenty of water, flush thoroughly).

The pass-through storage doors look rather small and I doubt you'd get a BBQ in there. Some say a fridge in a slide are problematic but we've never had any issues. One AC unit won't cut it and that will force you into a 50 amp service, but 50 amp sites in CGs can be in short supply (thanks to min. requirements of the NEC).

Since you're on the west coast, I'd be also checking out Outdoors RV units - above average quality and more features and options.