Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alternative to Onan 2500LP Generator?

CraigGlover
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

I've got a 2005 Northern Lite 10-2 CD Camper. I just bought it last year and am pretty sure I'm the 3rd owner. Previous 2 owners didn't take the best of care of the camper and recently I noticed one of the basement walls caved in on itself, and the back rear side where the Onan generator sits is sagging very badly. Managed to pull the generator out and the metal box that it sits in, and found that the 3/4" plywood flooring sections are rotted and wet. So needless to say I've got some structural repair work ahead of me this summer.

But, I was wondering if there happens to be any alternative options to power the A/C unit, and furnace and appliances etc, other than the current Onan 2500LP generator that's been in there since the beginning? The generator only has 200 hours on and I just did the oil and it runs great, but it weighs 113 lbs. I think that weight possibly contributed to the sagging problem where it sits in the back right compartment, and after replacing all the plywood and installing more durable vertical supports, I'm not so sure if I want to put that heavy generator back in there. Maybe something that weighs roughly half the weight, but can still power everything (not all at once). I've got a Honda 2000 generator and was thinking of installing a soft starter for the A/C so that I could maybe use that little Honda (its so light). But its not liquid cooled and would need to be placed outside while running (which isn't that big of a deal). But is there a better option, maybe a lighter, liquid cooled generator (say in the 60lb range), that either runs on gas or propane, that I could hardwire the camper wiring too (like the Onan 2500LP was) and that would be suitable to run while its inside that back right compartment (I could hook it up to the existing Onan 2500LP exhaust system)?

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton for your help

Jason
10 REPLIES 10

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer
My Onan 2500 LP has been flawless for 24 years. Only issue if battery is too low, will crank over but not fire, due to spark being too weak I suppose. Always turn propane on and run stove burner to get gas in system before starting if gas has been turned off a long while. Usually starts 2nd crank. Spark plug gap is set tighter than gas models. Taking spark plug out is tricky using 13/16 socket and a wrench on end (no room for ratchet).

Oil change only every 3 or 4 years because the propane models are so clean. Check oil with dip stick touching but not screwed in with camper level. Check air filter if run in dirty environment.

Enjoy!
1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Westinghouse makes some good generators in my opinion..I have a camo Igen 2200 along with my Honda 2k..It isn't a Honda but it is pretty good so far..

A good read on the Westinghouse generator and Onan portable inverter gen..There not the same but very close..

Who makes Westinghouse generators
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sell the Onan to pay for the repairs. The Honda will get by until something else is figured out.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Westinghouse is just a label slapped on a cheapo generator like the others.
Your Honda is better.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The compartment was sagging due to the water intrusion and rot, not the weight of the generator. It was designed to hold the weight of the generator.

I'm not a big fan of Onan. My experience with them is not positive. The ones I've been around are hard starting and take several attempts before they will stay running. That's on a brand new generator. Mechanics just shrug their shoulders and say, "That's the way they are."

So you can pretty much guess what my choice would be. Hint, it's red and has a carry handle.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

CraigGlover
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the excellent feedback everyone. My wife just wants to keep using the current Onan 2500lp since it works and we already own it. I definitely would prefer something much lighter and quieter. Guess I will have a better idea once I've finished repairing the structural damage and see how much stronger that compartment is. If there's no sagging I might just keep using it. Or just use the Honda like you said - makes sense to me. Never heard of Westinghouse but good to know they're a reputable brand.

I will post pictures of the damage and where the leak was coming from and of the repairs once completed. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who's run into this problem and maybe help them save some $$ by showing others how to repair themselves

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Westinghouse igen2500 and take it in and out. Or put your onan back in.
Personally I would try to sell the onan and buy the Westinghouse.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
your big problem is the leak. they don,t go away .

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would never want a permanently installed generator on a truck camper ! Too big/heavy, especially if it is liquid cooled.

Depending on the size of the A/C unit, with a Micro-Air EasyStart the Honda should run the A/C. If not, time to upgrade.

Strategic placement of the Honda and maybe a piece of plywood as a sound deflector I think it will be quiet enough.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The Onan isnโ€™t liquid cooled. And you have the 2 best options already. A built in genny that is like new, if you fix the camper and donโ€™t mind a built in generator.
Or a Honda 2000, if the first option isnโ€™t right for you.
Only measurable upgrade may be a new quieter Onanโ€ฆ.for a chit load of money.
You have the second and third best options already. For free.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold