Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allegheny National Forest/Niagara Falls

Bevteacher4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
Have my long fall (August 26 to September 24) camping trip planned and reservations made! Traveling from Indiana to Mohican State Park in Ohio, to Toinesta Recreation Area on southern end of Allegheny National Forest to Golden Hills State Park on Lake Ontario in New York, then to Red Bridge Campground in Allegheny NF, back to Mohican SP and then home. Will be staying at each place for a week. Bringing a sit on top kayak. Does anyone know if I should buy a state park pass in advance for each state? Or if I will need a permit for the kayak?
Anyone been in these areas? Any words of advice? I am a widow traveling by myself with my little dog.
All of your advice for my trip last fall to UP of Michigan were perfect and made me feel much for comfortable!
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Bev
3 REPLIES 3

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
PA does not have a state park pass, they are free. The only boat fee on Tionesta is a launch fee for the lake. The Allegheny river is a great kayak ride, just have to make arrangements for a pick up down river. I live about 30 miles downriver in Franklin PA.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a while since I was in Ohio waters, but the last time I needed a registration even for a small sail boat (check Ohio online sites for info)
NY you don't need a registration unless you put a motor on it!

I live near and have been to Golden Hill SP. Lake Ontario is a deep lake and 'up welling' of cold bottom water occurs regularly. Lake temps near 60°F in august. Don't forget to check out the lighthouse in the park.

Things to do in WNY are many. Letchworth SP an Allegany SP are rated #1 & #2 SP in the country.
Check out my group on RVillage.com https://www.rvillage.com/group/2617/niagara-falls-things-to-do-or-done

If you need more info give me a shout, asking about specifics.
Bob

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mohican and Allegheny are beautiful. You'll probably have some partiers on the weekend in Mohican, I had some even in mid-February! As far as the kayak, Mohican river doesn't have much of a headwater so the river level will be completely dependent on how much rain we've had, but typically late August will be low enough that you'll be hitting the rocky bottom (better tubing or canoeing in late spring most years, though it's already down to 2.2' because of above normal temps and low rainfall).
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH