cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adjusting Weight Distribution Hitch

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of adding larger wheels and a minor 2in lift to my truck. My question is this. I have the equalizer weight distribution hitch. I am going to adjust the ball down one notch. My questions are: Do I need to adjust the height of the arms that hold the bars that are attached to the trailer. Are there any other adjustments/tips I should be aware of to dial it in properly?
10 REPLIES 10

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will need at least 2 holes lower than you started. Depending on your shank you may need to replace it to get enough drop.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
With the Equal-i-Zer brand hitch I have found it important to have the bars riding flat on the L brackets on the trailer. It cuts the noise down a lot. After using it for a little bit you can double check that by the shiny areas on the L brackets.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Go online and download your weight Distributing Hitch manual. Most makers have them online. Moving your hitch head down a notch should put you pretty close to where you need to be. What you need the manual for is to look up the torque specs for your hitch head bolts when you move them. It will also give you the correct setup procedure in case you have to do more.
I was lucky when I upgraded my TV. The hitch receiver was only 3/4" higher difference in height to ground. Connected my WDH as is and it's working great! Still went through the hitch manual measuring procedure to double check. TT is still level.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I simple level will tell you if you need to.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are moving the whole hitch head down one hole then there should be no need to change anything else. The difference in angle between the hitch head and trailer will not change enough to affect the weight distribution since you have raised the truck up about that amount.

In case you want to re-check or re-do it here is a link to a detailed procedure for setting up your WD hitch. I think you might find it helpful. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer backed my truck up to the level trailer, set the hitch ball 1 inch above the ball socket. The trailer was placed on the ball and the WD hitch links adjusted so the trailer sat level.

The empty trailer required 7 links, when full loaded for the road it takes 2 more links to bring it to level.

I have a Blue Ox and it has served us well for 5 years and almost 40,000 miles.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Here's the manual page for weight distribution setup.

Awesome thanks so much

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's the manual page for weight distribution setup.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
It's hard to say. If the holes in the hitch are exactly 2 inches apart. And your lift is exactly 2 inches, then there are no other adjustments necessary. But unfortunately we are not in a perfect world and I imagine you're going to have to set up the hitch again.

Forgive my ignorance. How do I set it up again? The dealer did it originally

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It's hard to say. If the holes in the hitch are exactly 2 inches apart. And your lift is exactly 2 inches, then there are no other adjustments necessary. But unfortunately we are not in a perfect world and I imagine you're going to have to set up the hitch again.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup