cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9’6” camper so I need an extension ??

Oneyeehaw
Explorer
Explorer
Help! I currently have a f350 7.3 diesel dually long bed truck. Just got the 9’6” camper upgraded from the 8’6” camper. My question is what will I do about the hitch for my horse trailer ? It’s rated for like 7k lbs (my trailers gvw). I have looked at the torklift but they don’t make a 12” extension. What do I do ?! Do I even need an extension? My horse trailer has a pointed type nose…. I don’t really like the $1900 price tag on the torklift and extension idea. Anyone have a better idea? Why can’t I find these parts used?! Anyone know of a place that sells them secondhand ?

Any help with this is appreciated.

1990 lance 9’6”
2001 f350 7.3 long bed dually diesel
1997 Logan 3 horse trailer gvw 7k
22 REPLIES 22

Oneyeehaw
Explorer
Explorer
Stevenal: Yes that’s the one!!! Looks like 1k lb tongue weight and 10k tow capacity.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well there aren’t any NEW cc, 4wd diesels anywhere near $53k today or for the last couple years at least.
But none of that matters. Buying a new truck if the old ones good and you’re not in the market is a really silly solution for a minor trailer hitch inconvenience.
Especially considering you CANT even get a short extension for a 3” hitch and the only short ones for 2.5” hitches are light duty and also reducers but aren’t rated for 7klb trailers. Nor have I seen extended length stingers for 2.5” and 3” receivers.

In the OPs specific situation assuming, since he hasn’t verified, that he needs 1ft or less extension, a 2” receiver, either the one he has or a heavier duty one, is the simplest viable solution with multiple options to get a small extension of hitch length.

Another possible option if it’s infrequent towing and the trailer works with the existing setup save for maybe extreme jack knifing or extreme breakover angle is run what ya bring and just pack an ample hitch extension along for the extreme situations. If there is concern about the hitch handling an extension load.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Oneyeehaw
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly ….. I’ll be sad when I have to replace my 7.3l. Love that truck and so many great memories and trips I’ve made in her. :(.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Oneyeehaw wrote:
Brophy bh20.10,000

This?

Not an extension, a nice long ball mount. Looks like a good choice.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
jimh406 wrote:
Oneyeehaw wrote:
I am saving my money now to buy a new truck. That price tag tho. ??

There are 22 years from what you have to current year. You probably can find a good one without actually buying new.

For the new ones, the prices are about 1/2 for the basic models compared to the fully loaded ones with 4 doors, all electronics, most expensive engine, etc.

Agreed.

When I finally broke down and replaced my 20yo truck people were telling me that I'd have to plunk down >=$80K for one.

My NOT stripped down/bottom of the line (Lariat/Diesel) cost $53K new.

I've been kicking myself ever since for waiting so long. 🙂

- Mark0.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oneyeehaw wrote:

There are 22 years from what you have to current year. You probably can find a good one without actually buying new.

For the new ones, the prices are about 1/2 for the basic models compared to the fully loaded ones with 4 doors, all electronics, most expensive engine, etc.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
And Torklift is “aftermarket” or idk what you were referring to. Cost? Looking for some cheap chinesium to hook your horses to? See my response above.

Pretty sure "aftermarket" means "used" in his mind.

As I said earlier there is no "aftermarket" for these, as in one central place were everyone goes to sell their used Torklift Superhitches. For one thing there aren't that many sold new to begin with. For another thing the people that choose to invest in them tend to be "lifers," as in they keep their trucks (and hitches) for as long as possible. For a final thing, they don't normally pull the hitch off the truck when it comes time to sell.

It never hurts to keep your eyes open, but if time is a factor, don't depend on one popping up on Craigslist of FB Marketplace when you need it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Oneyeehaw
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good thing you PMd me. The peanut gallery has already gotten ADHD I see…
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oneyeehaw wrote:
I have a 1 ton crew cab dually with the best Ford motor ever made.

I used to think that also... then I upgraded to a 6.7 diesel, I put it off for so long and now I just wish I would have upgraded earlier..

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oneyeehaw wrote:
I have a 1 ton crew cab dually with the best Ford motor ever made.

Nope, not the best Ford motor ever made. It was built by Navistar. 😄

Ford's best engines ever made are all gasoline engines.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Oneyeehaw
Explorer
Explorer
As replied to grit dog I’m not looking for a cheap Chinese **** hitch… just looking for a better solution to buying a $2000 torklift 24 inch extension when I only need 12 inches. And putting a $2000 hitch on my 20 year old truck just seems stupid and unnecessary. I have a 1 ton crew cab dually with the best Ford motor ever made.

Oneyeehaw
Explorer
Explorer
Brophy bh20.10,000

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
https://www.crbrophy.com/hitchacc.html

I'm not seeing a 12" extension listed. Note that all the extensions reduce the capacity of the hitch they attach to.

I tow a 6K rated boat trailer using an extra long ball mount on the factory hitch. The rear overhang on my BF is short and does not drop down.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4