cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9.6 Bigfoot Dual Batteries

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for 2 AGM batteries that will fit into my 2001 9.6 Bigfoot truck camper. I want them to fit in the stock location but most AGM's are pretty big. What is everyone using? Maybe I should just use 1 big AGM??

My storage box is 12" Wide X 11" Tall X 20" Deep.

I plan to pair this up with a 55 amp Boondocker and my Honda 2k genny.
27 REPLIES 27

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfeets,

I will share with you my system in my Bigfoot camper that I feel works well for me and my family and how I use and maintain it. I bought our camper new in Montana and had the dealer install 2-6 volt Trojan T-105 Plus batteries in the battery compartment that gives me 225 amp hours. A tight fit but managable. I knew that the stock converter/charger would fry the batteries if left unattented, so I called Randy at Bestconverter and bought a Xantrex XADC 60 to replace the stock Magnajunk unit that was in the camper after owning the camper only a month. I have added a solar system from AM Solar that is 200 watts and it works awesome and requires little to no attention.
I leave the camper plugged in year around under a carport at the house to keep the batteries topped off and to keep from freezing in the winter. When I am ready to use the camper for camping season I unplug the camper from the house and check the batteries water level. I add very, very little de-ionized water to them. The recomendation is to check the water level in the batteries monthly but I only do this once a year and like I said I add very, very little water to them.
When the camper is unplugged from the house the solar now takes over and keeps that batteries topped off, while driving down the road and at camp. My family and I are somewhat fruggle with our power needs but are not too dilagent with turning lights off etc. The batteries get topped off everyday before 11 am and the solar system floats them the rest of the day. When we get back from a trip, the camper goes back under the carport and the camper gets plugged back in until the next camping trip.
I feel that this is a set it and forget it type system and requires very little attention. This system allows me to just have fun at camp and not worry about running out of power. To ease the effort in topping off the water in the batteries I have thought about putting in a Trojan HydroLink watering system in but its not that bad to pull the 62 lbs. batteries out and give them a full inspection once per year. At the time of re-installing them I rotate them from front to back for whatever reason. Maybe to just decrease the exposure to the the outside compartment door, again for whatever reason.
So far the system has been flawless and when the batteries one day give up the ghost I might consider AGM's but I would have to justify the added expense and reaccess my power needs to not just stay with the same system that has been working for us for almost 5 years.
Just thought I would share my experience and system with you to give you some perspective, good luck in your quest for better power and remember that these system can be as complex or simple as you make them. Good info here on this site as well as Randy at Bestconverter.
Happy TC'N,
David

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfeets wrote:
I am trying to put 1 or 2 batteries in the basement and really don't want to do the maintenance associated with the wet cells. I have wet cells now and neglect them too much to justify buying the same type. I would like to set and forget them for the most part. Plus I want them to be in the heated basement where they can stay warm. It would be hazardous to keep flooded cells in the basement. I can also run the AGM's down pretty low and not do as much harm. Let's all face it we do push the limits of our batteries in times of need. No one is perfect and I just want to have fun.

As a power budget I would like 300-400 amp hours. I think I can fit a 4D in the stock battery compartment and another one in the basement. They will be about 6 feet apart but we will use 4ga to link them.

Your point of keeping the batteries warm is the primary reason I went to AGM batteries. I tend to use the camper in shoulder seasons ( I don't like crowds) so I can see temps down to 10f and I like the inside of the camper to be 70f even at night. This puts a real stain on a cold battery, half or more of it's capacity can be lost by cold temps and it takes forever to recharge those cold batteries, if ever.

I plan on keeping the batteries in the factory plastic housing but I will cut a couple of holes into the housing to mount a computer fan to circulate warm camper air around the batteries on cold nights/days. I will seal and insulated the exterior battery door. On my 2005 9.6 bigfoot there are two furnace vents that will blow towards the batteries if I keep the cabinet door below the sink open.
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
Would you reccomend it over an on board charger/inveter?
What would be reason for extended high voltage?
Though batteries seems to be a moving target Ops intent was 2 or 3 AGMs. In your opinion or information you based your decision on would it be more beneficial for Bigfeets intent and usage?
mark

I am having surgery today and will be out of pocket for the next few days. I understand the OP want as little maintenance effort as possible. I feel the same way as I have been 100% AGM since 2009.

The voltage is not extended, it is necessary until float. The converter/charger is primarily a power supply and that is why it is so quick to fall back to 13.6V.

Temperature compensation is very helpful as it adjusts the charging Volts according to the battery temperature. This is a key factor in unattended charging. Read the specs for the Xantrex Truecharge2. I don't have one but it will give you a good idea of what I would trust to leave unattended on my AGMs.

The portable charger measures its own temp, so it needs be placed so it can know the battery temp if left unattended.

I trust my two solar controllers to run unattended year round. The typical converter/charger is no where near as smart. I don't leave my WFCO unattended. Details of my systems are in my profile.

HTH;
John

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Would you reccomend it over an on board charger/inveter?
What would be reason for extended high voltage?
Though batteries seems to be a moving target Ops intent was 2 or 3 AGMs. In your opinion or information you based your decision on would it be more beneficial for Bigfeets intent and usage?
mark
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
Where did a portable charger idea come from? The Schumacher would be a nice unit to have on hand-Im really not sure bout using for camper-Id dump that idea. If its a matter of cost get a smaller unit-(Best has the 60amp 4 160)get a unit designed for the task. Maybe just me...I did note comment on the portable being able to increase voltage to 16v if a load is also present while charging? If I were to spring for 3 31 agms Id want to insure I could maintain them.

I have a portable Schumacher sc1200a 2/8/12A.

1. It has ambient temp compensation that most converter/chargers lack.

2. It holds 14+V where many converter/chargers drop to 13.6V too soon.

HTH;
John

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to put 1 or 2 batteries in the basement and really don't want to do the maintenance associated with the wet cells. I have wet cells now and neglect them too much to justify buying the same type. I would like to set and forget them for the most part. Plus I want them to be in the heated basement where they can stay warm. It would be hazardous to keep flooded cells in the basement. I can also run the AGM's down pretty low and not do as much harm. Let's all face it we do push the limits of our batteries in times of need. No one is perfect and I just want to have fun.

As a power budget I would like 300-400 amp hours. I think I can fit a 4D in the stock battery compartment and another one in the basement. They will be about 6 feet apart but we will use 4ga to link them.

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigfeets wrote:
Ooh Jeez I am really confused now, I hate too many choices!

Given your interest in the Boondocker and Schumacher chargers, you are likely to be better served by FLA's. I second HMS Beagle's nomination for the pair of 6V GC batt's!
What additional benefit are you hoping to get from AGM batteries that you're not currently getting from the pair of Group24 Interstate(?) FLA's??
And again... what's your power budget?

AnEv942 wrote:
If I were to spring for 3 31 agms Id want to insure I could maintain them.
Bingo!
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Where did a portable charger idea come from? The Schumacher would be a nice unit to have on hand-Im really not sure bout using for camper-Id dump that idea. If its a matter of cost get a smaller unit-(Best has the 60amp 4 160)get a unit designed for the task. Maybe just me...I did note comment on the portable being able to increase voltage to 16v if a load is also present while charging? If I were to spring for 3 31 agms Id want to insure I could maintain them.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all of the good info my friends! I will look into the Diehards and see if my brother can get them. He owns a battery shop so my choices are plenty.

I am not necessarily going to try to get to a true 100% while out camping and I don't think that will be a huge burden on the batteries with it only happening a few times a year. When I return home I think the boondocker should charge them to 100% just fine.

I mainly want to get a fast charge 1-3hrs and get the bulk of my amp hours back. Then when I hit the road every few days I can let the generator run for a bit longer to try and get closer to 100%.

Now the boondocker is looking attractive but the Schumaker would be less $$$ and portable. My magnatek does just fine except for charging. Maybe I should unhook the charger end of the magnatek and rely on the Schumaker.

Ooh Jeez I am really confused now, I hate too many choices!

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Bigfeets,
Have you done a power budget? How much capacity do you need and how much do you want?? Once you know how much power you actually need, you can decide between installing 2 or 3 batteries.

If you have your heart set on AGM's then I suggest that you take a look at the Group 31 Diehard Platinum's. These are made by EnerSys and are the same battery that is sold under the Odyssey brand. They are 13"L x 6.8"W x 9.5"tall... with your plan to remove the door, you just might be able to fit two of them in there.

IMHO, the Boondocker PM4B-75 & Honda 2K combo well likely never get your (~300+Ah) AGM to 100% SOC. Do you have plans to install any other charge source (solar? high output alternator?).

And finally, keep in mind that AGM batteries should never be installed in a sealed enclosure... despite the fact that they can be installed in a living space, they can vent hydrogen gas and this gas must not be allowed to accumulate. Plan for some ventilation.

Cheers
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfeets wrote:
What are everyone's thoughts on a Powermax Boondocker 75amp converter/charger for my 3 group 31 AGM's? I have a Honda 2000 that should power it fine.

I put in the 60amp Boondocker a while back and I LOVE it! It's a great true 3 stage charger/inverter. What an upgrade from the old crappy Magnatek! 🙂

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-10030A-SpeedCharge-Automatic-Maintainer/dp/B001MYWBF0

This one from Amazon looks attractive and it said it is good for AGM's! Now the only question is if my Honda 2k will power it.

However, Randy from BestConverters emailed me back and said that the Boondocker 75 amp would work good for the AGM's and be powered with my genny.

I'm thinking that since I don't camp all that often maybe 5-10 times a year that the portable schumacher might be a better choice and more universal for other needs. While camping I will use it for a bulk charge and when I get home set it to trickle and get them back to 100%.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfeets wrote:
What are everyone's thoughts on a Powermax Boondocker 75amp converter/charger for my 3 group 31 AGM's? I have a Honda 2000 that should power it fine.

If you haven't already got the 31s, check the discount clubs for 6V AGMs for $169 that might fit.

The last time I checked, Boondocker only does 13.6V after bulk. Most converter/chargers are like that. It would be ok if you are only interested in bulk charge followed by a good solar charger that holds 14+V in the Absorption stage.

Inverter/chargers seem to have smarter charging, but can be pricey if you do not also need an inverter.

Take a look at the Xantrex Trucharge2 as it has a nice charging profile, also pricey.

Some portable chargers, with an AGM setting, are ok for AGMs.

HTH;
John

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer