cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

88-00 GM ebrake adjustment.

blt2ski
Anybody have a link on how to change adjust the cable on my 8 lug 2500 from this time frame. I can not seem to figure out how I am supposed to shorten the cable so the brake works better.

Thanks

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
13 REPLIES 13

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Consider anti-seize on both the nut and threads after your are through...

I don't recommend copper, as iron is sacrificial to copper...Alu is sacrificial to iron

Paint it on anything, everything...or that is what I do, plus always have a can of primer/finish spray paint and touch-up anything remotely looking like it needs it, while underneath my vehicles
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

blt2ski
WD40, Pam and some other products were made/designed at Boeing back in the day trying to get products designed that did not work.
WD-40 was "water dispersment test #40" IIRC
PAM was trying to get a non petroleum lube oil type product. Good cooking spray.....
Yes it is just some road dirt etc that needs to be removed. Have a few of the brushes Ben talks about for cleaning stuff on boat. A really stiff tooth brush could work too!

Marty

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO...

Only if the nut to thread is frozen via rust/crud/etc...

If the nut isn't rusted to the thread, then the accumulation of road crud just needs to be brushed off and the threads lube'd

WD40 is NOT a lube per-say, but a protective coating that has 'some' lube properties...

This is the welders wire brush I use for cleaning the parking brake (Marty's is and older vehicle when it was also an E-Brake)

Click For Full-Size Image.

Long Wooden Handled Brass Welding Wire Brush
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:

Need to take some WD40 to adjusting bolt, may try to get another 1/2" of shortening to the cable.

PB Blaster or AreoKroil plus a little bit heat would be more effective than WD40.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

blt2ski
The brakes definitely hold better on the 25-30% grade my dads driveway is now. Stops a bit quicker too!
Need to take some WD40 to adjusting bolt, may try to get another 1/2" of shortening to the cable. In the meant time, quite happy with results......

Marty

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
This is the tightener, but image shows the J bolt and nut backwards...the nut should be on the flat side and the J would pull the cable deeper into the slot

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-brake-cable-adjuster-universal-03006/5014557-p?c3ch=...

This is how it looks when installed

-Ben Picture of my rig

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to check out...

The rear shose friction thickness and the star adjuster...both has to do with it's "reach" to the drum

Also, consider using a fine wire brush to clean off the adjuster threaded rod. I usr a welders brush...looks like a giant tooth brush...first spray the threads with WD40 or some such. Key 2 things this does is to remove all buklt up roas crud...that jams up the nut...so it won't bind and freeze itself to the rod....and...lubes the mating nut to thread

Oh...they used to sell a clamp that decreases the cable lenght...puts a bend into the cable. Contacts the cable in three points....center pulls the cable while rge two other pionts keep the cable straight
-Ben Picture of my rig

blt2ski
Rear drums a bit loose. 5-6 clicks......not much.
Cable, definitely stretched! Moved the nut over an inch! Pedal is not at the floor, but a bit off. ALong with one can feel the brakes engaging as you push the pedal down. Will see how it works on my dads driveway tomorrow evening. 10' rise in 30-32' horizontal run. Part in middle is a bit steeper than the actual rise over run will net tho!
Along with rotating tires for the first time in 35K miles! Rears were a bit more worn than the front. Left rear worst than right rear. Probably due to the open diff, and that tire spinning more than the other........

Marty

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Yep if it is going to the floor it is stretched and needs adjusting. Note that you will want to spry it with Kroil or PB Blaster and let it soak in fro a few days before you try and adjust it. Also after adjusting it up try to not push the pedal all the way down. Only apply enough pressure to hold the truck in place. You can add some over sized bolt (one size larger) to take up some slack if you can't get the cable to adjust up enough. I have done this if someone couldn't afford to replace the cable.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

blt2ski
Thank you Don.
That is a better description than I found last night. Only took 3-4 searches. Would have thought it would have been easier.
In my case, after 17 years, multiple stops on 15-30% grades like my dad's driveway.....assuming cable has stretched some. Rear drums could be out also...they only have 8000 or so miles on them. E brake pedal goes all the way to floor. Something is wrong.

Marty

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Trace the single cable coming from the cab along the frame rail until you find where the two cables going to the rear drum/rotors are located. You will find a tee bar with the single cable in the middle. There you will find the cable turns into a bolt with a nut (there maybe one on each side of the tee). Using a pair of vice grips clamped onto the bolt portion lossen the nut on the side facing the cab and tighten the other to adjust the pads up. Make sure you do not twist the cable or it will break! This is why you use the vice grips and not a 1/4 or 5/16 wrench! Do not ask how I know lol.

Note that if this is a drum vehicle before you adjust the cable make sure the shoes are adjusted correctly first!!!! Nine times out of ten you will find the shoes are out of adjustment not the cable. Adjusting the shoes will/should give you more peddle, unless the cable has stretched.

Don

This is from a GM/Chevy truck site.

PARK BRAKE ADJUSTMENT
Release the park brake pedal.
Raise the vehicle.
Clean the threads on the front park brake cable.
Adjust the park brake cable until the right brake is locked.
Apply and release the park brake 5 times.
With the park brake in the release position, adjust the park brake until the right rear brake develops a slight drag.
Back off the adjusting nut 2 complete turns.

You still need to check the brake adjustment first before you adjust the cable!!!!!
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Check YouTube for a video
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III