cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.4 ram gasser? General gas towing questions

JBrady5555
Explorer
Explorer
Hello folks, first time poster here, if this post looks a little weird it's because I copy and pasted from a post I made at the bobistheoilguy forum. They referred me here, looking forward to joining the community here.

Hey folks my last few posts here at bitog have been about finding a good used 3/4 ton diesel to upgrade from my f150 2.7 eco. I'm having a hard time finding a good pre emmissions truck in my price range that isn't junk and many people here have recommended a gasser which honestly I didn't really entertain. I'm now thinking that may be a good option considering towing mpg between the gassers and the diesels are almost identical from my research.

I'd love a 6.2 f250 but they are hard to find used and when you do they are just about as expensive as the diesels. I've been looking at the 6.4 rams which seem to have good reviews and I wanted to see what this community thought of that engine/drive train combo? Does dodge still have weak transmissions? The 6.2 seems to out class the 6.4 but the ram hits my price range in the low 20ks far more often than I can find the f250s.

For the record my f150 tows my new 7600lb gvw 33ft travel trailer pretty good but I'm up against payload and weight and I'd really like to add a 50 gallon tank in the truck bed so I don't have to weasel in and out of tight gas stations every 150 miles. Would be far easier to fill up in a rest area with a added tank.

Looking for any info on gas vs diesel towing, hoping to be convinced that gas is a viable option for me(full time rver, 15k a year/60% towing). Any info on the 3/4 or 1 ton gassers, especially the ram 6.4 would be appreciated. Also any info on aux tanks for gassers would be great, if I'm not mistaken all gasoline tanks have to be manually pumped right?

Thanks
51 REPLIES 51

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
VernDiesel wrote:
If looking for a Ram 2500 get the soon to be released 8 speed transmission. It will be a fairly substantial improvement all around. Mileage, acceleration, especially towing with excellent gear spacing, durability. I transport TTs for the Mfgs. 535,000 miles on the 8 speed transmission only fluid and filter changes.

X2 - I absolutely hated the transmission on my 2017 Ram 6.4. Even while not towing. Took a trip to Lake Lure NC and did some mountain driving - not towing. The transmission frequently got lost - didn't know what to do going uphill. Stepped on the gas and nothing on the switchbacks.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
2018 6.4 gasser with 4.10โ€™s. Iโ€™ve only had it about 6 months and have only a few short tows with it so the jury is out on towing MPG.
I just completed a full tank with about 80% highway and 20% city and I drove conservatively the whole time just to see what I could get. MPG gauge showed 17 and hand figured was 16 so the difference between the two was closer than I thought it would be.
Iโ€™m looking forward to a few long tows this year to see if I can get in the 8โ€™s like some others. Time will tell.
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10โ€™s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired

msb1766
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn with the 6.4 hemi with 3.73 rear gear.
It has plenty of power, I get 12-13 daily driving.
Towing as high as 12 mpg and low of 8 mpg.
It has a 32 gallon gas tank.

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
If looking for a Ram 2500 get the soon to be released 8 speed transmission. It will be a fairly substantial improvement all around. Mileage, acceleration, especially towing with excellent gear spacing, durability. I transport TTs for the Mfgs. 535,000 miles on the 8 speed transmission only fluid and filter changes.

fwiw a double axle box TT towing 65 mph I'll average 14 mpg 15 with an Airstream in the 7,000 pound range that you are towing. I frequently tow 350 miles from Dayton Oh to St Louis MO on the little 26 gallon tank. I do have a tune which has been good for over 1 mpg towing. But if you are planning on stepping up to a TT larger than 8k wet the 2500 is a better tool for the job IE suspension axle ratings. Edit I have a Ram Ecodiesel. New 18s built into December are still available mid to high 30s OTD with a 100k warranty.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No, I'm talking transfer tanks. Perfectly legal with the right tank in a lot of jurisdictions. I can't comment on all, but look up some regualtory codes and also RDS tank website has some applicable information on what is a DOT approved design etc.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Lantley wrote:
JBrady5555 wrote:
Any insight on adding a secondary gas tank to a gas vehicle?

I know your asking about aux. tanks,However diesels have the advantage of being able to use aux. tanks. Aux. tanks for gasoline are generally illegal and unavailable. Diesels also have a greater fuel range which means you can go farther on a tank of gas. With a diesel you can fuel up at trucks stops when towing, and avoid tiny gas stations and the anxiety that comes with finding a station you can fit into.
Lastly all modern diesels now come with exhaust brakes, that really make a difference when towing in the mountains.

This is a bit of an untruth. There are plenty of DOT certified transfer tanks and while local regulations may differ, the states I've been in DO allow for it.
A person's comfort hauling a large qty of gas in a transfer type tank may vary, but it is legal and it is done regualrly.
Mfgs make DOT certified transfer tanks for gas. Recreational trailer mfgs make trailers like towyhauler S and motorsports trailers with built in gas tanks and pumps.
I'm not advocating or speaking against it, just stating the facts.

Our SandSport toy hauler has a 20 gallon gas tank with pump built in. Have never used it but would be a option for OP to get into a trailer with one too. We only ride dirtbikes and since they are 2stroke I have to mix anyways so I just use the 5gallon dump cans instead. Have considered putting diesel in it for my truck to extend the range but so far haven't ran into a situation where I'd need it.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

smurfs_of_war
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I am late to the party. 6.4 gasser will handle the weight you stated handily, but I suspect you knew that. As for a weak transmissikn- no. I really don't think so. Full disclosure- I did have a trans go out on me in my '14 2500. That said, I had an engine go on one of my Fords, and one of our GMs out here had a trans failure- twice now. It's all a **** shoot. My current '15 2500 66rfe is holding strong. Nice and crisp and tight and I still use it for "farmer towing" which translates loosely to: if it can be hooked up, I'm going to tow it.

I wouldn't shy away from a gasser if that's what you're after, nor would I shy away from either a 6.4 or a 6.2. Both great platforms ๐Ÿ™‚

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Lantley wrote:
JBrady5555 wrote:

I know your asking about aux. tanks,However diesels have the advantage of being able to use aux. tanks. Aux. tanks for gasoline are generally illegal and unavailable. Diesels also have a greater fuel range which means you can go farther on a tank of gas. With a diesel you can fuel up at trucks stops when towing, and avoid tiny gas stations and the anxiety that comes with finding a station you can fit into.
Lastly all modern diesels now come with exhaust brakes, that really make a difference when towing in the mountains.

This is a bit of an untruth. There are plenty of DOT certified transfer tanks and while local regulations may differ, the states I've been in DO allow for it.
A person's comfort hauling a large qty of gas in a transfer type tank may vary, but it is legal and it is done regualrly.
Mfgs make DOT certified transfer tanks for gas. Recreational trailer mfgs make trailers like towyhauler S and motorsports trailers with built in gas tanks and pumps.

Do you consider an Auxiliary tank and a transfer tank the same thing?
I believe there is a difference. They are treated differently by the regulators as well. My comments refer to Aux. tanks.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:
JBrady5555 wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Save some more money and buy what you really want.

It sounds to me like you are compromising on a 6.4 Hemi when you really want a diesel. Deal with your current truck and save $$$$. The path from half ton to gas 3/4 ton to diesel 3/4 ton is expensive...very expensive. expensive.

JMHO based on experience.

Thanks,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Diesels also have a greater fuel range which means you can go farther on a tank of gas. With a diesel you can fuel up at trucks stops when towing, and avoid tiny gas stations and the anxiety that comes with finding a station you can fit into.

Boy ain't that the truth. We just did a 5,231 trip using 382 gallons of diesel in total and I could drive 370 miles on one tank of fuel. Generally I'd fill up on our lunch break each day. Truck stops and other gas stations will sometimes have RV pumps too which the big rigs will not use but are away from the general public and their insanity around the gas pumps.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ttavasc
Explorer II
Explorer II
JBrady5555 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
JBrady5555 wrote:

Yea I still would like to have the extra tank even if it has to be manually pumped.

Titan Fuel Tanks makes a small 15-gallon aux transfer tank called the Sidekick which is certified for use with gasoline as well as most other flammable liquids. You use a shaker siphon to transfer the fuel to your main tank. At ~$470 it's not cheap though.

Titan Sidekick Aux Fuel Tank
TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4, Roadmaster Active Suspension

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Getting between 12-13 MPG with my 6.4 Ram 4.10 gears around town. Only have 700 miles on it and haven`t had it out for any long highway trips.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
JBrady5555 wrote:
NWnative wrote:
I chose the 6.2 for my towing needs. With the 4.30 gears it's rated to tow 15000lbs (would never tow that much with it). It's a bullet proof platform. Over on the Ford forums, lots if high mileage units that have been very reliable.

I'm leaning that direction as well. What is your towing mpg and unloaded mpg?

Towing 8000lb Airstream anywhere from 8-10mpg. Unloaded 12ish around town and I get 14ish on the highway doing 70mph.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
My 6.2 tows my 10,000 gvwr camper very well and holds my usual tow speed 63 mph all times. I haven't had it in the rockies but I think it would do ok there too. It has 3:73 gears and will downshift to 3rd on the bigger hills. I think if I had 4:10 gears it probaly wouldn't shift down to 3rd very often and I may even be able to use 6th on road with moderate hills.