cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2WD or 4X4 for a truck camper

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Okay,this is for hauling a truck camper only and what a new guy should get when going to buy a truck camper..

Here is a pretty honest opinion of the pro's and con's of both and yes,he has a truck camper..Northern lite 10-2

2WD vs 4WD with TC only

Do you "Really Need" a 4X4 with a truck camper?..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
219 REPLIES 219

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
My own thought here is without knowing the specific situation, driving ability, and equipment it is very hard to draw accurate conclusions about anyone else's capability beyond my own.

Or as my dear old granny used to day - she'd say "possum head, you are none too bright and even less to look at so why post negativity when there be plenty of real reasons for folks to dislike you who actually know you?" Yep, that's what she used to say. 🙂

Steve

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I get the impression that some owners spend money on new expensive trucks with lots of bells and whistles and forget the practical features like 4 wheel drive.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When I read some replies - I am getting impression that some owners spend all their money on expensive truck and had nothing left for driving lessons.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
KKELLER14K wrote:
Just used my granny

When was the last time a truck came with a manual trans with a granny low gear??

Does Dodge even still offer it with the Cummins?

Low range is great when you have an auto trans.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
4x4, can't get up our driveway without it. 🙂

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Obvious answer to anyone with experience.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
4WD for me.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
Also, I don’t know of too many instances where “you want to play, you’ve got to pay!” doesn’t apply. Especially here in Illinois— I swear they’re trying to destroy this state with their crooked Cook County Government. ??
In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8’ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
OK ...... this is getting a little off topic from “camper on truck” , but when I hear someone say their 4WD is costing them “thousands” of dollars I’m thinking to myself “surely they don’t take their vehicle to the dealer or shop for repairs and maintenance???
I understand not everyone “can” work on their vehicles, or “wants” to work on their vehicles, but I don’t believe “thousands”. I call BS on that one. Makes me wonder about operator abuse, and lack of attention to maintenance schedules (preventative). I like doing my own work, saves a ton of money, and in most cases I get a better quality repair or service. I just think we need to be fair when we’re saying “costs thousands over the life of the truck” how are we quantifying that expense to the owner, and if an owner isn’t capable or willing to perform his own work then that might be a good reason for choosing between the 2WD and 4WD option. Rant over- 😉
In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8’ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just used my granny 4x4 gear to back up a boat trailer into a grassy area of my friends place, not a steep incline but wet grass and level at the top. Sure enough, my rear tires start to spin...stop immediately and put it in 4x4 low and it creeped up with no spin at all. Again glad I had it..same could be said if you have a TC while using it in slippery situations comes in real handy. Using 4x4 on the leveling blocks works great.

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
Good cases to be made for all manufacturers and models. We had dually diesel, went to Ford 6.2 gasser. Of course our campers have weighed in at 3,600 pounds, not 4,500, but we have been all over out West and never had an issue. In the real elevations we lock out 5th and 6th overdrives and occasionally run in 3rd, may have shifted down into 2nd a time or two very briefly. Still all and all we would not switch back to diesel. it's just a choice, no right or wrong. We also own a fifth wheel and have had no issue with that either. 🙂 Again whatever floats your boat.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW..I have 40 acres outside of Peach Springs off route 66.. Fantastic place to camp out...the weather can turn on a dime been there at 14 degrees and fresh snow...lol. 5000 feet altitude. REALLY... back to the OP question. What type of insurance do you want to buy? Well, what you want to do and where and what will you do and go with your TC? It is a simple question you have to ask yourself. No one is doing anything wrong...we all have a purpose as to how we use our mobile shelters. Regardless, IMHO, I prefer to lean towards something with a little bit more traction. You may never need it but when you do and learn how to use it..remember this..even using a granny gear to get on blocks it is worth it.

swines
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should buy what you want. Personally, I've had 4wd trucks since 1971. I got my first truck camper in 1991. I don't think I've been on a camping trip where I haven't used 4wd at least once. Sometimes for additional vehicle control, other times for traction. I find low range extremely useful for crawling slowly over rocky Forest Service roads.

For those people who don't need 4wd in snow - okay - good for you. I grew up in Michigan. My father didn't believe in either limited slip differentials or snow tires. Honest - I know how to drive in the snow in 2wd with bias-ply, nylon, highway tires without getting stuck. I simply prefer not to do that kind of driving, as 4wd provides far more control.

I could cite numerous examples of my use of 4wd with a camper, but I'm not sure it would make any difference to those who have made up their minds that 4wd is a waste of money.

But, here are just a few examples - maybe you'll understand why I have chosen 4wd for use with my camper.

I've been in mud so deep I had to put chains on the front wheels to gain steering control so I wouldn't end up in a ditch 50 miles from any type of help. I've been on Wolf Creek Pass in a blizzard. I've been through Titus Canyon in Death Valley. I've woken up in Seligman, AZ greeted by a fresh, 10-inch snow fall, and then had to drive I-40 through Flagstaff at 30 MPH in a continuing snow storm. That's only a few examples of my use of 4wd with a camper.

If you never do those kind of things with your camper and truck - you don't need 4wd. If you DO want to do those kind of things in 2wd - have at it. I know I don't.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many years back friend bought new 4X4 pickup, with big plans to cut firewood on his land and sell it in town. After the 2nd winter most of firewood money had gone to bodyshop because the trees would not get out of his way. I had a rusted out 3/4 ton 2WD. I had bought only for the 283. We stuck a I6 in the truck and hauled it to his place. About 5 years later, I looked at that old truck. Still ran, no glass, 1 fender, no left door, the right was plywood, just to keep saws from falling out. He uses it to pull trailer load of wood to the gravel, hooks up to his nice 4X4 truck, heads to town.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, I didn’t forget that part. Posting a long time at rv.net or doing anything for a long time doesn’t mean you know what you are talking about. Also, someone else being afraid to go somewhere with a 4WD doesn’t mean it wouldn’t go there.

The key part remains though ... that author said 2WD got stuck and had to be winched out. That’s the central point of the whole thread. You say 2WD are just as good as 4WD, and that still isn’t true even if you quote something in the archives.

For those who don’t know, it doesn’t have to be particularly old to be in archive or have any particular amount of wisdom. It’s just an older post.

Nice try though jaycocreek to try to add some anonymous proof, but as noted, it didn’t quite work.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member