cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2024 new RV leaks

prriosrn
Explorer II
Explorer II

I just bought a 2024 Heartland Mallord from Camping World in Ashland, VA.  I took the RV out 5 weeks later to find out it has had a leak from the weather stripping at the roof.  They now want to gut the bedroom and replace everything.  I requested a replacement of the exact RV, they hung up on me!!  You cannot make this stuff up!!  Any advice?  There is no lemon law and they are trying to stick me with a manufacturers defective RV.  I contacted the manufacturer and am waiting.  I have had the RV 5 weeks!!  Has anyone been through this?  Would appriciate any advise!!   THX

15 REPLIES 15

wildmanbaker93
Explorer II
Explorer II

Instead of getting all of the "arm chair lawyers" answers, try getting in contact with your state Attorney General department.  They will either give an answer or direct you to the correct department for advice/help.  Good Luck.

Canadian_Canoer
Explorer
Explorer

I purchased a trailer which also ended up having water damage from a cracked drain pipe under the shower. The dealer repaired it to my satisfaction but at the end of the camping season I couldnโ€™t live with the thought of potential mould behind the walls so I traded it in. I negotiated with the dealer to purchase a more expensive unit with a very good trade-in value on the previously damaged unit. My PDI was much more extensive on the new unit and I refused to take deliver 5x until everything was to my satisfaction. Weโ€™ve had our new trailer for the last two years and love it. Good luck. 

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II

It seems like you bought the wrong trailer. There are trailers out there that will have zero defects when you take delivery. They are either the ones before and after your unit on the assembly line or they are trailers built with top quality in mind. Those will probably run you four to six times what you paid for your unit. Maybe you should look at the high end/custom trailer builders. The rest of us will buy equipment with some fixable flaws, have them fixed under warranty, and enjoy our time on the road instead of expecting more than we are paying for.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Let me know where to send my Go Fund Me!!  Are you seriously going to give me this response? Do you have an educated/proven advice?

Please people, stop responding if you have nothing good to say.  I am in touch with the manufacturer who is talking with Camping World to see what all the repairs intails so they can resolve my issue.  I am also working with a lawyer to get his advice.  If you have no good advice for me, move on please.  I have enough fustration right now.  Sorry if I'm shocked it's okay to buy something less than perfect!!  If my house flooded I wouldn't sit back and say oh well!!!!  Why do I have to with my 2nd home?  And further more, why did you?

Jeez dude, you come here for advice from seasoned RV'ers who give you real world experience. It sounds like you're upset because no one is telling you what you want to hear. RVs are known to be poor quality. Especially ones at the lower end. You have to exercise a LOT of due diligence. We have all had issues with our RVs. The manufacturer will take care of it during warranty. What exactly is it you are looking for? Don't blame the messenger. 

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

prriosrn
Explorer II
Explorer II

I appriciate your taking the time to respond.  This is my first RV and my first time buying a broken toy.  I am suprised how most of you are agreeable that buying something broken is okay.  I did not intend to buy a new toy to sit in someone elses garage.  I bought it to use, and have lost time already.  I am also worried about the damage I cannot see until they start tearing it apart and the damage I will find down the road such as mold, rust, etc.  Will the new construction be under warranty?  Will it be of the same quality?  I was hoping to hear from someone who has experience with this issue since it is a very common issue with all RV's.  i was definately NOT prepaired to hear from fellow RVers to just suck it up!!

@prriosrn wrote:

Will the new construction be under warranty?  Will it be of the same quality?  I was hoping to hear from someone who has experience with this issue since it is a very common issue with all RV's.  i was definately NOT prepaired to hear from fellow RVers to just suck it up!!

the repairs will be covered under your original warenty as if it is part of the original trailer, and it should be better quality in all honesty, have you seen how rv's are built?  

to be honest almost all of us have been though simuler situations, my 5th wheel was in the shop quite a bit in the first year it is rare to get a perfect unit off the start, but yet we keep over paying for junk.

you are being told to suck it up because you demand for a new unit is totaly unreasonable, and has no legal basis, it was pointed out that the lemon law doesnt apply untill three unsucsesfull repairs on the same issue, you don't have one so it doesnt matter.  the rv is sold with a warenty which means they have a right to repair any defects that arise and no where in your contract or the warenty papers does it say they have to give you a new unit so quite frankly your attitude towards this is totaly unreasonable and Im sure you didn't want to hear that and you were hoping 100 people would post " ya man go get them they owe you a new trailer plus you money back"  but I can't see that happening. 

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Your thinking is probably one of the reasons I am going through this situation.  If all RVers refused damaged goods I wouldn't be here.  The lemon law does NOT cover towed RV's at all.  Your thinking that I should just put my tail between my legs and take my hat off does not make sense!!  I disocovered the leak in a day!!!  I am not responsible for a manufactures defect!!  Nor should I have to wait for the repairs, who knows what all they will find, mold? rust? And what will be the long term affects.  I refuse to suck it up when I haven't even so much as run water, flushed a toilet, used the stove microwave, or uncovered the matress!  How you accept buying a broken toy is beyond my comprehension.  You may be right everyone of you might be laughing at me rather than giving me good advice.  I grew up with different values!!

I am asking for an identicle replacement, one that isn't broken.  I am not asking for my money back, I'm not being unreasonable.  I paid for a quality RV  through a respectable manufacturer and I expect to get the quality I paid for!  I expected to be camping this weekend......

I think everyone is being a bit too hard on this newbee. I have seen instances on this forum where the required repairs were so extensive that the manufacturer replaced the whole unit. Rare, yes, but it does happen. So the question for me is how extensive does the repair have to be to justify replacement? Is gutting the bedroom and replacing everything sufficiently extensive? Probably not, but that doesn't mean the OP was unreasonable to ask. I think most everyone could be more welcoming to newbee's.

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

@CarnationSailor wrote:

I have seen instances on this forum where the required repairs were so extensive that the manufacturer replaced the whole unit. Rare, yes, but it does happen. So the question for me is how extensive does the repair have to be to justify replacement? Is gutting the bedroom and replacing everything sufficiently extensive? Probably not, but that doesn't mean the OP was unreasonable to ask. I think most everyone could be more welcoming to newbee's.

ahh but you talking about a situation after they started the repairs they found it was much more extensive then they thought, then it becomes a cost issue is it cheeper for them to replace it or to fix it..  but before they have even started to ask for a new unit , ya it is unreasonable, now if uoi were still doing your PDI inspection and noticed the issue then thats a different issue all togeather as you havent acepted delivery of the unit yet and I would be asking for them to bring a different unit for me to look at also.  but you have to let the system work, if they open it up and the find the dammage is much more extensive than they thought they will contact the OP and give him options.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

so let me see if I have this right, you bought a new RV and found out there is a leak.  the dealer wants to fix it (I am assuming under warenty as it is only 5 weeks old)   why would you even request a new RV when they are going to fix it?  I would have hung up also but I would have been rolling on the floor laughing first..  it has a leak and they are stepping up to fix it and it will be better than when you bought it.  the manufacture isn't going to do anything for this aside from authorize the repair which they probably have already done. 

you want advice, let them fix it and then enjoy your trailer

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Asking for a whole new RV is, quite frankly, unreasonable. Even if lemon law applied to RVs, it wouldn't apply on the first occurrence of a problem. Needs to have three unsuccessful attempts to repair before it's declared a lemon.

You signed a contract that undoubtedly has language in it that gives the dealer and manufacturer the opportunity to remedy the issue through repair. They are never going to give you a new unit.

Maybe you should have demanded your money back. Now your only choice is to tuck your tail between your legs, take your hat in hand, and apologize to the dealer.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Why do I need to put my tail between my legs?  And appoligize for their poor construction.  I did not pay for a 2024 unit to be out of commission for months to repair.  You make it sound like it's my fault!!

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II

What is the problem with letting the unit get repaired to what will be better than new? If you did manage to get a new replacement it will have been made on the same line by the same people to the same standard. Do you really want to start all over again?

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member