cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2022 F-150 Can Not install aftermarket brake controller!!!!!

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been searching for a brake controller connecting wire for my new truck so I can hook up my Prodegy 3 controller and guess what.....I can't. I have to buy an OEM controller and have it flashed to the computer$400.When I looked online there were so many conflicting fitments so I called the dealership. The truck came with a hitch and a 4/7 pin connector soooo you would think if you HAD to have THEIR controller it would already be there.I bought one off the lot in January so I did not spec it but come on Ford...really?? Am I right in thinking if it has a 7 pin it should already have the controller as part of that package...or am I just becoming a cranky old man?
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM
38 REPLIES 38

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
edit
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
Ford needs to have a "work mode" for the truck that disables most of the alarms and warnings when towing and working with the truck.
I am curious if the warnings are different if using the OEM controller.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2021 F150, and YES getting anything other than a factory brake controller is a pain. Also yes, it is bordering on silly that with all the trailer equipment and options the truck has... it doesn't just come with a factory brake controller.

I ended up buying a Curt wireless brake controller that you plug in between the trailer plug and truck. Worked great this summer.

https://www.napaonline.com/accessories/curt-echo-mobile-trailer-brake-controller/27a7ac21?cid=paidse...

and also YES, the 2.7 twin turbo and 10 speed transmission pull fantastic. Feels much smoother, and more powerful, than my previous 2008 F250 with the 5.4.

Fuel mileage is amazing - I can almost hit 30mpg on the highway not towing. Towing it drops way down to 11mpg, but that is 1mpg better than the 2008 F250's 10mpg. Towing a trailer around town my F150 gets around 16mpg, my 2008 F250 got around 9mpg.

Before I bought this truck with this engine I just didn't know how good V6 engines have gotten.

The "alarms" on the truck are ridiculous. The "cross traffic alert disabled" alarm bings everytime I hook up a trailer (along with a couple other warning alarms)... and I don't even know what that is, lol!

Ford needs to have a "work mode" for the truck that disables most of the alarms and warnings when towing and working with the truck.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NEVER been too impressed with the P2 or P3. OE is MUCH better.
My P3 works great with my disc brakes. And I agree if my truck had the option to add a factory controller I would go with the factory unit.

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the ford ranger and this may apply to F series. the brake controller is not a ford or motorcraft part. It is made by an australian company and works with emergency braking systems. Or so they say. Since mine was installed when I hook up my 4 pin cargo trailer I get a message that cross traffic warnings have been disabled. Going to tow a "real" trailer Sunday. Just bought a Micro Minnie.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
LittleBill wrote:
not really sure who told you, you can't get a harness, but etrailer sure seems to think there is one......

p3 in a 2022.

Here is the wiring harness..

2 pages and its a 3 second google search.

e-trailer didn't think so just a few days ago. The search results were just stubs for non-existent products.

I would still like to see someone ACTUALLY installing one successfully. The video on e-trailer is of a 2020.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
not really sure who told you, you can't get a harness, but etrailer sure seems to think there is one......

p3 in a 2022.

Here is the wiring harness..

2 pages and its a 3 second google search.

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you all for your insight and input.I have had the OEM controller installed by the dealer. After using my Ford points that you get for buying/leasing a vehicle it cost a little over $200. I lease the truck so I did not want to go splicing into the wiring. Also everything in this truck is computer controlled and I certainly don't want to screw anything up. I have in the past wired the entire brake and charging systems for my towing set up in my vehicles but these new ones are out of my league. Once again thank you all.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Adam R wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Adam R wrote:
I have a Prodigy that I move between three of my vehicles as needed. No problems with it working as intended and doing its job.

That’s nice…

Point being that it's easy enough to wire in an aftermarket controller as others have stated. None of my vehicles came with a factory brake controller option, but with power and a brake light switch wire it's pretty easy to get any vehicle wired up.

My apologies. I see what you were trying to get across to the OP. I was doing the same, but he has chosen to ignore or not respond to the one simple thing that would make wiring in an aftermarket controller possible given the lack of any factory harnesses to plug into regardless of whether they are for the integrated unit or aftermarket units.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You left too soon as did I. Raining and cool up here!

Have a safe trip.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
You want the Ford controller, the reason they have to flash the PCM is because of the anti-sway software. The computer uses input from all suspension and powertrain sensors to detect sway and apply the TT brakes as needed, something you will never get with an aftermarket unit, as good as the P3 is.

I agree you would think if you have the trailer connector it would have the controller...maybe the chip shortage played a factor and it got shipped without it? At any rate, with the $$ you have wrapped up in that new truck, spend a few $$ extra to get the Ford controller and have it programmed in, you will never gat the level of performance otherwise. Write the check and enjoy your new truck!

Side note, did you see the video posted here of another forum member taking his 7200 lb TT up Monteagle grade in TN with his little 2.7? Really impressive performance! Hard to say, but it pulled better than my old Suburban with the 8.1L!

My 2021 2.7 is faster than my old 1967 Camaro SS/RS 350. 325HP 400 LB/FT. "It's got Twins!"

On spring trip North presently..

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Adam_R
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Adam R wrote:
I have a Prodigy that I move between three of my vehicles as needed. No problems with it working as intended and doing its job.

That’s nice…

Point being that it's easy enough to wire in an aftermarket controller as others have stated. None of my vehicles came with a factory brake controller option, but with power and a brake light switch wire it's pretty easy to get any vehicle wired up.

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Quick Question: Do any of you with the under dash plugs have safety braking on your vehicles?

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
I am buying a Ranger with a tow package. And safety braking features. Only one brake controller is compatible. Ford gets around $336 for it. But will not factory install. Go figure. Almost everyone is towing with the new ranger. The brake wire has to be run back to the cab brake light. For some reason it screws up the braking system if tied into the harness under the dash. Lots of good and also bad you tube videos on it.