cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2022 F-150 Can Not install aftermarket brake controller!!!!!

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been searching for a brake controller connecting wire for my new truck so I can hook up my Prodegy 3 controller and guess what.....I can't. I have to buy an OEM controller and have it flashed to the computer$400.When I looked online there were so many conflicting fitments so I called the dealership. The truck came with a hitch and a 4/7 pin connector soooo you would think if you HAD to have THEIR controller it would already be there.I bought one off the lot in January so I did not spec it but come on Ford...really?? Am I right in thinking if it has a 7 pin it should already have the controller as part of that package...or am I just becoming a cranky old man?
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM
38 REPLIES 38

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
enblethen wrote:
Maybe the dealer can connect P3 as indicated by Tekonsha information!
Could call etrailer person for more information.

What part of THERE IS NO INFORMATION do people not get?

Tekonsha has out and said, "there is no adapter harness."

etrailer's information is just a placeholder on their site. It doesn't even go anywhere.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not all Fords come with the harness. The higher the option list, the more likely the harness is there.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe the dealer can connect P3 as indicated by Tekonsha information!
Could call etrailer person for more information.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dcb17b wrote:
Mike134 I really didn't realize there were options like that. The price of that is not much less than the factory one. My original intention was to spend $20 or so to buy a pigtail and hookup my P3. Not being able to do that was not expected. My truck is a lease so I'd rather the dealership go poking around and taking things apart.

If In fact, the controller/adapter plugs into the integrated brake controller pigtail in the truck, you could just buy the adapter and splice it to your P3. The 4 wires do the same things regardless of brand of controller.
As itโ€™s offered by etrailer, a reputable supplier, what Mike134 posted may work.
However, at some point you need to actually look at what your truck has and if the truck pigtail is the same plug, then youโ€™re probably in luck.
The adapter in the etraielr add only pins out 4 of many pins in the truck side plug. Seems reasonable it just ignores the integrated part ( the other pin locations on that plug) and connects just the business end of things.
Again, pretty easy to get some certainty of that if you look at the truck plug compared to the pics on etrailer. Wire size will be a dead giveaway for the power lead and trailer brake lead vs the signal lead and ground.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike134 I really didn't realize there were options like that. The price of that is not much less than the factory one. My original intention was to spend $20 or so to buy a pigtail and hookup my P3. Not being able to do that was not expected. My truck is a lease so I'd rather the dealership go poking around and taking things apart.
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
enblethen wrote:
Some rigs have the harness for the factory controller plugged into the receptacle. You should be able to unplug factory harness and plug in the Tekonsha one.

That's the point. Apparently the 2022 Ford does NOT have this.

Until someone comes up with a hack, your only choice is to pay for the factory controller.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Adam R wrote:
I have a Prodigy that I move between three of my vehicles as needed. No problems with it working as intended and doing its job.

Thatโ€™s niceโ€ฆ

Adam_R
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Prodigy that I move between three of my vehicles as needed. No problems with it working as intended and doing its job.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@dcb17b, have you actually looked for a brake switch yet to tap into?
I would not have even expected an aftermarket controller to integrate to the trucks system.
Short of that option, there are wireless controllers that are plug n play. Theyโ€™re $200-400 but no muss no fuss.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some rigs have the harness for the factory controller plugged into the receptacle. You should be able to unplug factory harness and plug in the Tekonsha one.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
dcb17b wrote:
Mike134 and Ivylog you are correct that the harness is there but you can't hook anything but the OEM to it. No adapter exists and the trucks computer will not recognize it,so it won't work.Everthing for the trailer brake system goes through the computer. I have installed all my other controllers in the past but this truck is a lease so I'm not going to mess with it. I guess that is the cost of driving a shiny new truck these days. And $50 bucks to install is a smoking good price. Here in upstate NY it's 3 times that.

You sure?

https://www.etrailer.com/bc-2022_Ford_F-150.htm
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobsallyh you are probably right. I am getting "subscription notices" all the time. Whatever happened to just putting gas in it,changing the oil and treating it to a good hand wax every now and then? Man this truck is needy:R
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike134 and Ivylog you are correct that the harness is there but you can't hook anything but the OEM to it. No adapter exists and the trucks computer will not recognize it,so it won't work.Everthing for the trailer brake system goes through the computer. I have installed all my other controllers in the past but this truck is a lease so I'm not going to mess with it. I guess that is the cost of driving a shiny new truck these days. And $50 bucks to install is a smoking good price. Here in upstate NY it's 3 times that.
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
This will probably be the next "subscription" service that manufactures will come up with. Pay for "towing season", then have it knocked off after trailer is parked for winter.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the same surpriseโ€ฆ21 F350 and no brake controller, but I can tow a 18,000 lb trailerโ€ฆ just canโ€™t stop it. Dealer wanted $200 for controller & $50 to install. Bought a $30 one on EBay and had dealer install for $50.
Your truck should have come with a pigtail to use your P3. Getting to the plug requires pulling the dash apart, not that hard once you watch a video.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...