cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2021 F150 trailer disconnect alarm issues

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
So, last fall I bought a 2021 F150 XLT 2.7. It comes with an amazing amount electronic "stuff", including a bunch of stuff related to towing. One weird thing is, with all the towing / trailer sensors and features, it doesn't have a built in brake controller?! That is silly, but....

It has a "trailer disconnect alarm". I am still figuring it out, but it alarms if the trailer becomes disconnected from the truck. Ford advertises it as a "security" feature, so if the truck and trailer is parked somewhere and someone tries to disconnect and steal the trailer, the truck lights and horn flash and beep. Okay, fine.

Problem is, if I park my truck and utility trailer in my driveway, leave it connected, and walk into the house... a few minutes later the truck's trailer theft alarm turns on. So I thought if I just unplugged the trailer plug it would be fine... Nope! Then the trailer disconnect alarm sounds!!

I have found that I have to unhitch the trailer and then pull the truck away from the trailer so the alarm doesn't activate.

Looking online, one guy figured out that if he locked and unlocked the truck 3 times in a row the trailer alarm shuts off, lol (?). Turns out, a LOT of people are having similar issues with the trailer alarm. I guess it is new for 2021.

I can't find anywhere in the dashboard multi function display where to just shut off the alarm entirely.

I have emailed Ford asking about this yesterday, haven't gotten a reply yet.

Has anyone else run into this, and have you figured out how to deal with it?

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like it is fixed! whooho! Whatever the reprogram is that the dealer did, seems, so far, to have fixed the issue of the random trailer alarms (and door alarm).

If anyone runs into this issue, it is fixable by reprogramming the trucks computer.

On a surprising note, it cost me nothing - yea, it is a new truck, but I was waiting for an "office copay" or something like that.

AND!! They didn't try to sell me on getting an oil change, tire rotation, or fresh blinker fluid!

Maybe the service department (which in my town has a very poor reputation for trying to "upsell" stuff) is trying to actually get better!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
lol, this has gotten just stupid. I came home, unhitched the trailer, then (as I learned) I moved the truck away from the trailer. I get out and leave the key fob in the center console as I usually do on my property (then I use the door keypad to get in). This time, though, I had some stuff in the passenger seat so I left the truck unlocked and walked around to get it. When I opened the passenger side door........ the alarm went off. I simply opened the passenger side door, when all the doors (and tailgate, that is another issue) were unlocked, and the keyfob was inside the truck.

I pushed the "panic" button on the keyfob to shut off the alarm.

I sent an email to my dealer last week, but haven't heard back. Not really surprised, they always want you to call them.

At this point, I just want ALL the "alarms" shut off on the truck!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Krusty wrote:
TSB number is 22-2122. Vehicles built before Feb 22/22. False alarm due do various software parameters in Trailer Module. Update is for Trailer Module, Driver Door Module and Passenger Door Module.

Thank you! It is dated April 4, 2022, so it is pretty recent. I will contact my dealer.

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
TSB number is 22-2122. Vehicles built before Feb 22/22. False alarm due do various software parameters in Trailer Module. Update is for Trailer Module, Driver Door Module and Passenger Door Module.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Krusty wrote:
There is a bulletin on this. There is a software update to resolve the false alarm activation

Someone earlier posted about that, but the link didn't work and I haven't heard from him.

Do you have any information about it? Links?

The only other thing I could find was that Ford knows about it, sent a bulletin to dealers about it, and are still working on the problem.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Yeah but if taking the key fob with you keeps the alarm from going off, it's not random.

That is a "work around" that I found for me, at least last week. I'll see what happens this week. I am posting what I found in other forums to try to help others having this issue.

I would prefer not to have to find work arounds on my own, I'd rather the option to simply shut it off.

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
There is a bulletin on this. There is a software update to resolve the false alarm activation
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah but if taking the key fob with you keeps the alarm from going off, it's not random.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Seems I've found at least a temporary solution.

I work outside, landscaping, so I don't carry a phone or keys with me while working - don't want to lose them.

I leave the keys in the truck, usually under the seat or in the center console, and lock the cab when working. I use the keypad on the door to unlock the truck.

Last week I tried carrying the key fob with me when I walked away from the truck... and no alarm! So, at least in the last week, the trailer alarm doesn't come on if you remove the key fob from the truck. Weird.

Now I am going to see if the dealership can just shut off all the alarms related to trailers.

Not weird. Virtually nobody leaves the keys in their vehicle anymore. That's just asking for it to be stolen, even with the doors locked. First thing car thieves look for after they break in is a set of keys in a common location like under the seat or in the center console.

Yours is an unusual, rare situation. Your work situation is presumably fairly secure and allows you to leave the keys in the truck, even locked. Ford just didn't anticipate that in their logic. They assume you left the keys in the truck by mistake and set the alarm off to let you know.

I guess me leaving my keys in the truck is rare, but this alarm system seems to be far from rare and it seems to be random how it gets set off.

What I want is a simple way to shut the trailer alarms off.

(or, they fix it so it doesn't activate randomly!)

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Seems that Ford knows about it and is trying to do something. This is part of a post on another F150 forum. There is a lot of discussing (and cussing) about this alarm issue in many forums:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/new-vehicle-delivery-hold-for-perimeter-alarm-going-off-unex...

" Anybody have any updates on this? I just took my 7/21 KC built truck on a week long trip towing a 5x8 U Haul trailer. The only way I could avoid a false trailer alarm was to disconnect the 4 wire connector each time we locked up for the night. I don't pull a trailer very often but if there's now a fix, I'll have the dealer take care of it next time it's in the shop. --

No update yet as far as i know. Dealer is supposed to let me know when the fix is finally available. Arrival keeps getting pushed back...."

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tvov wrote:

I work outside, landscaping, so I don't carry a phone or keys with me while working - don't want to lose them.

I leave the keys in the truck, usually under the seat or in the center console, and lock the cab when working. I use the keypad on the door to unlock the truck.

Last week I tried carrying the key fob with me when I walked away from the truck... and no alarm! So, at least in the last week, the trailer alarm doesn't come on if you remove the key fob from the truck. Weird.

Now I am going to see if the dealership can just shut off all the alarms related to trailers.

Not weird. Virtually nobody leaves the keys in their vehicle anymore. That's just asking for it to be stolen, even with the doors locked. First thing car thieves look for after they break in is a set of keys in a common location like under the seat or in the center console.

Yours is an unusual, rare situation. Your work situation is presumably fairly secure and allows you to leave the keys in the truck, even locked. Ford just didn't anticipate that in their logic. They assume you left the keys in the truck by mistake and set the alarm off to let you know.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2021 F150 XLT 302a with IBC and Pro Trailer Assist. I had it in neighbors car port and walked over and disconnected the trailer and got the alarm just last week. I carry my fob in a belt pouch that I made. If I stick my hand in the door and unlock it, or disconnect the trailer with the motor running(I do that a lot) no alarm. I like the future as I tow my Can Am Spyder three wheel motorcycle back and forth between Arizona and Washington spring and fall.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
The only thing I can think about on the equipment trailer is does it have a battery charge line or electric brakes? Maybe the system is monitoring for a signal on one of those lines to determine if there is a trailer there.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup