cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Ford F600

Bedlam
Ford is introducing a smaller Class 6 chassis cab truck next year called the F600. It will share many of the components of the larger F650 but be the same dimension as the F550. This 22K lb GVWR vehicle will be the king of truck camper haulers since you will still be able fit the camper cab over over the top of the cab with being overheight.

https://www.fleetowner.com/trucks/new-f-600-shines-ford-s-complete-cv-refresh

https://www.trucks.com/2019/03/05/2019-work-truck-show-f-600-missing-link-ford/

http://www.thedrive.com/news/26756/2020-ford-f-600-ultra-capable-work-truck-bridges-gap-between-big-...

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/new-ford-f-600-packs-big-truck-capability-in-a-smaller-body-making-...

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/03/05/updated-ford-commercial-vehicle-l...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD
35 REPLIES 35

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:

And that's just another reason why I'm tagged in Oregon. Tag per year in Komifornia = $380.00, in Oregon = $43.00.

It is what it is, but now you will have sleepless nights worrying about your CA neighbors turning you in.
Sometimes the saving might not be worth it.
If that makes you feel better, for new dually my CA registration was $750.
In Las Vegas it was close to 1000

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
burningman wrote:
Around here the DOT

I've never seed WSDOT go in to law enforcement mode. They maintain the highways in Washington, not police them.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Rocknxj wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
"Personal use" from what I was checking in the past was giving like 900 annual miles.
Still not a big deal on 2000 truck, where pulling plug on differential sensor freeze the odometer 😉

From what I read that mileage limit applied to what is considered stationary use, like pumps, very limited movement farm and construction equipment. But, whatever works. Such a dumb rule...only in CA.

And that's just another reason why I'm tagged in Oregon. Tag per year in Komifornia = $380.00, in Oregon = $43.00.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Rocknxj wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
"Personal use" from what I was checking in the past was giving like 900 annual miles.
Still not a big deal on 2000 truck, where pulling plug on differential sensor freeze the odometer 😉

From what I read that mileage limit applied to what is considered stationary use, like pumps, very limited movement farm and construction equipment. But, whatever works. Such a dumb rule...only in CA.

How does mileage accumulate from stationary use?

If I use a pump to pump sea water in San Diego, shut it off, put the pump in the back of my truck haul it up northern most city in California, take the pump out of my truck and start pumping sea water in Crescent City... are you suggesting that the 848 miles that the pump traveled in the back of my truck means that if I haul the pump another 52 miles, I will no longer lawfully be able to use the pump that year?

Where does everyone read this stuff?

Just applying some very simple common sense can help sort out the internet lore from the law. Or simply go to the state website and read the law. Nothing quoted above is the law.

First off, pumps, generators, air compressors, construction equipment, tractors, back hoes, graders, skip loaders, etc etc are not regulated by mileage. That much should be common sense. This type of equipment is also not regulated under the TRUCRS rules that determine whether or not they can be "registered" by the DMV, because the DMV doesn't annually register a farm tractor or a Bobcat. Ever see license plates on a bulldozer?

This type of equipment is regulated under a program called DOORS, which has its own registration system (the white letters against a red background that began appearing 10 years ago on equipment having diesel engines that is not used for on road transportation). Since the equipment is not used for transportation on the roads, it is called off road (the O and the R in DOORS). I won't get into the requirements for DOORS, as that is beyond the scope of RV'ing.

Second of all, there is no mileage limitation under the personal, non commercial, non governmental, recreational use exemption. If your rig qualifies under that exemption, you can drive it a million miles a year, in tight circles around the CARB headquarters in Sacramento if you like, and it will be legal.

Thirdly, there is no such thing as a 900 mile limitation. Where do these numbers come from? Are people just making stuff up? I would encourage anyone who thinks that they may be effected by these regulations to simply go to the website of the government entity doing the regulating, and get the word straight from the horses mouth.

The LOW USE exemption mileage restriction for non emissions compliant diesel trucks between 14K GVWR up to 26K GVWR that otherwise have a scheduled mandate to be repowered with a 2010 or newer engine, or retired, per the scheduled mandate is 1,000 miles in state, and up to 5,000 miles total, where 4,000 miles must have been out of state.

There is no law that states that these 1,000 miles must be for personal or professional use. One can drive those 1,000 miles in circles around the CARB office, for all the CARB cares, but one cannot exceed that 1,000 miles in state within the year for which the exemption was applied. The exemption must be applied for every year, by reporting the vehicle for which the exemption is claimed via the TRUCRS reporting system, where the owner must certify under penalties of perjury the actual in state mileage.

Since 2015, the state has been implementing a network whereby all databases related to vehicles are relational. An expansion of Big Brother, so to speak. So any accident, traffic citation, insurance claim, roadside inspection, scale inspection, annual PSIP inspection... all those mileage reports are compared automatically via the data sharing network that the state has constructed to enforce emissions regulations.

The Low Use exemption is designed for commercial operations that may have a specially equipped truck that may only be used a few times a year to do a specialized job, where the cost to replace the truck with a new one for such little use is unjustified. It was a compromise to keep folks in business, while cleaning up the air in California.

It was not designed as a mechanism for RV'ers to keep their old tow rigs. Old tow rigs are exempted from the regulations by virtue of their being dedicated RVs, or by virtue of falling under the statutory definition of Pick Up truck.

There are several more myths in this thread, but that's all the time I have to address.

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The 10-speed automatic will be available for the F550 and bellow, but I am uncertain if the F600 and larger are currently staying with the 6-speed. There are conflicting stories about those details.

The F-600 will get the new 10 speed.

The F-650 will retain the heavy duty 6 speed.

Rocknxj
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD
Full air bag rear suspension, Banks Brake, 74 gal fuel, PU bed conversion

'04 Lance 1161, side entry

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

Rocknxj
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
News from the real-truck world: California is going to deny registration on any pre-2011 big trucks starting next year.
That’s your government at work, helping the environment by making people scrap perfectly good trucks and manufacture new ones.

I just had to research this because I was buying a 2000 F450 a couple months ago. Found one with only 41k miles, 74 gal fuel, and full airbag rear suspension, with a 6 spd, crew cab, and 4wd. Had to buy it. Starting in 2020 CA DMV won't register any 2010 and older trucks over 14k GVWR. There are exceptions for personal use, but not sure how they'll determine that. One way for sure is that it specifically excludes trucks between 14k and 19.5k GVWR with a pickup bed used for personal use. Mine is a pickup conversion, so it's exempt, but I can't register it to my business. If it had a service body on it, no deal.
'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD
Full air bag rear suspension, Banks Brake, 74 gal fuel, PU bed conversion

'04 Lance 1161, side entry

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
One small detail - that GWVR at least in CA requires replacing engine every few years for smog reasons.
I remember that like 20 years, so not a big concern for guys who replace truck every few years, but that will kill resale value on older truck.
Apparently even diesels down to 14k . Should be some good buys on used trucks in surrounding states . I wonder how much truck manufacturers contributed to this campaign . 🙂

Yep, the ‘central planners’ in KA mandate that you must drill a hole through the block - can’t even sell good engine out of state...Makes things extra green for those ivory castle regulators seeking the next level of higher virtue - GO Gavin, you’re sure to be another HUGE Hit - lol

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Can’t hardly wait to get my commercial drivers license - lol

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
One small detail - that GWVR at least in CA requires replacing engine every few years for smog reasons.
I remember that like 20 years, so not a big concern for guys who replace truck every few years, but that will kill resale value on older truck.
Apparently even diesels down to 14k . Should be some good buys on used trucks in surrounding states . I wonder how much truck manufacturers contributed to this campaign . 🙂

I don't think truck manufacturers contributed to this law.
CA always had more smog restrictions than other states and I experienced that when entering Port of Oakland - you need additional smog certification.
Talk about country in country....
I was researching the subject few years ago when I had 15 yo F450 with 15,000 lb rating, that was subject to the law.
Even I used it in small business, I did not drive many miles and there was a loophole that you can keep the old engine for "personal use" with few hundreds miles annual limit.
Than lovely 7.3 Powerstroke was taking odometer reading from differential sensor.
20 seconds of crawling and 5 seconds of pulling the plug....

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Good for the economy though. In Japan, the reg fees go up each year, so owning a car more than a few years old becomes economically prohibitive, and the car industry gets to sell you a new one.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
News from the real-truck world: California is going to deny registration on any pre-2011 big trucks starting next year.
That’s your government at work, helping the environment by making people scrap perfectly good trucks and manufacture new ones.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
Are you thinking of going back to Ford?

I am happy with my choices but keep an eye out where things are going. I have no plans at this point to even start looking until after 2025 or later. I figure I can stretch vehicle ownership out long enough that I may only buy one other vehicle for each of us before we die.

Ha Ha, I'm going to keep my options open as to how many more vehicles I'll get. The current plan is still in 2 years, build out a Big Transit Van into a Class B suited for our needs which includes a Quigley 4x4 conversion and travel North America extensively. After that, it could be getting back into classic cars.