Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 Cummins IKE pull

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
VIDEO

What do you think? (other than graphic error at 18:35 that says GMC DENALI ๐Ÿ™‚ )

For me, the time is about what I expected as it is missing a 10 speed auto and has slightly less power than the Ford.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
131 REPLIES 131

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
The link you posted goes to the 2020 video.

Fixed. And I had the wrong time too. Fixed that too. Oops.

Slacker!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:

Fixed. And I had the wrong time too. Fixed that too. Oops.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
After thinking about the downhill test of these trucks here is what I have determined:
TFL guys said they had the Ford EB set to auto which is the best setting on the Ford for the downhill test they were doing. However there is more to it than picking a speed to hold the load at and measuring brake applications. For instance, The maximum reverse HP an engine can create occurs at maximum exhaust back pressure and engine redline. So 35 mph was an excellent speed for the Cummins to function at. It was running very close to the engine redline .... At the 4:00 and 6:00 minute marks in the video you can see the EB gauge all of a sudden display 236 reverse HP when the engine reaches redline. I believe the gauge is displaying while the computer applies the wheel brakes to prevent the engine from over revving. You can see that while the EB gauge displays the speed of the truck slows from 37 mph to 35 and then the wheel brakes are released.

If they had chosen 42 mph as the speed they wanted the truck to hold to the Ram would have had a disadvantage because the truck would have shifted to 3rd gear and the engine would have dropped to about 2400 rpm. At 2400 rpm the engine would have been producing considerably less reverse HP and as the truck accelerated Mr. Truck would have been applying the brakes prior to the engine reaching redline.

I didn't watch the Ford downhill portion again but I suspect they tried to go 35 mph with it as well. The Problem with that is 35 mph puts the Powerstroke in 3rd gear at 2800 rpm and in order to get maximum performance out of the Powerstroke EB they would have run the truck in 3rd gear at about 3400 rpm where it would have been travelling about 42 mph. Alternately they could have slowed the Ford to to get it to drop into 2nd gear and ran at 32 mph and 3500 rpm. Had the Ford been running at a higher rpm the computer would have been applying the brakes when the engine rpm reached redline.

I think the computer applies the wheel brakes at engine red line, so the Ram computer was performing multiple wheel brake applications where as the Mr Truck was applying the Ford wheel brakes prior to engine red line.

A tester really has to understand the workings of these trucks well to perform tests that demonstrate the full potential of each truck.

What does Mr Computer do if he overheats the brakes? Is he linked to an ejection function? Or does he know about all the run away ramps and is able to steer the truck to one? I wonder how the self driving semi's will handle this situation?

Mr. Computer does the same thing you do while going down the hill..... he uses the exhaust brake to its maximum potential and uses brake applications to slow the truck down periodically if the EB is not strong enough on its own. Unlike you, Mr. Computer keeps close tabs on brake pressure and time periods of brake applications so he is more aware of wheel brake temperatures than you are. If the wheel brakes are getting hot Mr. Computer will give you advanced warning so you can decide what should be done ..... apply the brakes to slow down to the next lower gear.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you're utilizing ACC, you absolutely want it to apply the service brakes whether it's towing or not. That's the whole point of the system.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"What was that 2016 engine rated at? 385hp/865tq?"

I assume so, my 15 is what you posted.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
After thinking about the downhill test of these trucks here is what I have determined:
TFL guys said they had the Ford EB set to auto which is the best setting on the Ford for the downhill test they were doing. However there is more to it than picking a speed to hold the load at and measuring brake applications. For instance, The maximum reverse HP an engine can create occurs at maximum exhaust back pressure and engine redline. So 35 mph was an excellent speed for the Cummins to function at. It was running very close to the engine redline .... At the 4:00 and 6:00 minute marks in the video you can see the EB gauge all of a sudden display 236 reverse HP when the engine reaches redline. I believe the gauge is displaying while the computer applies the wheel brakes to prevent the engine from over revving. You can see that while the EB gauge displays the speed of the truck slows from 37 mph to 35 and then the wheel brakes are released.

If they had chosen 42 mph as the speed they wanted the truck to hold to the Ram would have had a disadvantage because the truck would have shifted to 3rd gear and the engine would have dropped to about 2400 rpm. At 2400 rpm the engine would have been producing considerably less reverse HP and as the truck accelerated Mr. Truck would have been applying the brakes prior to the engine reaching redline.

I didn't watch the Ford downhill portion again but I suspect they tried to go 35 mph with it as well. The Problem with that is 35 mph puts the Powerstroke in 3rd gear at 2800 rpm and in order to get maximum performance out of the Powerstroke EB they would have run the truck in 3rd gear at about 3400 rpm where it would have been travelling about 42 mph. Alternately they could have slowed the Ford to to get it to drop into 2nd gear and ran at 32 mph and 3500 rpm. Had the Ford been running at a higher rpm the computer would have been applying the brakes when the engine rpm reached redline.

I think the computer applies the wheel brakes at engine red line, so the Ram computer was performing multiple wheel brake applications where as the Mr Truck was applying the Ford wheel brakes prior to engine red line.

A tester really has to understand the workings of these trucks well to perform tests that demonstrate the full potential of each truck.

What does Mr Computer do if he overheats the brakes? Is he linked to an ejection function? Or does he know about all the run away ramps and is able to steer the truck to one? I wonder how the self driving semi's will handle this situation?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W Companion

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw the 2016 IKE pull for the Ram/Cummins pop up on my feed on Youtube. VIDEO

It was a dfferent load, but supposedly the same 30,000lbs total weight. It went up in 12:29 at 2.4 mpg.

This 2020 truck (rated at 400hp/1000tq) was 11:32 at 2.5 mpg.

What was that 2016 engine rated at? 385hp/865tq?

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III

B&W Companion

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
^^^ I believe it is only the trucks with ACC that have the capability to apply the wheel and trailer brakes. So it is part of the ACC system but it works regardless of having the cruise set.

Additionally, on the Ford, I can go into the system settings and turn ACC off. With ACC off my cruise works like the old style cruise but the brakes are still applied during CC operation going down hill and during EB operation on steep grades.

Sounds like the engineers that redid the RAM brake controller in 2015 moved over to Ford to screw up things there.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ I believe it is only the trucks with ACC that have the capability to apply the wheel and trailer brakes. So it is part of the ACC system but it works regardless of having the cruise set.

Additionally, on the Ford, I can go into the system settings and turn ACC off. With ACC off my cruise works like the old style cruise but the brakes are still applied during CC operation going down hill and during EB operation on steep grades.
B&W Companion

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
With the Ford the brake lights only come while the wheel brakes are applied. The Ram is probably the same.

In my owners manual it states that the brake lights come on when the exhaust brake is active letting other drivers know that you are slowing down.

Rob

This must be new for 2019?

Does it say anything about actually applying the truck or trailer brakes when EB is active?

It only says that it will show the brake lights from what I read. I don't have the adaptive cruise control or the towing technology group on mine. From the brochure it does say that the adaptive cruise control will stop the truck so it will apply brakes. Makes sense to me that it would apply brakes with the towing technology groups bells and whistles but will need to look that up. Adaptive cruise control applying truck brakes and no trailer brakes would be dangerous in my estimation so the truck braking with trailer brakes makes total sense to me.

Rob

It applies trailer brakes as well.
As I previously posted I couldn't find any mention of the Auto exhaust brake applying wheel or trailer brakes in the Ford owner's manual yet it definitely does apply both but my suspicion is that it is only on the trucks with adaptive cruise.

From the Owners manual:

Towing A Trailer
ACC while towing a trailer is recommended only with an
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller. Aftermarket trailer
brake controllers will not activate the trailer brakes when
ACC is braking.

It applies the trailer brakes with the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) so it if they used the adaptive cruise control going down the IKE the truck would have applied brakes to both truck and trailer to maintain speed if the exhaust brake was not enough.

Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
With the Ford the brake lights only come while the wheel brakes are applied. The Ram is probably the same.

In my owners manual it states that the brake lights come on when the exhaust brake is active letting other drivers know that you are slowing down.

Rob

Does it say anything about actually applying the truck or trailer brakes when EB is active?

It only says that it will show the brake lights from what I read. I don't have the adaptive cruise control or the towing technology group on mine. From the brochure it does say that the adaptive cruise control will stop the truck so it will apply brakes. Makes sense to me that it would apply brakes with the towing technology groups bells and whistles but will need to look that up. Adaptive cruise control applying truck brakes and no trailer brakes would be dangerous in my estimation so the truck braking with trailer brakes makes total sense to me.

Rob

As I previously posted I couldn't find any mention of the Auto exhaust brake applying wheel or trailer brakes in the Ford owner's manual yet it definitely does apply both but my suspicion is that it is only on the trucks with adaptive cruise.
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
CaLBaR wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
CaLBaR wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

Rob

Rob

B&W Companion