cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Ram Chassis Cabs in Chicago

Bedlam
The attention has been on the pickups being released late for 2019 from Ram, but this is first I have read about the chassis cab trucks. Fancier trim levels and Class 2 version make these look closer to the pickup line rather being a commercial workhorse.

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1902-2019-chicago-auto-show-first-look-2019-ram-heavy-duty-chassis-ca...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD
6 REPLIES 6

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to think that most chassis cab trucks really are designed to be around town/utility trucks rather than over the road haulers. Think about it: most of them are built into ambulances, tow trucks, and similar for local use. That also explains why they are often geared low, sometimes very low.

I know that lower gears are better for towing on the highway (within reason), but pickups are rated to pull over 30k pounds now with 4.10s and with rear axles that are smaller than the C&C trucks (although if they keep putting bigger/stronger rear axles in the pickups, they'll catch up soon enough).

Perhaps the 6, 8, and 10 speed transmissions that are now becoming the norm will make these trucks even more versatile! I would really like to see a 7 or more gear manual in one. I'd buy one in a minute if they were available with a true medium/heavy duty manual transmission and in a high trim level. It'd give the option to choose cab length, wheelbase, and not compromise on anything. I'd have more capacity, heavier duty tires, and all of the things I love about my pickups could likely be accomplished.

For those of you who are thinking about fulltiming or have big families and big trailers, I see the C&C truck, properly equipped, to be perfect for that.

4wheelingNUT__
Explorer
Explorer
I think they will be great, and appeal to many, but I would really like to see a factory built Ram 4500, or 5500 pickup, like Ford is doing with the F-450. That's probably just wishful thinking though! Lolololololol

blt2ski
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

I like that Ram comes to the tablet with the uplift truck but the problem has always been that the Cab and chassis truck are detuned with less power. That’s the reason most RVers go with the Ford F450 with a pickup bed and then the bed is removed to be up lifted with a Hauler bed. I just went through this shopping for a RV Hauler. Everyone told me not to order Cab and chassis for that reason.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

That is not the best reason IMHO to not get a chassis cab. A chassis cab is not a complete truck. SO you can add other options etc to it, like additional springs, larger tires, change out the gvw from the manufacture etc. C&C trucks also usually have more places to add light wires etc with in the frame. Many times, depending upon the manufacture, you have multiple power choice options, more ranges of axel ratios, and transmissions too!
While the power is down per say, it in reality may not be down. As the how the power is rated and tested is different. It may seem down, but in reality may be just as strong. Or have a different HP/torque curve, that in reality, makes it a better pulling motor! Many also lower the max RPM, so that in and of itself will lower the max HP potential. Meanwhile, the torque and HP and rpms that you in reality use, may be the same as the higher rated motor. So your literal towing power is the same.
Having had numerous cab and chassis trucks, I'll take a C&C over a finished truck any day of the week if it is going to be modified in some way shape or form.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Bedlam
I went from a 2005 Powerstroke pickup to a 2015 Cummins chassis cab and didn’t lose or gain any horsepower but did gain torque. The additional transmission gear ratio and 4.44 gearing give me plenty and I have not felt lacking even though I am about 3 tons heavier than my previous combination.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I like that Ram comes to the tablet with the uplift truck but the problem has always been that the Cab and chassis truck are detuned with less power. That’s the reason most RVers go with the Ford F450 with a pickup bed and then the bed is removed to be up lifted with a Hauler bed. I just went through this shopping for a RV Hauler. Everyone told me not to order Cab and chassis for that reason.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
That will open up more full time RV owners to this market with the nicer trim levels available.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD