Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 GMC/Chevy DEF tank!

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
I mean WTH are they thinking? :E

2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
101 REPLIES 101

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't had an issue with my 2012 or the 2016 with the def tank location- I agree it's not the most aesthetically pleasing but the AMP steps and the aftermarket guard I have completely hide it.

I have 34k miles on my 10 month old 2016 and am getting at least 5k miles between def fill ups- which is what I got with the 2012. Most of those miles are towing. (I grabbed 10,000 #'s of steel pipe for the ranch this morning which was a 600 mile round trip...)

I agree it could be done better but it certainly won't hold me back from buying another GM truck... If it's a deal breaker for someone then they likely didn't want a GM truck to begin with...
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
NRALIFR wrote:
Personally, I'd rather see my truck use whatever amount of DEF is needed to keep the exhaust within spec's than EGR. Those are the only two viable options when it comes to reducing nitrogen oxide emissions in Diesel exhaust; either reduce the combustion temperature in the cylinders with EGR or use a SCR after-treatment.

:):)

The problem using too much def will cause the exhaust to clog up over time
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bedlam
Out west, many of the boon docking sites and off-road staging areas are a challenge to typical RV's which is one reason I stayed with a truck camper on a 4wd truck. I also don't plan to take my truck off the beaten path beyond a logging or fire road, but even some of those can get rough. If you ever camp in primitive sites, you will see they are not kind to low hung vehicles that cannot turn sharply. Like you, the tough terrain is explored with dedicated off-road vehicles we bring with us, but you have to get to the camp first.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
Ive been involved in rock crawling with Jeeps, gave it up, this truck is not intended for that.

BTW, if I want to off road now I have a ATV for that.

As for the 2017 GMC im sure it is a very nice truck just like the other 2 brands, they all have their down falls you just have to pick which one you want to live with.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
Off roading....I did that once in my truck, trying to turn around on a back road my front tires touched the sand. That's all the off roading this tow queen will ever see as long as I am driving her.

My concern with the gm def tank was more so if some road debris kicks up and hits it, yes I know that can happen to any vehicle.

There are many variables to off roading! I took mine into the back year (and got stuck in the clay). I have driven in farm fields, which is off road. I have driven Michigan UP fire roads, which is really more off road than road. I have been on sand dunes, which is off road. I have not driven on rocky ocean beaches (because I have seen video of what happens when the tide comes in).

So we all have our experiences, and we all pick out things that we can live with. As for the 2017 GM 3500HD, I can say that it is fantastic for me.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
patriotgrunt wrote:
Bigfoot affair wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:
patriotgrunt wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
B.O.

Honest question...Can you fill up the DEF tank at truck stops without having to move the truck after filling up with diesel? ...

... I only fill it when I get an oil change. ...

I find it interesting that the first time I had to add DEF to my truck was around 1000 miles (new). Took me by surprise and started wondering what I just got myself into purchasing something like this. Yes, we were on the road with trailer in tow.

Next fill up was about 3000 miles after that, then about 4000 after that, and now it's filled with every oil change. My truck is now 30,000 miles. But yes, I have filled mine on-the-road a few times too. When traveling, I always bring along a jug of WallMart DEF.

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
Off roading....I did that once in my truck, trying to turn around on a back road my front tires touched the sand. That's all the off roading this tow queen will ever see as long as I am driving her.

My concern with the gm def tank was more so if some road debris kicks up and hits it, yes I know that can happen to any vehicle.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Even with step bars you are not going off road in a GM/Chevy Duramax!

If I paid $65k for a truck, I wouldn't be "offroading" it. I have a Jeep for that.

B.O. Plenty wrote:
$65,000.00 one ton dually. I have no plans to take it off road. That's why they make Jeeps. Hasn't been a problem in any way in the two years I've owned the truck. I like the fact that the DEF is under the hood. When is the last time you heard of someone pouring DEF into the fuel tank on a GM product? It's not like you have to add DEF every week..

Ditto.

Also, the DEF tank has been in the same location since he 2011 model year.

It might be a different size/design on the 2017 - it's hard to tell from the angle and lighting of the photo in the first post.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot affair wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:
patriotgrunt wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
$65,000.00 one ton dually. I have no plans to take it off road. That's why they make Jeeps. Hasn't been a problem in any way in the two years I've owned the truck. I like the fact that the DEF is under the hood. When is the last time you heard of someone pouring DEF into the fuel tank on a GM product? It's not like you have to add DEF every week..

B.O.

Honest question...Can you fill up the DEF tank at truck stops without having to move the truck after filling up with diesel? I know the DEF pumps can be hard to pull out and I've never tested how long the hose is.

I've never had to fill mine up while on the road. I only fill it when I get an oil change. I agree it's not in a great place, but I like that it is hard to spill DEF on my paint.

X2, fill mine up during the oil change and have never had to add out on the road.

Yes, I do tow quite a bit all summer long.

I used to use the 2.5 gallon jugs until I tried the truck stops. To me it's easier, cheaper, and very convenient with no spills and no box to dispose of.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

Thermoguy wrote:
patriotgrunt wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:

B.O.

Honest question...Can you fill up the DEF tank at truck stops without having to move the truck after filling up with diesel? I know the DEF pumps can be hard to pull out and I've never tested how long the hose is.

I've never had to fill mine up while on the road. I only fill it when I get an oil change. I agree it's not in a great place, but I like that it is hard to spill DEF on my paint.

X2, fill mine up during the oil change and have never had to add out on the road.

Yes, I do tow quite a bit all summer long.

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
im not worried about the amount being used just assumed that since the engine is revving a little more it is consuming more def.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I remember when some website did a heavy duty pickup challenge within the last year or two the Cummins did use the most DEF. It isn't really a material cost overall, though - the stuff is pretty cheap.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I'd rather see my truck use whatever amount of DEF is needed to keep the exhaust within spec's than EGR. Those are the only two viable options when it comes to reducing nitrogen oxide emissions in Diesel exhaust; either reduce the combustion temperature in the cylinders with EGR or use a SCR after-treatment.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure what I started but I seem to be quoted a lot on this thread...

Regarding the placement of the DEF tank. Agreed, it's not the best place, there is a lot of discussion even on GM forums about the possibility of it getting damaged, but if you read these threads, only a couple of people actually have damaged the DEF tank and usually the damage to the rest of the vehicle is greater than the DEF tank. So, when you have a perceived risk or issue, then the aftermarket companies come out with a solution even if it is not needed. Therefore you have companies like the one noted that say they developed the solution due to a reason. But if you read posts from people who actually use their trucks in the oil fields in AK or Canada, they have never had an issue. I read a couple posts where something went through the tank, but that can happen on a fuel tank just as easy, so not sure if that means anything. I think it would be really hard to damage the tank, maybe the outer casing, but not the tank unless you are really hard on your truck. If you are really into off road use, then you probably put larger tires on and a lift kit and now you really would have a hard time damaging it.

Regarding DEF usage. I do haul a lot with my truck. This past summer I hauled our horse trailer over 1000 miles then a couple weeks later took the 5th wheel to Yellowstone. According to GM you should get about 5000 miles out of the 5.3 gallon tank. I have had the low DEF warring light come on during 1 trip but was planning to go in for service soon after the trip so I just drove on. No issues. So, I just bring a couple jugs of DEF with me when I do an oil change and they top it off. I usually have some left over as it doesn't take the entire 5 gallons. I guess I am lucky that way? But, since we have 3 vehicles our truck is mainly used to haul a trailer or large loads. Both of our trailers are large and somewhat heavy. It looks like the new GM has a 7.5 gallon DEF tank which is why it might be a little easier to see especially if there are no running boards on the truck.

Now for all of you that are going to say - see he gets his oil changed at the dealer... It's free. The Chev dealer in my area offers free oil changes for life. That' a great perk on a Diesel.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I would've bursted that tank if it was on my Ram. I don't off road per-say, but the wife and I will drive down a few forest service roads near a couple CG's we go to. last year we drove over a rock that I didn't think was all that tall. I ended up putting a small dent on the underside of my running boards. If I had a DEF tank hanging their then it could've been dented or punctured. Or if I had a GM with that DEF tank hanging down I wouldn't be able to go down that road.