cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 GM Duramax

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
I know somebody who picked up a 2017 GMC Denali 3500 SRW Duramax yesterday. So far it sounds like they are enjoying and like the truck (other than maybe the lenght in a parking garage!). They obviously haven't had it long enough to give me any feedback on gas mileage and towing performance with it.

Attached are a couple of pictures. It appears that GM hasn't moved or changed the DEF tank like some may have wanted.

As I get updates about their experience with the truck I will be sure to update.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910
71 REPLIES 71

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
So I got an update from the person with the 2017 Duramax.

They now have over 3300 miles on the truck. Lifetime fuel mileage is 17.6 MPG, and that includes idle time using the remote start.

This past weekend on a 400 mile road trip they averaged 18.9 MPG at or over 75MPH. The previous weekend they drove close to 600 miles and got the same average, but drove over 100 miles on two lane roads at 60MPH and averaged nearly 23 MPG for that stretch of roadway.

Overall it seems like they really like the truck so far. Unfortunately they haven't done any towing with it yet. I am on a business trip to the south next week, so I will be searching Craigslist for a rust free southern car so that we can take a road trip and do some towing with it!
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Randu wrote:
Randu wrote:
........Mine has a week of 11/7 build date ๐Ÿ™‚

GM right on schedule-- Mine was built last week and is in the Transportation lot waiting to get shipped to my dealer.

Update, Dealer got vin # Monday 11/14 but no shipping information. Dealers story is they don't know why no shipping date. I Suspect too many 2016 on lots so holding for a unknown release date. Maybe after 11/30 incentives expire?
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
ksss, you would be a smart man to hold out, at least until mid year. That way any major bugs should have showed up by then. The early 2014 Eco-Diesels had a few issues that showed up right away and had a few customers not to happy with their trucks. The engine had been on the market for some time, just not in the US market.

That was the number one reason I waited until 2015 to buy mine. If I'm going to be a beta tester they are going to pay me not the other way around! At $50,000+ for these trucks I'll let someone with deeper pockets find the flaws.

None of the manufactures do testing anywhere near what they should be anymore IMO.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Randu wrote:
........Mine has a week of 11/7 build date ๐Ÿ™‚
Randu

GM right on schedule-- Mine was built last week and is in the Transportation lot waiting to get shipped to my dealer.

Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I had read where GM patented the method they used to screen FOD from the active air intake. Obviously they felt that they spent enough time and money on the process to justify locking it down. Hopefully they got it right. Considering how long they have been working on this new Duramax, they better have gotten it right. Part of me would like to wait before ordering one, just a little concerned about issues with it. This is a significant redo of the motor, right now the 2015 version is pretty solid. The other part of me would like to wash the 31K miles I have on my 1 year old 2015, and get out of it before I put any more miles on it.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Different pump-Denso, also different injectors.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I was to take a guess, I would say that they are preparing for stepping up the power again. Lots of improvements, good power, see what happens as this new stuff proves itself. Next year, perhaps a big jump in power.

They are running 29,000psi on fuel rail, thinking perhaps the same pump that has had some problems with the fuel available... but they have B20 allowed so maybe they solved that problem..

blt2ski wrote:
demiles wrote:
The intake is one concern but there is a lot of unknowns with a completely redesigned engine. I'm surprised GM went this route when they had a pretty stable engine already.

They may have gone this route due to needing new molds, as they old one were worn out. The newest emissions requirements also meant a different bore/stroke to meet requirements. Along with the possibility they wanted to put the motor in other sizes of trucks, so they had to make it work for those too. A SWAG on my part. This would not be the first time an engine manufacture had to change sizing of a given motor to meed specs. Navistar did this with the T444E to VT365 to the 6.4 now IIRC a 7L?!?!?!?

Marty

What? You clearly don't know what you are talking about. The out going Dmax and the new L5P are the same displacement, 6.6L (403cid) with the same bore and stroke, thats about all they share.

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know? The link in this post says everything is pretty much new. Block, heads, fuel system,ect.

โ€œNearly everything about the Duramax is new, designed to produce more torque at lower rpm and more confidence when trailering or hauling,โ€ said Gary Arvan, chief engineer.

Looks to me like a complete redesign, not that it will have issues but you never know what might happen. I'm pretty much in the same boat with the Cummins 5.0L, keeping my fingers crossed.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
People; it's not a completely new engine; at least as such.

It would be like calling an LBZ a different engine than the LB7. Are they the same engine? Yep! Are there many, many, many improvements? Yes, lots. Improved block, improved pistons, improved fuel system, improved computer system. Lots of improvements but it's the same engine.

Most of those things that are on that list are not new. It's just marketing mumbo jumbo speak to make it look good. If they really wanted to lower EGT's they would have worked on the efficiency of the intercooler and not screw around with a hood scoop. I would love to see the actual difference in intake temp from the fender to the hood. Hell the last time they drew air from under the hood was the 6.2 diesel. Even my old 93 6.5 has fender cold air intake.

I personally think the hood scoop is 95% for the ooooo and awe crowd and 5% for the engine.

I also agree with Don about the snow deal.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

gattorgetter
Explorer
Explorer
Just started this afternoon about 315 for first crew cab HDs should be rolling out the door

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
The GM online order guide has been updated with the specs and trailering information!
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
demiles wrote:
The intake is one concern but there is a lot of unknowns with a completely redesigned engine. I'm surprised GM went this route when they had a pretty stable engine already.

They may have gone this route due to needing new molds, as they old one were worn out. The newest emissions requirements also meant a different bore/stroke to meet requirements. Along with the possibility they wanted to put the motor in other sizes of trucks, so they had to make it work for those too. A SWAG on my part. This would not be the first time an engine manufacture had to change sizing of a given motor to meed specs. Navistar did this with the T444E to VT365 to the 6.4 now IIRC a 7L?!?!?!?

Marty

same bore/stroke as the duramax has always had. even GM points that out in the info on the engine updates.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:

It's hardly a "completely redesigned engine". Same Bores/stroke as the duramax has always had. and they have changed some design aspects, materials, just like they have for every version of the duramax starting with the LB7, then LLY, LML, etc.

sounds like some of design changes such as oil pan and valve covers were done to decrease engine noise. And with the boost in HP, some to keep it together reliably.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!