cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a new 2017 or a new 2016. The 2017 has the 10 speed and the Ecoboost has more power and torque. However, the 2017 has the start stop standard which will likely be annoying?

Any other major differences?

The max tow versus regular tow package has effectively no material differences. Either way payload will be limited.

Anyone have a new 2017 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost?
Jeep and Explorer
30 REPLIES 30

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
What is the purpose/gain from the start/stop feature.

Guessing it is sold as less fuel consumption and less emissions, or maybe getting down to that sort of nitty gritty to met some sort of other stndard?

Every little bit helps ,they have come to an "agreement" as to what its worth (to the EPA) and thus raise the mpg on the window sticker that much.
It might be only noticeable to a mileage nut ,but for the fleet mpg its important.

Yep, when you have a rolling group of 100 cars that approach and stop at a red light, having all of them turn the engine off for the red light duration collectively will save a lot of fuel/emissions. Now do this across 250 million vehicles on USA roads, and you can see how this will make a noticeable reduction in fuel usage.

My question: how does the A/C compressor run with the engine off? In August, in Texas, you don't want your engine turning off at all.

In the stop/starts I have driven if the hvac items are called on the engine will start up or just not turn off.

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
Plug in a trailer plug tester. The auto off function is disabled when it senses a trailer connected.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand there is a time limit it will remain off algorithms or some such .Right now a lot can be turned off using tow/haul but it resets with each key on/off ,going forward I bet it will not be turnoff able ?
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
Dave H M wrote:

Guessing it is sold as less fuel consumption and less emissions, or maybe getting down to that sort of nitty gritty to met some sort of other stndard?

Every little bit helps ,they have come to an "agreement" as to what its worth (to the EPA) and thus raise the mpg on the window sticker that much.
It might be only noticeable to a mileage nut ,but for the fleet mpg its important.

Yep, when you have a rolling group of 100 cars that approach and stop at a red light, having all of them turn the engine off for the red light duration collectively will save a lot of fuel/emissions. Now do this across 250 million vehicles on USA roads, and you can see how this will make a noticeable reduction in fuel usage.

My question: how does the A/C compressor run with the engine off? In August, in Texas, you don't want your engine turning off at all.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
So as not to Hijack this thread any more.

Smart cars too smart?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Its kinda like the "Runaway Toyota's" from a couple years back. Turns out that it was DRIVER ERROR. Drivers weren't properly securing floormats, which got underneath the accelerator and caused the accelerator to get stuck. Rather than put cars in neutral, they continued trying (unsuccessfully) to mash on the brakes. Didn't work.

Exactly. Clear case of operator error and maybe lack of awareness of how things work (ie. neutral position of the transmission). Even so, some of those people still found time to call 911 and ask for help.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

Yes, I do understand the concept and reason, I see a wrongful lawsuit in some car makers future because of this feature.
We have already seen deaths due to people not turning off their engines when parking in the garage!

Death from stop/start. Are you sure you are not confusing push button start. I have not heard of one death blamed on the stop/start function.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
We have already seen deaths due to people not turning off their engines when parking in the garage!

I think that has more to due with driver error/stupidity than an auto feature.

Its kinda like the "Runaway Toyota's" from a couple years back. Turns out that it was DRIVER ERROR. Drivers weren't properly securing floormats, which got underneath the accelerator and caused the accelerator to get stuck. Rather than put cars in neutral, they continued trying (unsuccessfully) to mash on the brakes. Didn't work.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
austingta wrote:
RPreeb wrote:
Is this an option or only on the higher trim levels, or what? I have a 2016 F-150 XLT 3.5 4x4 and the engine doesn't shut off at stoplights.

It was never an option on the 3.5 until 2017.

That issue has been addressed along with beefing up all of the components associated with starting the engine. Also, the engines have been built to run with much less lubrication. Ford doesn't want anyone testing it but has hinted that the engines will run quite a while with no lubrication. Ford sees this technology as important to meeting CAFE requirements and certainly does not want it to blow up in their faces. I would like to have one just because I believe that it is going to be a more durable engine. Keep in mind that about the only thing this engine has in common with the old one is the displacement. So far I have not heard of any reliability issues with the 2.7 equipped with this feature.

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I would prefer the newer 3.5L which has seen a few improvements. Among other things it includes port fuel injection in addition to the direct injection. One benefit of that will be keeping the intake valves clean. With that said I am not familiar with anyone on this forum who have had an issue with dirty intake valves, but that is an issue common to gas DI engines.

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
RPreeb wrote:
Is this an option or only on the higher trim levels, or what? I have a 2016 F-150 XLT 3.5 4x4 and the engine doesn't shut off at stoplights.

It was never an option on the 3.5 until 2017.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know anything about the auto stop/start engine feature accept what I read.

But I would be curious as to the life expectancy of the starter and if that feature has any adverse affect on the battery life. I don't trade vehicles very often. Just wondering. :@