Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Forest River or 2012 Jayco

littlemisspopup
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Iโ€™m torn between a few trailer options and would love some advice.

Iโ€™ve been searching for something 33-36ft with bunks and 3 slides and found a few options.

Is 2012 vs. 2016 a huge deal? Is a 2012 trailer too long in the tooth. Will be used on a seasonal site.
5 REPLIES 5

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
somthing that old, it might be worth paying a mobil rv guy for a couple hours to do an inspection on it. they know what to look for and I know I have to catch myself when I look at rv's as Im to excited to look for the thins I should be half the time. age doesnt matter much except that it means that if the previous owner doesnt do maintenance it has been going on longer and could be more dammage. water leaks would be my main concern.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with all the others who say condition is all important. My trailer is a 2004 model but it puts the new trailers to shame when you look at the construction and condition it is in.

I would look very closely at that 2002 model and, if it appears to be in good condition, get a mobile tech or a normal RV inspector to take a look at it and see what it really is. If it passes then I would take that unit over any newer unit. They are just not made now like they used to do.
Barney

Picture taken this past summer. 2022
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A 2019 trailer could be trashed or a 2002 trailer could be in great condition.
Model year matters about 0.005%. The overall condition of the trailer matters 99.995%.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know anything about a "JAYCO" but I do know that I brought a "New" Sierra Travel Trailer in 2010 or 2012 (which is made by Forest River) I could never get the front level & the back level at the same time, which tells me the frame was bent, also this was tandem axle trailer that has brakes on all 4 wheels, BUT only the rear axle had wires going to them, so the front axle brakes were just there, but not working, I also had many problems with the interior of the trailer, like the slide tearing up the carpet when it was coming in, I had so many problems with this trailer that the dealer told me the factory refused to repair any problems & I had only been the owner for 9 months.

Good luck with what ever you buy...
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
No way for anyone on here to know. The 2012 could be in pristine condition while the 2016 is beaten to a pulp. Only you, having seen both, would be able to determine what condition each is in. With proper care and maintenance, any travel trailer should be able to last 20 or more years. Best to look at many used units, even if you are not really interested in that particular unit, to determine the range of conditions (or destruction) a TT can come in. I had a 35 year old popup that was in excellent condition when I sold it.