Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013+ Ram Highway Vibration?

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

First up, I'm a Cummins guy. It's my favorite of the big three diesels but I also really resect the Dmax/Ally and the new Super Dutys. Since pairing it w/ the Aisin, I'm only really looking at Rams. My 2016 was practically factory fresh when it was wrecked by a truck that forgot to use its parking brake. Had only towed city with it and it did great.

I was all set on ordering a new 2018 3500 Cummins/Aisin but it seems a lot of owners on other sites are reporting severe vibrations when the truck goes 65-75mph on concrete freeways.

There's no point test driving as apparently it varies truck to truck. so I'd need to order, wait three months and then test drive that one which I'm sure would get ugly with the dealer if I refuse delivery.

Basically, do any of you with 2013+ 3500s or even 2014+ 2500s have vibration issues on your Ram? Trying to see how common this purported issue is.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV
24 REPLIES 24

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
20k miles on my 16 2500. Smooth as can be. About 10k miles towing, including the rattletrap known as Birmingham. So much smoother than my Tundra while towing I can't even explain it.

Rides great for a HD truck. Still factory tires.

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Lariame with the rear air sup. 2,000 miles with a trip thru Birmingham, Al. on I65 where the concrete roadway is like a new washboard. happy with the way it handled the 16,000# RV. 11.5mpg over the 1400 mile trip about 900 towing.

Opinion can change over the next few years.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
racer4 wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
racer4 wrote:
I ordered with a written condition on the sales order that allowed me to decline buying if I determined it had excessive vibration on a test drive when it arrived.

I talked with the dealer owner about this and he was OK with that provision. I test drove an in stock truck for a base line comparison.

Mine is fine. It does have Nexen tires.

I suspect the number of Ram 3500s with excessive vibration is a very small percentage.

I see you have the auto flex trailing arm air suspension. How long did you drive that truck before that went on?

About 4000 miles.

Vibration free before and after. It did make the ride much more comfortable on the road bumps.

Curious, what did that system cost? Is it front and rear or rear only?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
racer4 wrote:
I ordered with a written condition on the sales order that allowed me to decline buying if I determined it had excessive vibration on a test drive when it arrived.

I talked with the dealer owner about this and he was OK with that provision. I test drove an in stock truck for a base line comparison.

I suspect the number of Ram 3500s with excessive vibration is a very small percentage.

I see you have the auto flex trailing arm air suspension. How long did you drive that truck before that went on?

About 4000 miles.

Vibration free before and after. It did make the ride much more comfortable on the road bumps.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 Ram 2500 CTD with stock Firestones is smooth at 80 mph.
toolmaker

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
Some great insight and replies here. Appreciated, please keep it coming. It sounds like the % is very low of trucks with this malady. I'll be sure to arrange a thorough test drive on the freeway if I go through with this order. It's fro out of state though so will get checking if they use concrete joints there.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
racer4 wrote:

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

racer4
Explorer
Explorer

Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 3500 SRW is downright dangerous at highway speeds. It rides and drives so smoothly that you will be running 80-85 mph and never know what happened! And the Cummins will just be purring at 1750-1800 rpm's. Gotta watch the speed and for troopers! Lol.

Seriously, mine is ridiculously smooth!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine vibrated with the stock Firestone ht tires. Now I have some Yokohama all terrain tires. Stable to 90mph.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be afraid of ordering one. Just tell the dealer that you need a provision written on the sales order sheet that you reserve the right to refuse to accept delivery after test drive and inspection. From what I read, the issue is predominantly on dual rear wheel trucks. Hard to say how widespread the issue is.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had any vibrations, with the stock junk Firestones on stock wheels or now with BFG AT KO2s on aftermarket alloys. Very smooth cruiser from highway speeds up to a sustained 83-85.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
I am familiar with the problem, and the other site with 100pages. At 1st mine was bad...cheap tires, Toyos now and its ok. Slight vibe in the 65mph range. Need to get tires re balanced.

These are heavy duty frames.

Ford and Chevy are not immune to this either. Ford came out with a big rubber isolator to take out the suspension reverberations.

I also have never owned a vehicle without some sort of un smoothness.

Take that thread on Cummins forum with a grain of salt.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
I am familiar with the problem, and the other site with 100pages. At 1st mine was bad...cheap tires, Toyos now and its ok. Slight vibe in the 65mph range. Need to get tires re balanced.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually