cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2005 Arctic fox 1150 boat loader

brutherb
Explorer
Explorer
I am just purchasing a 05 arctic fix 1150, I want to install an auto boat loader to the top. The ones that hinge so the rear back lower diwn yiu secure the boat, in my case kayaks and it goes up and puts them on the roof. Anybody do this or have any ideas around this
1987 Triple E regency A832 diesel
1996 F350 7.3 Powerstroke CCLB
2005 Ram 3500 CCSB 5.9 cummins
1989 Searay Amberjack 270
19 REPLIES 19

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Back to the main question about attaching some mechanical mechanism to the camper for lifting canoes, kayaks, etc on the roof.
There isn't enough structure in the walls to bolt stuff to that would support that kind of weight.

I haul my junk in a trailer.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
brutherb wrote:
Thanks guys Iโ€™m up in Canada but I am guessing the point is valid up here as well and my truck is lifted as well so I will have to consider all this thank you again

if you over 13.6 you will have problems driving from vancouver into the interior on the hiway and you will have to take oversized truck routes, so being in canada is an advantage, but the worse sevtion for low overpasses is BC spicificly lower mainland.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

brutherb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys Iโ€™m up in Canada but I am guessing the point is valid up here as well and my truck is lifted as well so I will have to consider all this thank you again
1987 Triple E regency A832 diesel
1996 F350 7.3 Powerstroke CCLB
2005 Ram 3500 CCSB 5.9 cummins
1989 Searay Amberjack 270

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
While it is much more likely for driver of commercial vehicle of the same height to get the ticket, that does not mean the size limits do not apply to RVs. After all, the driver of CMV is required to pass test "proving" he knows the laws. I just looked at 2 states. Both stated their limits apply to "ALL VEHICLES", then list the exceptions that do not require a single trip permit. I did not see RV listed as exception

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
BTW, 13ft 6in is a commercial restriction, but you have to understand that the infrastructure was built around that restriction.

Not being commercial means you won't get ticketed for being over height, but it does not exempt you from the laws of physics. "I'm not commercial so I figured I'd fit." Yeah, good luck with that one, LOL.

13'6" has nothing to do with being commercial.

While you are unlikely to get ticketed, you certainly can be ticketed for it. Most likely this would happen if you hit a bridge and your boat winds up in the windshield of the car behind you. But it depends on how obviously over height you are.

Ask the guy that loaded a tree on a trailer to haul home from his lake lot, to plant in his suburban yard. HP stopped him for the dragging wires, made him secure wires to trailer, and tie branches down to get below legal max. Days later, LEOs showed up at his house, arrested him for leaving the accident. Insurance covered cost of damage, but he was bumming rides for a year.

Being held responsible for the damage and mayhem that results from being over height is not the same as being ticketed for simply being over height.

Simply being over height is a commercial regulation. Damaging property, leaving the scene of an accident, are criminal offenses.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
BTW, 13ft 6in is a commercial restriction, but you have to understand that the infrastructure was built around that restriction.

Not being commercial means you won't get ticketed for being over height, but it does not exempt you from the laws of physics. "I'm not commercial so I figured I'd fit." Yeah, good luck with that one, LOL.

While you are unlikely to get ticketed, you certainly can be ticketed for it. Most likely this would happen if you hit a bridge and your boat winds up in the windshield of the car behind you. But it depends on how obviously over height you are.

Ask the guy that loaded a tree on a trailer to haul home from his lake lot, to plant in his suburban yard. HP stopped him for the dragging wires, made him secure wires to trailer, and tie branches down to get below legal max. Days later, LEOs showed up at his house, arrested him for leaving the accident. Insurance covered cost of damage, but he was bumming rides for a year.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
mkirsch wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
brutherb wrote:
Is there height restriction on chicles I have never heard of that I guess I could strap them to the back of it

Well you go ahead and throw them kayaks up there and then wonder why you're dragging someone's fibre/phone/electric wire, OR wonder where your kayaks went, when you get to the campground.

And if you are over 13 6 you (or insurance. And insurance will not defend you for hit and run) can be held liable for the wires and damage done when they pull loose from house.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
11 foot 8
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
brutherb wrote:
Is there height restriction on chicles I have never heard of that I guess I could strap them to the back of it

Well you go ahead and throw them kayaks up there and then wonder why you're dragging someone's fibre/phone/electric wire, OR wonder where your kayaks went, when you get to the campground.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not a water sport trailer for your canoe/kayak?

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen people tow a box trailer behind the truck camper with boat on top of box trailer.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
brutherb wrote:

I ran into this when I got my 5th wheel, had to sell my canoe, and on my camper any roof mounted stuff would make it to high. 13'4" is usaly the max hight you want to be as thats what most overpasses and tunnels and such will have as a minimum but your going to encounter some places that don't meet that code.

what I ended up doing is buying a good inflatable kyack a 2000 buck one not a 300 buck cheep jobby that is just as good as a ridgid touring/fishing one and it packs away into a large backpack.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100