cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

19.5 Hankook DH35 vs XDS2

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
My eyes have glazed over reading tire reviews. I currently have 225/70/19.5 XDS2's on my '05 Dodge 3500 SRW. Most of the driving I do is without the Lance on it, but since retiring, I have it on a lot more. It is time for new tires. I was happy with the Michelins, and am not too sure on the mileage I got out of them. But they are indeed expensive. If they turn out to be the best tire, especially for winter driving, they are what I will get. The tire shop up the road also gave me a quote on the DH35's. They are considerably less money. From what I have read on them, they seem to be pretty good for winter conditions. At least from their own advertisement. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or, hopefully, with both. Thank you.
19 REPLIES 19

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
My 19.5's do well on Stevens Pass and wear better than any LT tire I owned.

I had the same experience with the Toyo M608, they were the best winter tire I have used.

Bedlam
My 19.5's do well on Stevens Pass and wear better than any LT tire I owned.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Unless you winter camp, which you don't indicate, i can't see why you would run your 19.5s in the winter anyway. Expensive to wear out, rough riding and even the best 19.5 for snow isn't as good as a mediocre LT tire.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
This past Winter was not really trying. We missed most of the inland snow when we stayed on the coast during last year's dump. Wear is good even though they are more aggressive than the Continentals. They go well on unpaved roads even when wet with less slippage and tread packing. I bought mine online and had the local Schwab mount and balance them. I have been going to same store since the early 90's and know most of the staff. There is one store closer to me, but they don't have the knowledge or skills of this established store.

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Last Fall, my Toyo M655's were about $425/ea shipped to my door. I could find a matched manufacter date set when I looked locally.

How you liking those? I had the same issue 4 months back and the guy at Les Schwab had so many hours of back and forth emails with me that I decided to pay more for my 2nd choice tires to compensate him for his efforts (I'm dumb like that).

Hopefully you've had a chance to do some snow/ice driving on them?
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
2018 Northern Lite 9-6 SE
Upper StableLoads (for now)
Nokian LT2 Studs

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
S, I got three estimates, and the highest one was $565 tire. Don't have the other two at hand, but they were less than that. I believe the lowest was around $535.

Bedlam
Last Fall, my Toyo M655's were about $425/ea shipped to my door. I could find a matched manufacter date set when I looked locally.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks, I will probably check with a few more places.

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t have the estimate sheet handy, but it was well below that. It was roughly what they are going for on Amazon. Apx $525. I will check and re-reply if it is much different than that.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
CYCLEPATH wrote:
I pulled the trigger on another set of the XDS’s. Couldn’t find any first hand info on the DH35’s, so went with what I know. I appreciate the responses.

What was the cost? I just got a quote for XDS2 for $677.00 per tire. I was thinking about going with the Toyo M608z again but they had over 1000 back ordered.

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled the trigger on another set of the XDS’s. Couldn’t find any first hand info on the DH35’s, so went with what I know. I appreciate the responses.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,

when I was first shopping for 19.5's I considered the XDS2's however could not swallow the cost and instead went with Toyo 265/70R19.5 M608z's.

These have worn well but are a bit noisy on the highway so when I end up doing a age related replacement in a few years I'm going with 245/70R19.5 M920a's:

https://www.toyotires.com/commercial-truck/tire/pattern/m920a/

Higher speed, less road noise, mtn/snowflake and 4540lbs load rating.

Just an idea,

- Mark0.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I aged both sets of mine out at 5-6 years, but I do that for regular tires as well. It depends on how they are looking, and how close Winter is.

I used to run Hankook DH01s. I now run Toyo M655s. I feel they are a much better riding tire than the Hankooks. It was noticeable on the first drive which was empty. Also, the fronts wear better compared to Hankooks. However, I did like the Hankooks enough to put them on my F450 after running them on a F350 SRW for several years.

Obviously, the Toyo tires cost a lot more, so maybe they should be better. 😉

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

CYCLEPATH
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t know. Mine are about at the tread limit.