cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

16 Navigator L towing Jayco 24BH

itterref
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I have been lurking for a while but posting for the first time. I need some opinions on my set up.

2016 Navigator L
GVWR 7,900 lbs
GCWR 15,000 lbs
Towing capacity 8,700 lbs
Payload capacity 1,500 lbs
Front Axle rating 3,700 lbs
Rear Axle rating 4,330 lbs
Tires rating 5,202lbs per Axle
Tongue rating 900lbs
Hensley Hitch 200 lbs

Jayco 24BH
30' 6,300 lbs loaded.

Here are my numbers at the scale with the full family (6) and a half tank of gas. Trailer had an undisclosed amount of water in the fresh tank that I forgot to empty.

GVWR 8,160 lbs - 260 lbs over
GCWR 14,480 lbs - 520 lbs under
Front Axle 3,560 lbs - 140 lbs under
Rear Axle 4,600 lbs - 270 lbs over

However, we seldom travel like this. 90% of the time we have a 260 lb person who stays home. In that scenario we look like this.

GVWR 7,900 lbs - flat
GCWR 14,200 lbs - 800 lbs under
Front Axle 3,480 lbs - 220 lbs under
Rear Axle 4,420 lbs - 90 lbs over

I will remove all the water and weigh in again, I am assuming 200-300 lbs will come off.

I am asking if this would alarm anyone. I am sure there is a buffer in there and I am fine. I can't justify a 3/4 truck because I really need the 3rd row seat and all the features and benefits the Navigator provides as a daily vehicle.

Thoughts?
34 REPLIES 34

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iterreff will fit right in here! I mean who comes flyin in with a juicy question straight outta left field thatโ€™s a guarnAteed grand slam for the geezernet weight cops? All serious like as if heโ€™s really concerned aboot it and then basically says โ€œnaw, just funninโ€ I tow this sht all over the country, we good.โ€
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

johned
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that was exhausting.

itterref
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
itterref wrote:

I towed all last season from Michigan to Yellowstone, Mt Glacier, Moab and back without an issue. Handled great, even in really bad winds in Nebraska and South Dakota...The Ecoboost pulled up the mountains of Colorado without working hard...I have since upgraded it to a Hensley and while I haven't gone on a long run, I can say that it is night and day as far as sway on my test run.

Awesome!

Pro 3/4:
1. If you get a 3/4 ton truck you will never have to worry about going to the scales and weighing in every trip.

Don't bother. Same with taking 2 vehicles.

2. If you get a 3/4 ton truck you can always get a bigger trailer if you want.

3. If you get a 3/4 ton truck I will never drive it. You don't have to worry about me taking your vehicle. ๐Ÿ™‚

Those are good "justifications" if you really want "more". More trailer, more time with your daily driver vehicle ๐Ÿ˜„ But If you have other life goals, I'd spend/save that $100k for something else. You will get marginal extra satisfaction from what you have today.

Now get off the internet and enjoy Michigan weather with your family!

Aye aye captain! We are off to Comerica to watch the Tigers and camp out in Ann Arbor this weekend.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Seems I struck a nerve wif someone wif sensitive feelersโ€ฆ.
Iโ€™s sorryโ€ฆ:R
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

APT
Explorer
Explorer
itterref wrote:

I towed all last season from Michigan to Yellowstone, Mt Glacier, Moab and back without an issue. Handled great, even in really bad winds in Nebraska and South Dakota...The Ecoboost pulled up the mountains of Colorado without working hard...I have since upgraded it to a Hensley and while I haven't gone on a long run, I can say that it is night and day as far as sway on my test run.

Awesome!

Pro 3/4:
1. If you get a 3/4 ton truck you will never have to worry about going to the scales and weighing in every trip.

Don't bother. Same with taking 2 vehicles.

3. If you get a 3/4 ton truck I will never drive it. You don't have to worry about me taking your vehicle. ๐Ÿ™‚

Those are good "justifications" if you really want "more". More trailer, more time with your daily driver vehicle ๐Ÿ˜„ But If you have other life goals, I'd spend/save that $100k for something else. You will get marginal extra satisfaction from what you have today.

Now get off the internet and enjoy Michigan weather with your family!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

itterref
Explorer
Explorer
tommyznr wrote:
That was some serious skill or luck to miss the basketball hoop. Oh, and the grass is nice and green.

Is not our first rodeo, LOL.

Moderator edit to resize pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
That was some serious skill or luck to miss the basketball hoop. Oh, and the grass is nice and green.
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
OMG...looks like a suicide rig!!

I always went by "if it'll pull it, maintain a reasonable speed, gotta be OK". ๐Ÿ™‚

On a more serious note, I have that same exact mailbox.

itterref
Explorer
Explorer
CWilson wrote:
ryhed wrote:
I can guarantee you one stop from the DOT on a set of scales and they'll tow your tt to the holding yard until you get a vehicle big enough to tow it if you are over.

ROFLMAO...........

ryhed wrote:
Your putting your famyily, camper and truck at high risk, your gonna burn out your daily driver in my opinion.

Not to mention also putting at risk the driving public in general, contributing to reducing the living conditions of society in general. Oh the humanity.

Do some of you folks truly believe this drivel you come up with?

I wonder what the cops here think of this? :E ๐Ÿ˜‰

Moderator edit to resize picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
ryhed wrote:
I can guarantee you one stop from the DOT on a set of scales and they'll tow your tt to the holding yard until you get a vehicle big enough to tow it if you are over.

ROFLMAO...........

ryhed wrote:
Your putting your famyily, camper and truck at high risk, your gonna burn out your daily driver in my opinion.

Not to mention also putting at risk the driving public in general, contributing to reducing the living conditions of society in general. Oh the humanity.

Do some of you folks truly believe this drivel you come up with?

itterref
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^Nice setup!
And apparently itโ€™s been to Wyoming and presumably back to Mitch e gun, so you donโ€™t need much advice from the armchair QBs here!
Rock on!

Thanks! We have gone on 3K mile trips from Michigan with this set up a few times.

First run was South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, back home to Michigan. Next was Nebraska, Colorado, Utah and back to MI. Third was South Dakota, Wyoming, back to Michigan.

Moderator edit to resize pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

itterref
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
One point to make with IRS is the axle isnโ€™t weight bearing per se like a conventional solid axle. So that eliminates a couple potential failure points and shuffles the most likely failure to the springs (in my opinion, since Iโ€™ve never broken an irs axle or even 1/2 ton air shocks/springs).
Or far more anecdotally, how many newer Expe/Navi, Tahoe/Burb/Yukon, Armadas or sequoias are out there towing 3 ton trailers of any flavor?
Answer: ALOT of them.
Pack your stuff and go camping! Worry about other things.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. The Navigator has an Adaptive Suspension with 3 settings. Itโ€™s possible to play with the damperโ€™s firmness on the fly.

I run LT Michelin Defender LTX tires. I think I am good there.

itterref
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
How does it feel @highway speeds? 2-lane roads, and multi-lane interstates when passing or being passed?

While I an a card-carrying member of the weight police, I have also personally towed above vehicle ratings for thousands of miles. My comfort level was mostly based on how I adjusted my Reese Strait Line WDH, not any specific rating.

The only recommendation I have is to increase the WD more to the front than you have now. That may mean more hitch head angle, fewer links under tension, etc.

I towed all last season from Michigan to Yellowstone, Mt Glacier, Moab and back without an issue. Handled great, even in really bad winds in Nebraska and South Dakota. You read about people that fought the trailer and had terrible experiences white knuckling all the way. That has never been my experience. The truck is stable and I don't feel buffeting while passing or being passed.

The Ecoboost pulled up the mountains of Colorado without working hard. The Navigator has a tow haul mode that holds the low gear and provides engine break. Works nicely going down hill. I did all this towing with a Husky Centerline WDH. I have since upgraded it to a Hensley and while I haven't gone on a long run, I can say that it is night and day as far as sway on my test run.

My wife made a few good points last night.

Pro Navi:
1. 90% of the time we go out with only 4 of us. The 2 older kids are at an age where they are not participating as much. That puts us well within the limits.

2. If the situation arises and all 6 of us are traveling, we take a 2nd vehicle with us.

3. You tow 3 months out of the year. Are you going to hate having a 3/4 ton truck as a DD?

4. If you get a 3/4 ton truck, how far will we go with 5 people in it before the rear passengers turn on each other? Can you do 10 hour drives like we like to do?

Pro 3/4:

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
APT wrote:
How does it feel @highway speeds? 2-lane roads, and multi-lane interstates when passing or being passed?

While I an a card-carrying member of the weight police, I have also personally towed above vehicle ratings for thousands of miles. My comfort level was mostly based on how I adjusted my Reese Strait Line WDH, not any specific rating.

The only recommendation I have is to increase the WD more to the front than you have now. That may mean more hitch head angle, fewer links under tension, etc.

^A good post from an actual rv.net weight cop (and a knowledgeable member)!!:C

While many of us have towed safely/comfortably well past listed ratings, it may lead to driveline malfunctions sooner. I've personally experienced this on several vehicles, at around 50K on the clock. In both cases, easily fixed, by just purchasing another new truck.

A new TV, or low mileage one will handle loads to max rating and beyond, most times.

Jerry