Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

06 Ford brake backer plates

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
This happened on BIL's F350 dually.

The backer plates rusted so bad that the drivers side came apart and wedged into the Emergency Brake causing a sever overheating. He showed me the good one and it looked like swiss cheese, it wasn't far from coming apart. The normally solid plate flexed a inch each direction by just flipping it over to look at the other side. The pin for the E-brake just fell out of the hole.

If you have a F350 in this year range it might be worth looking underneath at the back side to see if you can spot any trouble in the making. Parts guy told him it wasn't the first one he's seen it happen too.

Good luck and be safe.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman
4 REPLIES 4

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
My '03 f150 was a complete rust bucket underneath when I traded it in, I had the brakes replaced about 6 months ago and the tech said he'd never seen so much rust. The E-brake connection was nearly ready to falloff etc. I was the original owner, and they don't salt the roads here. Must have been a bad era for it.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Same exact thing happened to my dads 05.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9, Thanks for that tid bit. I'll give the BIL a heads up.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Peg Leg wrote:
This happened on BIL's F350 dually.

The backer plates rusted so bad that the drivers side came apart and wedged into the Emergency Brake causing a sever overheating. He showed me the good one and it looked like swiss cheese, it wasn't far from coming apart. The normally solid plate flexed a inch each direction by just flipping it over to look at the other side. The pin for the E-brake just fell out of the hole.

If you have a F350 in this year range it might be worth looking underneath at the back side to see if you can spot any trouble in the making. Parts guy told him it wasn't the first one he's seen it happen too.

Good luck and be safe.
Just one more easy thing to check if you have a 6.0. There is one 12 millimeter bolt in the bottom of the starter that like to come loose. 3 out of 5 that I take care of has lost it. The way I found it was I went out to start mine and the starter made a loud pop and then just spun. When I looked under the truck the stater was hanging. The 12 mm bolt had worked it's self out and the two smaller bolts that are remaining broke off completely. The starter had never been off the truck. Again, 3 out of five of our trucks have lost the 12mm bolt.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.