cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toy hauler basic questions

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey all, thanks for any suggestions. Just bought a 2414 genesis vortex. Been an rv 'er 25+ years, had a toy hauler 5'er 20 yrs ago, most recent rv is a class c thor 23u. Hung a dual sport off the back..so some things I forgot. Questions:

1. What do you use under bikes for gas drips from carb bikes? I don't want it getting on the linoleum and smell sticking around. Bikes don't usually leak, but may. Fuel injected bikes I don't have issues.
2. What do you suggest for mats on floor? Ideally I'd like a welcome mat type thing, something easy to roll out, roll up
3. Toyhauler has d rings in floor. Looking to get a boltiton.com or niceracks.com solution to carry 3 bikes, 2 between the kitchen and passenger wall. Any thoughts on how well these work, how to hold back end down of bikes?
4. Storage- to store clothes in the bed area there's a shelf at the front, curved from ceiling. I'm thinking a cargo net type deal could hold some stuff, anyone have a neat solution for this? Not sharp hooks for example?
5. On occasion we will likely sleep with bikes in back while in transit. Have experience with this? Gas fume danger?

Thanks

Cb
6 REPLIES 6

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had a 450X, I would shut off the fuel petcock and ride the bike a half mile or so to get the fuel level in the carb lower. Never had any gas smell. Tire rubber smell is much more of an issue. We do have a separate garage.

dedmiston
cbigham wrote:
Thanks,
Wife real sensitive to gas.

Same here. It's an important topic here too, but my wife has never complained in 20 years and two toy haulers.

To be clear: She's never complained about the GASOLINE smell, but there have been plenty of complains about gas, the organic kind.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks,
Wife real sensitive to gas.

dedmiston
We rarely take our bikes out anymore since we got the SxS, but ours are all old-school carb bikes and the gas smell has never been an issue for us. Even when a bike has tipped over and leaked, the smell is always gone by the time we finish unloading. Dropping that ramp lets a TON of air circulate and refreshes the room pronto.

Of all the countless things to worry about in the TH world, the gas smell is towards the bottom of the list.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks,
Bikes don't leak normally but still have vent smells if hot. Not a problem outside.

The bunk above bike storage may be used tike to time while in transit. I suppose if it smells , the old skool bike could be transported in the bed of the truck..

Y-Guy
CB we never had any issues with gas fumes or leaks, if you have leaks I'd suggest getting them repaired. But for a mat, get something with a rubber base so it doesn't slide around, then just wipe up the few drips. If its more then that, get it fixed. The issue with fumes comes up a lot, again well maintained bikes shouldn't be an issue. Turn the fuel source off, and run the carb empty. If you're concerned leave a vent fan running. We junked our 5" rattle fans and put in a MaxAir or Fantastic Fan - amp draw is very low.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon