cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spare tire

pappi49
Explorer
Explorer

Just came across a video showing a guy mounting a spare tire carrier to the ramp door of his toy hauler. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if so how is it holding up.

I have seen a mount that was placed just below the ramp door and ita seemed to have enough support so as not to destroy the door but this one is different. If anyone has tried this way let me know how it has worked out for you. Here is a linc to the video I just watched;  Spare tire mount for trailer , toyhauler , DIY - YouTube

5 REPLIES 5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

If you mount it to the framing in the door and carriage bolt it all the way through, I’ll be fine. Can get a cheapo wall mount spare carrier with the mounting holes in line vertically which is what you probably want for bolt up thru a framing member. 
nothing that is tek screwed into the door, even the framing, will hold up at all imo. Even with the 3m tape, lol. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston

That's an interesting mount. We have a triple axle hauler (six wheels) and I'm nervous anytime I get a flat and have to use the spare and still have miles to go without anymore backup. I don't think I'm paranoid enough for two spares though.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy

For a Utility trailer (which that video appears to be) maybe, I'd be very cautious about installing a setup like that on a RV door though, not without knowing how it's made  That much weight at the rear of the trailer, bouncing around on the highway makes me nervous.  Our Raptor had the tire installed under it and attached to the frame.   Which Toy Hauler do you have?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

@Y-Guy wrote:

For a Utility trailer (which that video appears to be) maybe, I'd be very cautious about installing a setup like that on a RV door though, not without knowing how it's made  That much weight at the rear of the trailer, bouncing around on the highway makes me nervous.  Our Raptor had the tire installed under it and attached to the frame.   Which Toy Hauler do you have?

I have a Coachmen Catalina Trail Blazer TH26. Do you think that the  utility trailer ramp would be made that much stronger than the ramp on a toy hauler?

Here is the linc to the original video where the tire holder is mounted just below the ramp door; 2016 Grey Wolf 22RR Toy Hauler Spare Tire Carrier - YouTube

I know I'd feel better with it mounted like in the Grey Wolf. When some past users showed fixing their doors i was a bit shocked they didn't have more supports running in the middle.   I'd I were going to do it I'd use some steel pieces inside not just washers.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon