cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
7,968 REPLIES 7,968

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
Nobody in California has the right to claim that someone else's utility company is poorly run. Fix your own then show us how it is done.

Texas and California have both seen a notable uptick in weather-related power outages in the last few years. Texas experienced 80 weather-related blackouts from 2019 to 2021. โ€œThis three-year period accounts for 44% of Texasโ€™s total weather-related outages since 2000,โ€ the report notes. โ€œSevere or winter weather caused the majority of these outages (76%), followed by hurricanes (21%).โ€

Itโ€™s a similar story in California: 44 power outages from 2019 to 2021, with those three years responsible for more than one-third of the stateโ€™s total weather-related outages since 2000. This is partly because of the increased prevalence of wildfires, which caused 14 of Californiaโ€™s outages in the last three years.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/there-are-more-blackouts-these-days-and-its-climate-changes

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

What the ....?

Why do you even have to lie and distort to give excuses to these grossly incompetent and criminally negligent Texas leaders and electric company?

Those who died froze to death inside their homes for lack of power for heating.

Re-read you post then, if you mention your experience of being inconvenienced of a canceled game in the same breath of topic of people freezing to death, it is implied.

No argument that TX utility companies weren't prepared for a record cold spell of that magnitude and geographical breadth.
But think about what you're implying. First, you're implying intent to harm...ya pretty sure that wasn't the case.
Second, I can think of any number of natural disasters or weather extremes that kill people who are either not prepared or in the wrong place at the wrong time. This was no different.
Could those folks have been spared if the power didn't go out? Sure.
By the same token, everyone killed in a tornado could be spared if the govt builds a huge tornado shelter in every trailer park.

But wait, at some point for that to work, also requires everyone to GO to the shelter.
Same thing here, bud.
I understand that your view (and others) differs from mine and that general mindset that "nothing is MY fault" and "the Govt's responsibility is to take care of ME" is hard to overcome when you've literally become dependent on everything but yourself.

Another looks here?

First dismissing, now 246 deaths, to the inconvenience of your own canceled game. And now your diverting it to the false equivalence of tornado deaths.

Dude, these utilities and their incompetent and thoughtless leaders in Texas would just have leaned harder on them since decades earlier state's lack of preparedness for such storms in a report from U.S. federal regulators and Texas own Electric Reliability Council. Thus preventable.

What wrong with you?:h

Nobody in California has the right to claim that someone else's utility company is poorly run. Fix your own then show us how it is done.

I'm not in California but I'll play.

As far as I know, unlike Texas, there was no 246 deaths in California caused by gross negligence of both the state leadership and the utility company. Another of this false equivalency and whataboutthism.

Next!:S

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

What the ....?

Why do you even have to lie and distort to give excuses to these grossly incompetent and criminally negligent Texas leaders and electric company?

Re-read you post then, if you mention your experience of being inconvenienced of a canceled game in the same breath of topic of people freezing to death, it is implied.

No argument that TX utility companies weren't prepared for a record cold spell of that magnitude and geographical breadth.
But think about what you're implying. First, you're implying intent to harm...ya pretty sure that wasn't the case.
Second, I can think of any number of natural disasters or weather extremes that kill people who are either not prepared or in the wrong place at the wrong time. This was no different.
By the same token, everyone killed in a tornado could be spared if the govt builds a huge tornado shelter in every trailer park.

But wait, at some point for that to work, also requires everyone to GO to the shelter.
Same thing here, bud.
I understand that your view (and others) differs from mine and that general mindset that "nothing is MY fault" and "the Govt's responsibility is to take care of ME" is hard to overcome when you've literally become dependent on everything but yourself.

Another looks here?

First dismissing, now 246 deaths, to the inconvenience of your own canceled game. And now your diverting it to the false equivalence of tornado deaths.

Dude, these utilities and their incompetent and thoughtless leaders in Texas would just have leaned harder on them since decades earlier state's lack of preparedness for such storms in a report from U.S. federal regulators and Texas own Electric Reliability Council. Thus preventable.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
free radical wrote:

Or everyone could just build a house strong enough to survive tornado or earthquake in the first place.
The concrete insulated panels tech has been around for decades.

https://tridipanel.com/disaster-resistant-architecture/

Is Trudeau replacing all the trailer parks up there with precast concrete homes?
Only because a few people might be gullible enough to believe you am I pointing out the ridiculousness and hilarity of your reply here.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pbutler97 wrote:
free radical wrote:

Or everyone could just build a house strong enough to survive tornado or earthquake in the first place.

You could just build your house with 3' thick 6000 psi high early concrete walls, put 4 #11 vertical rebar mats in them with the #11s @ 8" O.C.E.W. You could also cast some W8x40 beams in them on 2' centers just for S&G. You also may as well as well drill in some 4' diameter caissons to bedrock to support it all and anchor it down or do a bunch of augercast piles, perhaps both.

Not sure why no one does that?

Now that's a little overdesigned...
One could likely get by with 24" thick walls with 2 mats of #9s 12" OCEW and 3' shafts.
As long as permanent casing is used for up to a D2 seismic design criteria (where I live). LOL
You must be in construction too...
Waiting for someone to suggest #13 bar...

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

What the ....?

Same thing here, bud.

Another lookee (to this shiny object) here?

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:

You could just build your house with 3' thick 6000 psi high early concrete walls, put 4 #11 vertical rebar mats in them with the #11s @ 8" O.C.E.W. You could also cast some W8x40 beams in them on 2' centers just for S&G. You also may as well as well drill in some 4' diameter caissons to bedrock to support it all and anchor it down or do a bunch of augercast piles, perhaps both.

Not sure why no one does that?

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

What the ....?

https://tridipanel.com/disaster-resistant-architecture/

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
womps wrote:
Tvov wrote:
free radical wrote:
Utah great salt lake has enough lithium for milions of EVs

https://youtu.be/l1LCFnoKKpU

Are they going to be able to use that? These days, if you try to plant a rose bush environmental radicals shut you down.

They probably wonโ€™t shut you down if itโ€™s to make batteries. Well, at least if itโ€™s batteries for electric vehicles that is!

The environmental radicals have been a plague to Tesla Berlin. To the point that battery manufacturing machines are being pulled out and sent to the US.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

What the ....?

Same thing here, bud.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
PButler96 wrote:
ROFLMAO......You would need to be a total idiot to go through all of that with the amount of info they're providing, let alone laying down that much coin.
If you are in the business the $50k is not a huge chunk of money.

The entertainment business? That's what we're talking about in this example, right?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
womps wrote:
Tvov wrote:
free radical wrote:

Are they going to be able to use that? These days, if you try to plant a rose bush environmental radicals shut you down.

They probably wonโ€™t shut you down if itโ€™s to make batteries. Well, at least if itโ€™s batteries for electric vehicles that is!

LOL, truth, unfortunately.

womps
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
free radical wrote:

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:

Drain it.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote: