cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sensitive headlight sensor

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
My 2018 Silverado seems to have a super sensitive automatic headlight sensor. Sometimes even if I drive through a shady area in the middle of the day with even bright sunshine my headlights will turn on. Had it checked out and was told everything checked out normal. Kind of annoying because all your displays dim when the headlights turn on. They will turn back off when you get back out in the bright sun. I think they should make those sensors to not be so sensitive. Anybody else have this issue?
13 REPLIES 13

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
d1h wrote:
My 2018 Silverado seems to have a super sensitive automatic headlight sensor. Sometimes even if I drive through a shady area in the middle of the day with even bright sunshine my headlights will turn on. Had it checked out and was told everything checked out normal. Kind of annoying because all your displays dim when the headlights turn on. They will turn back off when you get back out in the bright sun. I think they should make those sensors to not be so sensitive. Anybody else have this issue?

Is your windshield tinted by any chance? That will drastically affect how the auto headlights work.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
deltabravo wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
I guess they are all different. My 2022 F150 light switch has 4 positions; off, parking lights, auto, and headlights. And it stays where you turn it.

That's a Ford thing.

GM headlights are always in auto mode when the switch is off.
Disable auto mode by turning the knob counterclockwise, then it springs back to off.
My 2009 and 2017 Chevy trucks are like this.

My 2002, 2003, and 2015s have all been like that too.

Some day I'm going to find an older truck for a toy and being spoiled by all this automation, will probably get pulled over for driving in the dark with my lights off because I was expecting them to come on automatically, LOL.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
BB_TX wrote:
I guess they are all different. My 2022 F150 light switch has 4 positions; off, parking lights, auto, and headlights. And it stays where you turn it.

That's a Ford thing.

GM headlights are always in auto mode when the switch is off.
Disable auto mode by turning the knob counterclockwise, then it springs back to off.
My 2009 and 2017 Chevy trucks are like this.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
mkirsch wrote:
Fisherman wrote:
If I turn off the auto headlights, the sensor is disabled and won't turn on the vehicle lights, pretty easy.

You can flip the knob to "off" but that only works for this start. Next time you start the truck up the automatic lights are reactivated. As soon as you manually turn the lights on the automatic lights are reactivated.

The knob won't stay in the "off" position. It spring-loads back to auto.

It's just another thing to have to remember to do EVERY TIME you get in the truck, to mitigate a momentary annoyance that only SOMETIMES happens.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fisherman wrote:
If I turn off the auto headlights, the sensor is disabled and won't turn on the vehicle lights, pretty easy.

You can flip the knob to "off" but that only works for this start. Next time you start the truck up the automatic lights are reactivated. As soon as you manually turn the lights on the automatic lights are reactivated.

The knob won't stay in the "off" position. It spring-loads back to auto.

It's just another thing to have to remember to do EVERY TIME you get in the truck, to mitigate a momentary annoyance that only SOMETIMES happens.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I love some of the first world problems on here! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Set the instrumentation light dimmer control to the brightest setting and the panel lights stay bright even when the headlights turn on.
That's what I have done on all three of my vehicles, two of which are Chevy trucks.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t know if Chevy is the same but with some brands the light level and delay after hitting that threshold is adjustable within the vehicleโ€™s software.

One option I like on mine that the dealer activated is that when the wipers are activated (other than just washing bug guts away) the full headlight package also comes on.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some designers are better at those sensors than others. Seems the Ram trucks have a short delay before the lights come on. Works well on all my journeys down treed roads.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Normal. Not uncommon to see vehicles on the road where lights turn on going under underpasses.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™d say find something else to worry about.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know it's a special feature of the truck.. My 2013 F150 has that too... I think I used it once.. It turns on when it's in the garage.. I park the truck in the garage. Didn't want that to happen every time I started the truck in the garage.

Just went back to my roots and turn them on when it's needed and turn them off when not. ๐Ÿ™‚

Not trying to be snarky about it, as you and I did "pay" for that feature... Well, it came in an option package, so no choice unless you didn't want the whole package, which I did for the other features I use all the time..

Anyway, I still miss the high beams being a big button you pressed with your left foot under the parking brake pedal! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.