cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rocket exhaust from diesel regen

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I just picked up a '22 3500HD Denali Duramax. I've seen a couple reports of people saying they had their TT or FW scorched by the rocket exhaust from a regen on a diesel. Any truth to this? I sure as hell don't want to fry the skin on my FW if I don't have to. Banks claims their Monster Exhaust, with more of a side delivery, prevents this. Just looking for real-work experience if it's even something to worry about.

TIA,
Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member
25 REPLIES 25

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:
If you google it you will see a few owners have had issues with this but the majority of posters havenโ€™t. I didnโ€™t realize this could be a problem.

Not a problem for me. And I am in Phoenix. We just set a record for high temps. All of July days were 110 or higher
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^You drug this thread out of the dumpster to suggest an exhaust cutout? Roflmao
First, the โ€œrocket exhaustโ€ lol ainโ€™t gonna burn the trailer even if itโ€™s a GM which has an almost north south exhaust tip. Itโ€™s especially not an issue with any Ford or Dodge because the exhaust exits in an easterly direction, to the side.

PS if you think itโ€™s an issue, a simple turndown tip or a re worked tailpipe is far simpler and cheaper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

liamricci
Explorer
Explorer
While some individuals have reported issues, the risk can be minimized with proper precautions. One solution you might explore is an electric exhaust cutout. This allows you to control exhaust flow, potentially reducing the intensity of exhaust directed towards your TT or FW during regen.

Banks claims their Monster Exhaust, with a side delivery design, can prevent exhaust-related issues. However, it's always wise to consider real-world experiences from fellow RV owners. Check forums or reach out to other Duramax owners to gather firsthand feedback and insights.

With careful driving practices and possibly an exhaust cutout or alternative exhaust system, you can likely enjoy your new truck and protect your TT or FW without worries. Safe travels!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
sayoung wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
May look into a Banks exhaust system if it becomes a problem

Link

I haven't done the exhaust on my 2012 simply because the only benefit I got on my 2003 ( - ) was my DW gripping about how loud the truck was now. Honestly never saw any measurable performance gain.

While any โ€œperformance exhaustโ€ on an emissions intact light duty diesel is wholly a wasted of every cent and minute invested into it, your comparison also makes zero sense.
And likely not any gain on whatever โ€œ03โ€ you had either unless it was making hundreds of hp more than stock.

My son changed his emissions downstream exhaust pipe to 5" on mis 15 RAM and it did give a deeper tone.

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
sayoung wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

I haven't done the exhaust on my 2012 simply because the only benefit I got on my 2003 ( - ) was my DW gripping about how loud the truck was now. Honestly never saw any measurable performance gain.

On a DPF equipped truck your DW probably wouldn't notice the difference in sound.

No difference in sound? FINE. Of course if there is no difference in performance everybody needs to pass a bunch cash out of pocket just to say they got it...

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
sayoung wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

On a DPF equipped truck your DW probably wouldn't notice the difference in sound.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
sayoung wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

While any โ€œperformance exhaustโ€ on an emissions intact light duty diesel is wholly a wasted of every cent and minute invested into it, your comparison also makes zero sense.
And likely not any gain on whatever โ€œ03โ€ you had either unless it was making hundreds of hp more than stock.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
pulling a TT or a loaded up 41' toy hauler up the big hill might have different results...just saying!
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I've pulled two different trailers with my 2015.5 duramax probably totalling over 20K miles. never had any indication of regen temps affecting the trailer.

I did finally find a cover for the ugly pipe, seems like forever no one made a decent looking cover, but I just got a PPE SS slide on cover that is about 1/4" large ID than the exhaust, make a big positive difference in looks.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
I never had a problem with my 2008 or 2020 Duramax.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
laknox wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

I'm considering it, for sure.

Lyle

Aside from its quite likely NOT going to burn your trailer (have you even hooked the truck to it, or just armchair hand wringing?), unless you want the nice chrome exhaust tip and 89% less back pressure from the dpf back (extra lol at the Gale banks marketing team for that useless tidbit), save your $700ish + install.
Either A. Go see if it may be a real issue and/or B. Go to a muffler shop (if you canโ€™t run a hack saw and a screwdriver) and have them either put a nice turndown tip on it, or have them weld in a little elbow and kick the megaphone thingy out a little to the side.
1 option is like 15min and under $100. The other is still probably only 25% the cost of a monster exhaust.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
The piece of heavy equipment I drive at work says during regen to assure that the exhaust is not pointed at anything flammable. Trees, buildings, fences, cars, etc.

This makes me think they expect some serious heat to come out the pipe. The exhaust system is quite long also running down the chassis and up out the rear framework.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

I'm considering it, for sure.

Lyle

Sorry I missed that you're considering a Banks in your original post. The GM exhaust is directed more towards the rear and the Banks is directed towards the side. Other than that the installation process is something you need to consider, but it doesn't look like a tough job.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"