cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New tow vehicle after 3 years of hard work

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Finally finished this thing up after 3 years of hard work.

After racing a friend of mines car for 15 years I told him I would do all the body and paint work on his tow rig Burb for free if he would buy the materials.

We use to use this as a tow vehicle for the race car. It was in great mechanical shape but the body was a mess.

The spec: 350 Vortex engine with RV cam, HEI ign, duel plane intake and long tube headers (about 300HP). Late model 700R4 trans. 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. Huge front power disk brakes with huge rear drum. Power steering. Custom 1 piece drive shaft. 36 gallon custom aluminum fuel tank. Front and rear sway bars. KH trailer brake controller. Huge off-set double core aluminum radiator. Limo tint windows.

It's a bitter sweet ending though. The race car has been sold many years ago and the trailer was just sold yesterday. The vehicle that was made to tow will likely never tow again......at least in this owners life time.

I traveled thousands of miles in this Burb going to and coming from many race tracks. It was always a super nice ride and towed great and never broke down. When this thing is sold someone is going to get a great tow vehicle that will only go up in price and value.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
19 REPLIES 19

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cool, in another post I talked about removing a 292 six and installing a 283 is my 63 sub. It was a panel door model also with was good to having the tool box inside the back doors, and easy to work on the boat while on the trailer hooked to the sub. Only needed a different motor mount tower for the passenger side of the engine to do the swap. And I bought the factory fan shroud that was long front to back to cover the fan. Looking under the hood one would have never guessed that it did not come OEM with the V8!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Pretty cool. Good job. Are you going to pair it up with a vintage trailer?

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Great job and looking Sub !

Your handiwork is first rate

Some of them of that era had two piece drive shafts. With the center bearing mounted on a cross piece that had a hole in it

IIRC, if the rear end drops a bit too much at speed...that center structure & it's hole would cut a one piece replacement shaft in half...

Super cool rig and what fun with a 'built' 350. Guessing it weighs in around 3,500-4,000 lbs. Power to weight ratio close to muscle car range
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
How can you call that a tow rig? It's only a small block gasser, 6-bolt hubs, and semi-floating rear axles!

The bylaws of this of this forum state that such a rig is not suitable to tow a wheelbarrow with two trash cans from the garage to the street.

Seriously, that is nice. I would drive it every day and work it when I needed it to.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

That is 1 sweet Burban.... Not too shabby of a Vega either ! ! :C
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good job, nice pics! Keeping the TV will keep the many enjoyable memories alive.

Jerry

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Nv Guy wrote:
Great looking tow rig, good job. It would be a great tow rig for a nostalgia racer. I can see it pulling a front engine dragster on an open trailer.

Close enough? This old school Vega is what it towed for years and years.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great looking tow rig, good job. It would be a great tow rig for a nostalgia racer. I can see it pulling a front engine dragster on an open trailer.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
HUGE radiator !

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
:C :C :C

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
Great job ! That is a nice ride.