cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New gas stations everywhere

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II

If we are heading to an all electric future why is it everywhere I go I see new gas stations being built? Some are huge with rows and rows of gas pumps. Don't seem to see any charging stations being built. Is  the electric revolution going to die and ICE will remain king?

62 REPLIES 62

Totally agree. GM, Ford and Stellantis are in for a rough ride. 

Meanwhile EV sales growth remains strong. The number one selling car in the world is electric. And the fastest two growing car companies in the world are Electric. Itโ€™s going to be an interesting decade. 

I think we have had this discussion before. Is tesla the number one selling car in the world? Despite Elon's claims, No, it isn't.

Is Tesla Model Y Worldโ€™s Best-Selling Car? Nope, Not Even Close (autoweek.com)

Despite the massive government (tax dollars) infused capital to propel Elon to the richest person in the world, and all the hype and mandates, appetite for EV's still isn't there.  As evidenced by the recent pull back from most auto manufacturers. Tesla might be the most valuable manufacturer, but it's done with tax dollars not car sales.

I have nothing against EV's but facts matter. facts manipulated to provide the illusion to support an argument or to coerce buyers. If you love EV's, great for you. But the reality is, if they are to overtake a proven platform like ICEs, hybrids, or efficient diesels, they need to be much much better. And more importantly, people need to want them more than ICE's. 

The evidence is spelled out in the OP's observation. More gas stations are being built than EV charging stations. Pretty straightforward. Supply, demand. 

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

It seems your claims may not be truthful. fastest-growing-automotive-brands-of-2023-in-the-world 

But then again, anyone that makes statements of fact without any backup donโ€™t have any credibility with me to begin with - itโ€™s just idle chatter.

I stand corrected. I didnโ€™t really consider Mahindra, and Lamborghini. In the mix as they are not mainstream manufacturers for the Asian, western and European markets whereas Tesla and BYD are. 
 My apologies. 

and remember. Tesla is still the most valuable car company on the world. 

Hard to believe anyone believes that EVโ€™s are going away. 

Iโ€™ll leave it there. Been a fun discussion. 

Lets forgive Resinder for his "accidental" misleading misinformation post on EVs being the most and fastest selling vehicles currently.  According to long time reputable car and driver magazine it is the three pickup gas trucks from GM, Ford and Ram along with the ICE gas Toyota Rav 4 and the Honda CRV autos that are top 5 with a Tesla being number 6 or 5. No one has said EVs are going away but that their numbers are increasing at a measured pace.  Electric big truck drivers in California are spending more time charging and less time hauling freight and their heavier electric trucks carry less freight than ICE trucks thus driving up the cost to the consumer.  This will not last nation wide as some businesses have discontinued using commercial EV trucks and some cities discontinued using EV busses.  The only thing I dislike about EVs is the arrogant snobbish attitude of many owners who want to force this EV c onto the rest of us.  Not going to happen by 2030 or 35 for sure.

https://www.caranddriver.com/honda/cr-v

Ultra super large close up of Perkins in Tokyo with Bell 212 1978 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.PNGResized photo of Perkins with N81FC on drill ship - Copy - Copy - Copy (2).jpg

Good morning Mastevac. 

1. Two things. I think those are American sales numbers. 
2. Three of those are trucks. 

"Hard to believe anyone believes that EVโ€™s are going away"

Might just be me, but no where did I read, nor interpret, that anyone thinks EV's are disappearing.

Conversation is about growth, expansion, and direction.  You know, reality.

ICE will be here for much longer than utopia dreamers spout...

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

MastEvac71, lol, well written.

Some just don't like facts getting in the way.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad

The vast majority of EV charging is done at home in the driveway. 

On road trips we use superchargers or other branded DC fast chargers.  The growth of new charging locations is strong where we are. But 1 out of 4 vehicles sold here is electric so thatโ€™s kind of expected. 

Glad to see more trailer friendly charge locations being built as well. We also charge a lot in campgrounds if they are serviced. Some have dedicated charge facilities that are either pay by app or flat fee and others (most) are complimentary. 

We have toured all over Canada and extensively in BC. BC and Quebec have the best infrastructure at this point. 

Cheers. 

IMG_7940.jpeg

โ€ƒ

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

We all have to remember that just before Covid 19 hit, the oil industry told us we had decades of oil remaining. Now the say we are running out now. It's hard to have any faith in what they tell us.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II

@d1h wrote:

If we are heading to an all electric future why is it everywhere I go I see new gas stations being built? Some are huge with rows and rows of gas pumps. Don't seem to see any charging stations being built. Is  the electric revolution going to die and ICE will remain king?

Because reality is just that;  completely impossible to switch to all EV in 5, 10, 20, 30 years like some would like you to believe.  Run the numbers just to charge 10,000 big trucks.  You'd have to build a huge hydro project to do just that, and, AND, get the infrastructure built to get the stations in place.  It's a wet dream, a tall tale, an imaginative solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Stated by a guy that loves innovation, free market and margins that offer opportunity.  But not blind rhetoric and those that follow it...

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Wishful thinking, but the reason is there's money to be made. Mega stations like Buc-ee's, Maverick, maybe even Wawa, and even truck stops like Love's and Pilot have become tourist attractions where you buy gas. Pull in, park at the pump, gas up, and go shopping! The lion's share of the money is made inside the store. Unique food choices, convenience items for the locals, souvenirs... it's big bucks, and the competition is heating up.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

I agree.  Our country does well with capitalism it always has, but your points are solid. I would think after all these electric car problems are worked out they will be viable for actual road travel.  from what I see now that's a way off yet. We managed to take a V8 and make it somewhat mileage friendly so I don't know why we couldn't do the same with electric cars. BUT, and it's a big BUT!  Nothing should be mandated by anyone for any reason. If I want a gasser I should be able to get one and the same goes for an EV.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II

People are just diving a lot and there is still far more ICE vehicles both on the road and being purchased than electric vehicles.  Since cars last an average of about 12 years these days EVs have a lot of catching up to do.  Tesla is building chargers as fast as they can go though.  Several have opened near me in the past year.  The rate is expected to pick up rapidly as Tesla now qualifies for government financial assistance and virtually every EV made will be built to accept Tesla chargers by the end of the year.  Competitive charging stations are picking up the pace as well.  

Tesla charge stations don't put up big signs to attract your attention.  That is not needed as the cars already know where the chargers are.  Since charging still takes longer than fueling Tesla places most of their chargers in parking lots where food and activities are available to help pass the time while holding down Tesla's building costs.  If you are not looking for a row of chargers in parking lots you may never see them.  Also, the vast majority of charging for most EV owners is done at home.  I have about 30,000 miles on my Tesla and it has been to public charge stations less than 20 times.  Most of the time it just charges while I am sleeping.  No lost time or mileage getting to gas stations.  

Tesla North American charging stations 

The red dots on the map are Superchargers and the grey dots are destination chargers.  The charging costs at most destination chargers is paid by the destination to promote their business.  They are only about 5% as fast as a Supercharger but have no trouble getting the job done over night.

You can manipulate the map to zoom in to any area you are interested in.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III

What does ICE mean?