cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.6 Chevy gas engine

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a 6.6 gas engine Chevy 2500 HD . What are the good and bad points of this truck

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
8 REPLIES 8

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
The good: It doesn't have displacement on demand
The bad: It's direct injected

Which is not an issue on this engine...The L8T is derived from the LT1 introduced in 2014. The 6.2/5.3 line of engines have the same DI with no issues due to carbon build up. It is was well know that it is not an issue on the GM V8. They also have a baffle in the valve cover to help prevent the problem, it reduces oil pull through in the PCV system.
In fact for some reason the GM vehicles don't typically suffer the carbon problems of certain other makes. See the GM 2.0 LTG turbo. I have one in the Malibu, borescope shows no carbon on the backside of the valves at 90,000 miles.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The good: It doesn't have displacement on demand
The bad: It's direct injected
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Pretty complete and succinct answer.
I guess one thing not mentioned, the Chevy HD front clips are still almost as ugly as a mud fence. Iโ€™d go GMC just so I didnโ€™t have to look at a fugly $60k grille.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The "good and bad points" are the same as in any other gas vs. diesel discussion.

The good, it's a gasser. You won't get the problems that SOMETIMES happen to diesels, and it may be less expensive to maintain on a per-service basis. The fuel is less expensive.

The bad, it's a gasser. It won't pull like a diesel, so if you have an apoplexy any time your engine runs faster than 2000RPM, plan on ending up in the hospital sooner or later. It will need to be maintained more often. It will use more fuel.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I have been driving a 6.6 with 10 sp since Feb. I have over 13k miles. I have towed a variety of trailers/wagons with it. I had a 2020 Reg Cab Dually with 6.6 and 6 sp. I towed a variety of trailers up to 15k lbs. I have also had a 2021 Denali Duramax and 2022 Silverado LTZ Duramax. I have never had any issues with either the 6.6 or Duramax.

Towing, the 6.6 is way better than my 6.0 6sp and 3.42 rear axle in my Express van. The Duramax is better than the 6.6. If I was buying another, and with no plans to drive the Mountains, I would get a gas 6.6.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You are funnyโ€ฆone day and youโ€™re โ€œanyone??โ€ lol.
Btw itโ€™s an open ended question. Theyโ€™re good engines and about half the torque, worse mileage and no exhaust brake compared to your current truck. The bad point is itโ€™s a serious downgrade for towing compared to what you have.
The good point is your Dmax should still sell well and gas trucks are now getting back into the significant discounts under msrp if youโ€™re thinking of buying new.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if this helps much but since you haven't received any other responses...

I've had my 2024 6.6 gas with 10 speed transmission for 3 months now. I only have 3,000 miles on it, but it has all been towing 8,000-14,000 lbs for work. No problems so far and it is a vast improvement in towing over my 2012 6.0 with 6 speed. Not that I thought the 2012 was bad at towing, its just the 6.6 and 10 speed makes it feel totally effortless in comparison.

My father in law has a 2020 6.6 with the 6 speed with nearly 80,000 miles on it now and he has not had any trouble with it.

Hope this helps

Mike

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS