cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yamaha vs Honda 3K

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK I'm thinking about upgrading my current generator to either a Honda or Yamaha 3K. And want to use an extended run tank. I understand these larger units do not have a fuel pump so use the vacuum pull system for extended run.

The much greater weights are an issue, but these are supposed to be much quieter that my current gen and I may be able to run one from the platform on back of my TT.

I have an old Honda 2K and it has been nothing but trouble, went to the shop for a carb replacement with not much improvement. So I am slightly leery of Hondas. But understand I may just have a lemon.

The other option is 2 2K units ganged together but then you have to feed two tanks. I wonder if you could feed both from a common external tank.

Anyway whatever comments you have will be helpful. Does the Yamaha have an RV plug?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
18 REPLIES 18

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where is the Yamaha and Honda made?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You would need to check with Honda to confirm this but from what I understand ONLY Honda's have a honest to gas tank fuel pump. thus ONLY hondas can suck gas out of the extended run tank.... NOW.... does the 3K have a fuel pump. Don't know.

Yahama has other advantages but if ER is a necessity... Honda may be your only choice.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK just to wrap this up, I went down to Northern Tools about 45 miles away, and bought 1-Honda EU2200 and one EU2200 companion plus the Berg single gen sysstem, them didn't have the dual generator system but I figured I could work around that. And I thought I was buying a parallel cable kit but when I got home found that someone had swapped it for a 12V DV cable kit...heh.

Northern Tools had the cheapest prices I could find plus there was a moderately close store.

Anyway I ordered a cap at Amazon for $22 along with some 1/4" rubber fuel line for $7. Those got here today, you need to be careful ordering from Amazon they have the default delivery date set to weeks away. I bought some brass fittings at the local Hardware for $18. That got the double gen system set up, I just replaced the 90 deg fitting in the Berg system with a brass tee and worked from there. Once I got it put together I discovered that I need a quick connect in the new fuel hose otherwise it's going to be a PITA to get the cap off the generator. So I ordered one of those in nylon but the delivery time is two weeks. Brass ones were $45-70 the plastic one $10 and since it's for fuel hose it should be OK.

Still don't have the parallel cable but decided I could work w/o it for a couple of days. Started the two gens and shut down the Champion 3500/4000. And what a difference in sound levels. You can hardly hear the Honda's from 30 feet away. The Champion may be quieter than a Construction gen but don't come close to the Honda. I've made the claim that the Champion was almost as quiet myself during these threads and I was just wrong.
Superbumper

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
As far as I know Honda is still the only one that uses a fuel pump. I am not positive on that.

Concur !

One thing I have always wondered ...

On generators without a built in fuel pump, if the auxiliary tank was ABOVE the carburetor bowl (placed on top of something like a milk crate and the suction hose went to the bottom of that tank and a primer bulb was used to start the flow (siphon), wouldn't it continue on it own ?

I would think that would work, but have never tried it since, well, I don't need to.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
As far as I know Honda is still the only one that uses a fuel pump. I am not positive on that.

Concur !

One thing I have always wondered ...

On generators without a built in fuel pump, if the auxiliary tank was ABOVE the carburetor bowl (placed on top of something like a milk crate and the suction hose went to the bottom of that tank and a primer bulb was used to start the flow (siphon), wouldn't it continue on it own ?

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made my own extended run for two Honda 2000s using a plastic 6.5 gallon boat tank, a couple of boat fittings, and two fuel lines. You just need a tee at the boat tank, with two of your favorite boat fittings on it.If you are like me and don't have a boat, I bought what they had in stock to complete the system.
I wasn't sure if the system would suck air in when I was only using one generator, but it doesn't. The most I was out was one length of fuel hose, and a couple brass fittings if it didn't work. As far as I know Honda is still the only one that uses a fuel pump. I am not positive on that.
BTW, regarding Hondas costing too much, I just turned 1000 hours last week on my newest Honda. And that is just since I put the hour meters on them. They both have WAY more hours than that on them. I couldn't even venture a guess as to actual hours, but they are still flawless in operation.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well for a couple of reasons, I'm now leaning toward dual Honda 2200 + 2200 companion. And the Berg dual gen fuel system. The reduced weight is a big factor plus you actually get more power from this setup. The Berg system is pricey at $199 but is a turn-key system that has a good track record. I have an old marine fuel tank but I'm not sure how well it would work, I haven't used it for many years. I probably will order all this from Northern Tools. We don't have a store near but I think they are scattered around the country.

As to the house and 240V the well pump is down at the Father in Laws.
Superbumper

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You say you will also run an off grid house. Do you need 240v for a well pump perhaps? The little Honda generators won't get you 240v without a transformer.
I bought 2 Honda 2200's because I got them used with the parallel cable, gas can, and some oil all for $1,000. I'd have no problem with Yamaha either. It's a tough choice that really doesn't have a wrong answer.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well for a couple of reasons, I'm now leaning toward dual Honda 2200 + 2200 companion. And the Berg dual gen fuel system. The reduced weight is a big factor plus you actually get more power from this setup. The Berg system is pricey at $199 but is a turn-key system that has a good track record. I have an old marine fuel tank but I'm not sure how well it would work, I haven't used it for many years. I probably will order all this from Northern Tools. We don't have a store near but I think they are scattered around the country.
Superbumper

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a Yamaha 3000 for 15 years. Never any problems. Just regular changing of oil/spark plug/air filter. Our has a twist style 30 amp plug.
Dealer provided an adapter pigtail at purchase.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to a post I made in thread last year regarding inverter generators.

I haven't had any trouble out of the Northern Tools Powerhorse, but I haven't had a lot of opportunities to use it. I run it for at least 15 minutes every 30 days with a space heater attached for load, and I've used it at the house for several hours during power outages. I only have around 20 hours on it though.

For the reasons I referenced in the other post, primary being Northern Tools in house service, I would definitely purchase from them again.

Someone recently posted this link to a company that does aftermarket extended run fuel systems. Looks interesting, but pricey.

I'm not affiliated with either company and don't have any first hand knowledge of the extended run systems or the company that makes them.

Honda has always been a good product, but they aren't worth the price difference to me. The Honda is more than double the equivalently rated Powerhorse.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with two 2000W units just because they are easier to carry around.

A compromise would be a Westinghouse iGen2500. It probably has the most power of any unit that you can carry with one hand (dry weight 48 lbs). Initial "field" reports have been good.

Westinghouse iGen2500 vs Predator 3500

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I would get the Champion 3400 watt with remote electric start.

Next choice would be the Harbor Freight 3500 watt, with electric start.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Does the Yamaha have an RV plug?
DK, but you can make your own parallel wires for a LOT less money.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman