cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WFCO WF-8955 amps in absorption mode

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I have a WFCO-8955 (55 amp) that absolutely will not go into bulk mode even though itโ€™s a 3 stage converter. Not sure if itโ€™s inadequate wiring or an inadequate converter. Itโ€™s always 13.6-13.8 no matter the state of charge of the batteries. What Iโ€™d like to know is how many amps is it putting out in this mode. And donโ€™t tell me 55 because we all know that ainโ€™t possible! ??
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel
21 REPLIES 21

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
mooky stinks wrote:
Itโ€™s always 13.6-13.8 no matter the state of charge of the batteries. What Iโ€™d like to know is how many amps is it putting out in this mode.

Something else to add, if you "never" see the voltage drop down into the 13.25 volt range, (float mode) sooner or later being at 13.6V (standard charge) "all" the time is a sign you are going to boil out the battery in short order. Check the electrolyte level often to not go below the plates.

If you are camping on shore power for 4 to 5 days and the voltage never drops to 13.25 V, there is a problem. Maybe the WFCO, maybe a bad cell in the battery. This is a separate issue from not going into boost mode.

WFCO's as they age are real good battery killers and other devices in the camper. They seem to die 3 ways. Way high voltage, real low voltage or just plain die and do not work. The first two ways you may not notice until other damage is done. At least when they die totally, they do not kill something else in the process.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
typical WFCO operation. Part of the problem is long undersized wiring. But IMHO them major issue is how the WFCO decides to go into boost mode. It stuffs the rated current into the battery and then AT the WFCO OUTPUT looks at the voltage needed to maintain the current. If it is above something around 14V it drops to the "trickle" mode. so... voltage drop along the run is usually enough to never let it go into boost mode. so, your stuck with a 13.6V or so output, and 15-20A.

If you only have one battery, likely never go into boost mode. a huge bank, sometimes. Others have done tricks, turn on a heavy load to keep the battery voltage down low so the WFCO output doesn't reach the trip point initially. Make sure you have very large and short wire to the batteries., usually very hard to do since most trailers have the converter way away from the tongue.

solution.............. replace with a well designed charger, Progressive dynamics, iota etc.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a couple of WFCO on previous campers...the solution if you really need boost mode is to change out the converter to either and IOTA or Progressive Dynamics with a mode switch so you can manually select boost.

I was able to manual get my WFCO to go to boost by turning it on with a battery checker connected (resistance load of @ 50 amps)...but this is not practical to do and didn't even work every time.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good responses above.
I never got far enough to figure out if it was a wiring deficiency or just the normal behavior (which apparently can be tricked into working better), as we didnโ€™t use the camper a lot and always had power either with hookups or the generator.
But had I kept the camper, I would have looked into the above suggestions and/or junked it for a better converter.
I had the same issue as the OP. It never went into full charge mode. Never saw more than 13.6V at the batteries.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

red31
Explorer
Explorer
you could certainly measure the amps and will likely find that it varies from near zero on up mainly based on the battery's condition.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here is what I have run into with the WFCO on this non going into boost issue.

Part of the problem is wiring within the camper. A long run on no. 6 awg across a 25 to 18 ft run between the battery and the converter limits the converter from going into boost and it also limits the amps from the way the converter senses the battery.

In my case, the factory installed a 30 amp self resetting breaker in that same main feed line to protect the battery, wire etc. They know the converter will never be passing anywhere near the 30 amp breaker limit back to the battery in charge mode. The WFCO's in this setup has real issues going into boost.

My guess is, you may only be getting 15 to 20 amps from the converter to the battery regardless being in boost at 14.4 or standard charge at 13.6 volts. That is what I measured on mine while boondocking.

I did change out my converter from a prior 2 stage American Enterprises to a Progressive Dynamics and it has no issues going into boost, I can even use the wizard and force the modes. BUT, that same small wire that long is still limiting the charge amps even in boost mode.

In order to get the amps up, one needs to move a good power converter real close to the battery and used really large short cables. Then the converter can sense the battery resistance better and pump up the amps also.

It seems that maybe, the standard RV setup with a 55 amp or 60 amp power converter is setup to allow, approx. 20 amps to charge the battery while the rest of the 35 to 40 amps is running the camper. That smaller wire setup is making that happen on a long camper.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
you can read about what others have done to force boost mode here

WFCO 8955 - force into boost mode