cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weird electrical problem

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
So I just fixed a very weird electrical problem on my daughter's family trailer. The only symptom I was originally given was the refrigerator does not work when switched to electric and there is no shore power.

Well, just as I was about to get started with my diagnostics, her husband said, "None of the lights work either !". Big clue, no power from the battery !!

So we checked the battery and it was good. No power to the 2 or 3 fuses we checked. Check the B+ wire in a couple of places underneath, GOOD ! So back to the converted/fuse panel. No obvious B+ without taking the whole fuse panel out. I studied the diagram on the cover and noticed that there was 40A fuse labeled "reverse battery protection". I pulled it out to get a good look and test with the meter. GOOD ! Plugged it back in and THE LIGHTS CAME ON !!!
8 REPLIES 8

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Consider treating it with deoxit?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd recommend deoxit or similar to clean the contacts and then electrical/dielectric grease.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Corroded fuse connection?
I've had fuses where I've had to clean up the contacts

Nothing obvious, but yes !

Removing and reinstalling the fuse actually makes tiny scratches.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I would recommend getting a new fuse! Or at least carry one!

Well stocked on fuses !

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with enblethenโ€ฆnew fuse and a spare plus clean the connectors.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Just like an old carburetor. Take it apart, look at it, don't change anything, put it back together, and it works. PFM. Pure Friggin Magic!
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Corroded fuse connection?
I've had fuses where I've had to clean up the contacts
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would recommend getting a new fuse! Or at least carry one!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker