cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Temperature on Suburban Gas/Electric Water Heater

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to be able to increase the water temperature but I'm not sure where to find a replacement that is higher or even better is simply adjustable. They look like this on mine.

There are two of them one for the electric and one for the gas. How do I do it?
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
12 REPLIES 12

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œthat I'm thinking of replacing it with you'd see what I mean, that's a single thermostat.โ€

I mean single is the way after thinking two!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wasatchmtnatvr
Explorer
Explorer
T-stat-Eco combo. electric 140' 232317 part #.. Dsi lp 232319 140'. Problem solved. Suburban part numbers.
Coleman folding trailer
GMC conversion van
Haulmark Harley Hauler enclosed trlr.(No Harley)
Honda Rubicon atv

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like exactly what I was hoping for, thank you.

And yes I get that replacing it without the emergency shutoff would be dangerous but I could put one in on my own too along with the adjustable thermostat. Not going to bother with it now though as the plug and play aspect of what avaliable above trumps being able to adjust the temperature.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suburban Water Heaters

Two sets of t-stats
One set (Left side/black wires) is the 120V AC for electric heat control
One set (Right side/red wires) is the 12V DC for propane heat control

Top t-stat is the High Temp T-stat....trips at 170*F/MANUAL Reset
Bottom t-stat is the Normal Temp T-stat....Opens at 130*F/closes at 100*F)

Both electric and propane same temp settings +/-5*F

Suburban OEM is 130*F BUT there is an OPTIONAL 140*F set (High temp is still 170*) for electric and propane

120V AC 140*F Set----#232317
12V DC 140*F Set ----#232319

About $18 each...........HERE
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You have 4 tstats.
1. 120 side is the regular tstat at either 130 or 140. The wire connecting that tstat to the other tstat is the ECO(electronic cut out), that is usually preset at 180. This tstat is a SAFETY stat to prevent overheating if the main tstat fails.
2. LP side is the exact same as above.
YOU CANNOT SAFELY BYPASS THE ECO AND INSTALL JUST A 140 TSTAT.
As I stated, I have never seen any aftermarket tstat kit for a Suburban, What you have probably seen is the ATWOOD w/h aftermarket kit with either a higher degree tstat or the adjustable one. Doug

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
I get that but two thermostats for each one is unnecessary, what the other guy explained makes more sense. If you look at what I posted above that I'm thinking of replacing it with you'd see what I mean, that's a single thermostat.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Also, why does it look like there are four thermostats? one side is 12v and the others 120 volts

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
My gas is a 130, I just tested it. I would guess the electric is at 120 or less based on how long the gas burns for. I'm thinking of trying something like this.

I'm thinking of going to 140, particularly on the electric side, would be a big bonus. Am I going to burn myself up, lol?

It's either that or the wife might want an endless electric water heater. I know the kind they usually install in RV's are very expensive. However we've spent a lot of time in South East Asia and the use these cheap on demand water heater for the shower that always worked well enough for us. They look like this guy.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
RV water heaters typically are set to 140 from the factory. If Doug says otherwise for this model, believe what he says and disregard what I've written. (That's good advice on most of these sorts of issues, truth be told.)

One of the two thermostats in each pair is a high temperature safety cutoff, in case the normal thermostat should fail. The other is the "real" thermostat.

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
I have a ten and yes, that's the reason. I do that also but I know at least with other water heaters, you can turn up the temperature, not sure why this one would be special. There has got to be some way around it. Maybe one of those little button thermostats you can buy on Amazon for a couple bucks, would just need to find a way to attach it. I did that with the thermostat for my fan in the back of my refrigerator.

I also noticed that it's hotter on gas. If I have the electric on all day and then cut the gas on, it runs for a good ten minutes.

Also, why does it look like there are four thermostats? I mean, why does each one have have two of the circles connected to each other.

I'm not looking to go crazy but 140 or 150 would last way longer without being dangerous as it's me and my wife and we'd both be aware and if it was adjustable I could turn it back down when not needed. I know plenty of people who crank them up at home.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I am not aware of any aftermarket tstat/ECO that is available for the Suburban water heater. What gallon do you have 6 or 10? Why do you want to increase the water temp? To get more hot water by mixing the cold with a higher temp? You can run BOTH 120 and LP at the same time for faster recovery. Doug

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I believe they are a fixed temp that is engineered for the other components of the unit.