cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Pump issues or is it a CHECK VALVE ISSUE???

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Just did a three week trip with our Eagle Cap Camper. Late in the trip we noticed when we ran the water pump and ran water no matter whether it was a short quick run of water or enough water to make the pump run again. Then turned if we turned the water off and back on there was NO water pressure what so ever No water comes out of the tap until the pump is turned on. In other words the water line is not holding pressure for even a couple minutes.

Is the PUMP Failing or is there a Check Valve that I am not aware of that is Failing?????

Appreciate any wisdom out there!?!!?!??!

GARY
HAM RADIO Operator since 1964 'W7FSI'
EAGLE CAP 2011 950 CUSTOM BUILT by the great folks at LaGrande Oregon
2012 FORD 350 XLT 6.7L Diesel 4x4 Super Cab with lots of stuff
24 REPLIES 24

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear that it was an easy fix.

Maybe the stem in the valve stem needs to be replaced.

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Aired up the accumulator tank. It was at Zero Pounds pressure. I have no idea where that air went. Last time I checked it... it had the suggested 30 pounds pressure. I failed to think it would be down to zip....Never did that before. BUT that was the problem. I guess I'm the dummy for not checking it first. Why it lost air now I don't know....But next time I'll be on it.

Again thanks folks.
GARY

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
OP says its loosing pressure when the pump is off, but not cycling when the pump is on. Seems to me it could be doing one or the other, not both.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Also, make sure any outside "shower faucets are turned off. If hot and or cold valves open you can get some odd pump behavior. Just another thought.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even without an accumulator, the water heater will act as a small one. It's supposed to have an air gap at the top for thermal expansion. It's quite possible that air is gone too. Turn off the water heater, let it cool. Then let some water out of the "hot" low point drain to take any excess water out.

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
ggadwa wrote:
It does have an accumulator tank. I think I'll check it and air up if needed. I sure would be a happy if the Pump is OK. It never runs when on and just sitting unused.
Gary

Oh so more to the story......

YOU turn pump off
Then when you open a faucet no water but use to be

That is because the accumulator isn't pressurized....if it was it would push water out an open faucet.

Pump not cycling when ON and no-demand..then pump is working and check valve is not leaking

Problem is at accumulator tank

This why it is important to have all the information.
Makes for a better diagnosis, and less guessing.....

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
ggadwa wrote:
It does have an accumulator tank. I think I'll check it and air up if needed. I sure would be a happy if the Pump is OK. It never runs when on and just sitting unused.
Gary

Oh so more to the story......

YOU turn pump off
Then when you open a faucet no water but use to be

That is because the accumulator isn't pressurized....if it was it would push water out an open faucet.

Pump not cycling when ON and no-demand..then pump is working and check valve is not leaking

Problem is at accumulator tank
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
What if the hot water tank is in bypass and the pump is pushing against solid water with no air to compress. That could cause the symptoms. Just thinking ????

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Take images when disassembling ๐Ÿ™‚

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Our pump will ocasionally cycle for a second evey hour or so. Checked for leaks but found all connections dry as a bone.
Prior poster stated easy to check the pressure switch on the pump but be warned,some pumps, like mine buried way up behind the valves in the wet bay. The very reason I have not tore into it....yet.
Keep us posted, great suggestions!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Gary

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
ggadwa wrote:
Thanks all,
No leaks were found anywhere before writing post. The pump doesn't cycle when left turned on. Wife leaves it on and I turn it off. No pressure whatsoever right after closing the sink valves if pump is off. Never used to be this way. I think I'll disassemble, clean out and reinstall. See what that does.

GARY

Check to see if you have an accumulator (very small pressure tank) inline after the pump. If there is one then that would be the reason (lost it's air pressure).

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
ggadwa wrote:
Thanks all,
No leaks were found anywhere before writing post. The pump doesn't cycle when left turned on. Wife leaves it on and I turn it off. No pressure whatsoever right after closing the sink valves if pump is off. Never used to be this way. I think I'll disassemble, clean out and reinstall. See what that does.

GARY

Another possibility is your system previously had air trapped in it that was acting like an accumulator. Basically the air compresses like a spring and keeps the pressure supplied (to a point) with the pump off. With the air gone, you can't compress water so pump off and faucet open means instant pressure loss.

Is your water heater bypassed or on and working normally? Maybe try draining the water heater down a ways. There's normally some air at the top.

If you just crack a faucet, does the pump cycle rapidly? That's a sign of no air and not good.

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all,

GARY