cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater with Electric Heating Option?

neu
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2017 Viking Saga 16SFB camper trailer, but it came without any manuals or instructions (the seller was a regular reseller dealer). I haven't been able to find any specific information online for this particular model and year.

I can see that it operates on gas, but I'm not sure if it also has the option to heat water using electricity. How can I determine this? In tutorial videos, I've noticed that people have switches near the pressure relief valve, but I don't see anything like that on mine. Am I looking in the wrong place? I apologize if this question seems silly to experienced trailer owners. Thank you in advance for your help!

10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the Hot Rod is 400 Watts without Oh heck easy to check Yup 400 watts

What this means is it heats water more slowly than the standard 1200-1500 watt electric element.. But it also means it draws less current (4 instead of 12-12.5 amps) So if you are running on 30 amps less likely of the "Click of darkness" as I call a tripped breaker.

One suggestion I have for folks with 120VAC/propane heaters is Replace teh 1500 watt 120 volt element with a 1500 watt 240 volt element.. At 120 volts that's 375 wwatts so you get teh same reduction in "Click of darkness" when on a 30 amp site. (I did never noticed the slower heating)

The Hott Rod has it's own Thermostat. You set it just a bit "hotter" than the gas thermostat and when you are not using hot.. It keeps things heated.. When you wash hands.. Likey the hott rod will do the job. When you Shower or Wash dishes the propane will kick in and fast recover you.. Or you can just leave the propane off and deal with the slower recovery. (What I did)

Camping World Link
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

neu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a lot everybody
I've learned a lot of new things during the last two days of posting and reading this forum. Awesome place

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
neu,

You can add a rod that fits the drain plug hole. There are 12 volt ones and 120 volt ones.

My water heater is dual power gas and 120 volt. There is a switch inside the RV just beside the sink.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You can always change it out to a gas/electric model with spark ignitor.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The model is SW6P If it had the 120 option it would be SW6P-E. Doug
FYI, Pilot light Water heaters rarely have a 120 option. Pilot light W/H's are the lowest cost option for RV makers. Doug

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
You likely will not find a manual specific to a your trailer as those supplied by the manufacturer are normally general in nature. You should be able to find manuals for the various appliances on line using make and model number.

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
The water heater you have is exactly like mine on my 2000 Lance. It's only a gas unit with manual igniter.. you have to use a lighter to ignite the flame. It is not wired for electric. All the parts for that unit are still available and fairly cheap. Mine still works flawlessly..

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

If not.. Hot Rod (Or HottRod) from any Decent RG store. It Screws into the fitting the anode is currently screwed into.. Its not as hith wattage as the standard heater element but it works very well.

I used to plug my hot rod in when I got to the campground and it saved on propane. Just don't expect one to work miracles.
bumpy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The instruction manual says it has 120 volt connections.
These are GENERALLY on the other side of the water hater (not the side pictured) where the pipes connect.

On that water heater you have a propane system which has everything pictured
And a totaly indpendent electrical system.. Though I'm not sure if that's optional or not..

But somewhere there is a switch to turn it on.. if you have it (need not be anywhere near the water heater) Look on the other side for the wires if they are there.

If not.. Hot Rod (Or HottRod) from any Decent RG store. It Screws into the fitting the anode is currently screwed into.. Its not as hith wattage as the standard heater element but it works very well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Appears to be propane only. Check here:
manual
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand