cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Voltage protector 110V?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not an auto-transformer, just an auto-disconnect when it drops below 90 or rises above 140. Limits are adjustable to >90 or <140 accordingly, i.e. to a narrow-er range if needed. Recovery voltage is also adjusted. Brown-outs can do a number on 110V devices when grid power resumes at 80-90 and stays like this for some time.

There is a plug-in single-receptacle protector on Amazon: $24, 15A, 2200W. 15A @110V is not 2200W, but close.

Or a whole-trailer protector on Aliexpress, I like this idea better: $14 with shipping, 40A. The usual doubt with this source - will it work as it should. Don't see it on Amazon.

Any suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Almot wrote:
A curve-ball question: 1000-1200W PSW inverter with auto transfer switch that transfers when AC drops to adjustable 90-105V, not when AC disappears. Long recovery delay would've been nice, I'd rather keep it on inverter longer than switch on-off repeatedly. Is there such a thing, or at least a 30A switch with these features?

Hi Almot,

There are "load support" inverter chargers. Unfortunately they are not "voltage support". That's how I ended up with an autoformer.

Mine is a Magnum 3012. Perhaps some kind soul with a Victron inverter can check to see if they do "voltage support" rather than "load support".

I can "force" the Magnum to do voltage support--but only if I lower the input amperage a GREAT deal. I don't remember the actual numbers but on a 30 amp supply I seem to remember I could set it to limit the shore power to 8 or 9 amps--which then "forced" voltage support.

The Magnum didn't like being "forced". DAMHIK

Another way to protect the RV is to plug in ONLY the converter, and then plug the RV into the output of the inverter. This is known as double conversion. I used to do it regularly when I had a 2500 watt inverter. One of the locations I would visit had a 15 amp breaker that would trip at 8 amps. So would avoid the trip by using double conversion. This trick doesn't work with the Magnum. It has a large surge when it is first plugged in and that blows the reverse polarity fuses. I guess I could try turning on the inverter first--and then plugging in the converter. I wanted to do that when the Magnum would trip GFI outlets.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Opinion: At $14 it must be a great device. :S

Sure :)...

I like HW30, don't like the price.

Buy quality and you only cry once.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
A curve-ball question: 1000-1200W PSW inverter with auto transfer switch that transfers when AC drops to adjustable 90-105V, not when AC disappears. Long recovery delay would've been nice, I'd rather keep it on inverter longer than switch on-off repeatedly. Is there such a thing, or at least a 30A switch with these features?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Almot wrote:
AllegroD: 90V is the low voltage cut-off, it can be adjusted. You don't want to run AC devices at 90 or lower. Looking to protect the whole rig.

Below 108v is not meeting spec. 91v and you can expect damage, particularly to motors.

I get below 110v and I switch to generator power.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
Opinion: At $14 it must be a great device. :S

Sure :)...

I like HW30, don't like the price.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don, you probably have 30A 110V breaker already, $14 gizmo takes 40A, should work for you - if it will work.

AllegroD: 90V is the low voltage cut-off, it can be adjusted. You don't want to run AC devices at 90 or lower. Looking to protect the whole rig.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
tuna, Check the second link. Opinion: At $14 it must be a great device. :S
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Almot,

Nice find! Thanks.

I do wish it were a 30 amp unit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Questionable devices. I also installed the PI unit and low voltage disconnects are common in many CGs. Even had 160V one time.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Progressive Industries HW-30 is a hard wired 30 amp version of this with several advanced features and a remote display.. Hard wired beats plug in.

Southwire/TRC also makes one that is like the HW-30C I used the 50 amp Southwire version. Very nice.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Power companies today supply power at 120 vac +/- 5%. So you should see anywhere from 114 vac to 126 vac at your outlets if you are receiving good power. Much below 110 vac is low. 110 vac was an old standard that was raised to 120 vac many years ago.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Are you only looking to protect one item or the whole rig? Why as low as 90v?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
In this area you definitely get what you pay for. I would spring for a EMS-HW30C or a EMS-HW50C depending on whether you have a 30 amp or 50 amp RV. It costs more, sure, but the extra protection is worth it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB