cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vinyl flooring cracked. How to fix?

cullivoe
Explorer
Explorer
Over a very cold winter, the vinyl flooring in my ‘07 Surveyor cracked almost all the way across right where my heat register is in the floor. Has this happened to anyone else? How did you fix it, and with that product?
Deb the Dog Show Lady
Trailer known as the "Sheltie Shack"
14 REPLIES 14

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rip that junk up and prep your floor to be smooth. I highly recommend using LVT quality glued down tiles. One gets damaged ya peel it up and replace. I built many Dental clinics and this type of product was used in many of them.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
B.O. Plenty wrote:
See these posts every spring. Big temperature swings cause expansion/contraction of floor and floor coverings. Because they are different materials they move at different rates. Floor covering gets stretched, is brittle from the cold and cracks. They are not glued down. Glue won't hold with these big changes in temp. Easy solution. I've done several this way.

Cut around perimeter of old floor and lift it out to use as a pattern. I usually cut it across under the bathroom door and make a splice there covered with a strip. Lift the metal trim strip under the entry door and slip the new under it. Place the new sheet down after you have cut it to size using the sheet as a pattern. Hold it down around the edges with quarter round. Open beer.

B.O.

Great plan, although sometimes hard to get out in one piece around slides.
Currently replacing carpet and vinyl on main level of our 5er with interlocking vinyl planks. It works great and easy to work with.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Harvard wrote:
cullivoe wrote:
Over a very cold winter, the vinyl flooring in my ‘07 Surveyor cracked almost all the way across right where my heat register is in the floor. Has this happened to anyone else? How did you fix it, and with that product?

During the winter, was this TT parked on 3 points (wheels and tongue jack ONLY) or was it also sitting on corner blocks?

My theory is that there will be no cold weather damage to the flooring if it is parked on 3 points over winter.

It has nothing to do with how the trailer is supported. If your frame bends enough to damage the flooring, you have a whole lot of other damage going on and the flooring is the least of your concerns.

Basically plastics become brittle with age. Components of plastic evaporate over time (new car smell...that's plastics off gassing). At some point, the combination of the flooring shrinking due to cold and increased brittleness reach a point where it can't stretch enough and the flooring splits at a stress point...typically a corner cut such as around a vent.

Not much you can do now except replace with new or live with it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Yep a pretty common occurrence on rigs of that era. The flooring is perimeter glued and with swings in day/night temps the "vinyl" just splits from stem to stern. Only thing I can suggest is complete replacement and glue all of it down. There are also plank vinyl products that are quite nice. You did nothing wrong, this stuff was meant for homes that don't see the extremes of rv's. I think products the last few years is better and fully glued down because the warranty claims were getting out of hand.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
See these posts every spring. Big temperature swings cause expansion/contraction of floor and floor coverings. Because they are different materials they move at different rates. Floor covering gets stretched, is brittle from the cold and cracks. They are not glued down. Glue won't hold with these big changes in temp. Easy solution. I've done several this way.

Cut around perimeter of old floor and lift it out to use as a pattern. I usually cut it across under the bathroom door and make a splice there covered with a strip. Lift the metal trim strip under the entry door and slip the new under it. Place the new sheet down after you have cut it to size using the sheet as a pattern. Hold it down around the edges with quarter round. Open beer.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

cullivoe
Explorer
Explorer
We live in MN, and I got down to -37 degrees this winter for 2 days.
Deb the Dog Show Lady

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
That just means it got colder that winter than it had been previously.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
cullivoe wrote:
It was just sitting on wheels and tongue jack. No corner blocks

Good to know. My incorrect theory was based on our experience when we purchased an used 8 year old TT. The floors were not damaged at time of purchase. We used this unit as a cabin on an acreage and had it up on blocks. The flooring was completely destroyed after our first winter of ownership.

cullivoe
Explorer
Explorer
It was just sitting on wheels and tongue jack. No corner blocks
Deb the Dog Show Lady

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
cullivoe wrote:

During the winter, was this TT parked on 3 points (wheels and tongue jack ONLY) or was it also sitting on corner blocks?

My theory is that there will be no cold weather damage to the flooring if it is parked on 3 points over winter.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think the rug fix works for many, as this is a common issue, although later models seem to have addressed this with improved floor covering.

I have a neighbor who owns an RV business, and this sometimes happens with new models on the lot. The factory sends matching flooring (no charge), and his service people, cut out bad area, replace with new, but add quarter round, to give a finished look with no obvious seams.

You could do the same, using a vinyl flooring that somewhat matches the left over vinyl under cupboards, etc.

Jerry

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Folks are right. Replacement with like kind is bound for failure. We secured the seam and replaced with glue down carpet squares. They are simple to cut and fit. They can easily be swept with a broom. Others use laminate. It does add weight tho.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A property of vinyl flooring is that it shrinks and expands with temp. swings and cold winters often cause tears. Rectangular openings in a floor create a high stress point in the corners and are often where tears occur. You'd think RV manufacturers could do a better job. A round opening would be better.

You could try some vinyl flooring seam sealer but it will more than likely happen again over another cold winter. Depending on where the damage is and how much, sometimes you can cut a patch piece from under a dinette seat, under-bed storage, base cabinet, etc. and use the seam sealer. Do not glue the sheet vinyl to the subfloor.

Otherwise, it may be time for some nice laminate flooring as long as you follow the precautions for expansion/shrinkage. Or as beemerphile suggests, just toss a rug on the floor (cut opening for register).

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately your vinyl flooring is ruined and the only real fix is replacement, but there are cheaper alternatives;

You could use vinyl flooring adhesive under the edges to glue it down. If you can tolerate the cosmetic damage it is the simplest fix.

Another solution is to throw a rug over the damage, forget about it and go camping.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900