cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrading audio system from Jensen to Bose?

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
Any comments welcomed regarding improving the OEM Jensen to a better quality audio system?
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time
9 REPLIES 9

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
If I were in your position, I would replace the speakers with a decent quality speaker like JBL or whatever your taste prefers. And then replace that headunit with something that will give you some power. (It only puts out 6 watts per channel.) I would use a nice Kenwood or Pioneer unit. Yes I know the mounting holes are not the same, but for a small price you can either built an adapter or have someone else build it. Because your existing unit has the ability to direct music to 4 different sets of speakers (if I read the specs right), I would install a switch that would allow you to control which speakers are receiving music.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first thing I would do is replace the speakers. I did on a previous TT and found the OEM ones were archaic design, like you'd find in a 40s or 50's automobile. Installed some slightly larger dia. 2-way speakers and got a reasonable improvement. Check speaker specs closely before buying. I think a sub-woofer would be a nice thing to have.

Jensen doesn't give very good specs on the amp and just tells you the frequency range but not the bandwidth (for ex., +/- 6 dB, 20-20KHz)). I suspect it can't be all that good if they don't tell you the bandwidth.

I'd love to replace our Jensen too (same one) but it's not a simple re&re upgrade in the same opening. I don't like the component video output and would like to have HDMI but not sure if there's an easy way to get something to fit somewhere.

It also bugs me that the radio does not have a station scan feature.

I keep hoping somebody will post a great replacement unit that will fit in the same Jensen opening.

Ours never freezes and is never affected by switching lights. Something has to be wrong, and maybe the unit itself. Good excuse to upgrade.

Jerry01
Explorer
Explorer
GON2SKI wrote:
Current unit is a Jensen AWM965โ€ฆโ€ฆ..yes I'm seeking a better sound system, dvd functions but freezes often during movies, when you put on a porch lightโ€ฆyou loose audio? Maybe I have wiring problems.

I would say that something is definitely not right. Check your connections on the back of your stereo. If you are looking to change out your stereo, the Furion we put in is working pretty good. We bought the DV1200. Here is the link. Jerry.
http://furrion.com/us/audio-visual/stereo-units/dv1000-rv-series/wall-mount-dvd-stereo-unit-with-bluetooth-technology-and-hdmi.html
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT CC/SB D/A 2wd
EFI Live, Line-x, XM radio, Bilstein 5100's, MBRP cat back, BFG 285/70/17 A/T
2013 Forest River Cardinal 3030RS.
Prodigy controller.
Honda 2000 gen.
B&W Companion Slider.

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
Current unit is a Jensen AWM965โ€ฆโ€ฆ..yes I'm seeking a better sound system, dvd functions but freezes often during movies, when you put on a porch lightโ€ฆyou loose audio? Maybe I have wiring problems.
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

Jerry01
Explorer
Explorer
GON2SKI wrote:
Any comments welcomed regarding improving the OEM Jensen to a better quality audio system?

We swapped out our Jensen with a Furion unit. The biggest reason for us was Bluetooth. The sound isn't a whole lot different. Are you looking for better sound? If so, just changing the speakers out will make the biggest difference. Which Jensen model do you have? Jerry.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT CC/SB D/A 2wd
EFI Live, Line-x, XM radio, Bilstein 5100's, MBRP cat back, BFG 285/70/17 A/T
2013 Forest River Cardinal 3030RS.
Prodigy controller.
Honda 2000 gen.
B&W Companion Slider.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Do it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
not too sure that BOSE would be an upgrade but that's a different discussion. When mine dies I'm going to upgrade using car audio gear like Pioneer or Alpine. It's already 12v so easier to install IMO. I have no idea if BOSE makes car audio stuff.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
GON2SKI wrote:
In a previous Jayco that had the Jensen system I upgraded the OEM speakers to a set of Polk Audio speakers. It made a big difference. I traded it off before I got around to changing the radio head.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
A handheld transistor radio would be an upgrade to a Jensen

Anything you do will enhance your listen pleasure.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31