Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Troubleshooting Propane Problem

strollingbones
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

I have a propane leak that I'm trying to get my arms around. My local RV repair/dealership is overbooked with sales and repairs during covid, and they can't get to me in a timely manner.

The leak is occuring between the propane tank and the regulator. There is an aftermarket fitting (installed by a previous owner) there called an "oil drip leg." It's purpose is capture impurities in the propane before it reaches the regulator. These gizmos are not common on RVs.

I think I have narrowed the problem down to these scenarios:

1) It's full.
2) It was attached with pipe dope rather than yellow teflon tape
3) Both of these things at once

So here are my questions:

1) Can I just remove this %$#@! thing altogether? Most motorhomes seem to get along fine without it
2) If I remove this thing, can I clean it out and reattach it? Or does it have to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
13 REPLIES 13

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
A fellow camper was ready to replace his fridge when it stopped working. When he disconnected the propane line oil ran out. Fix the leak and replace it. It's good insurance.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok I goofed with my last response so it went to a wrong thread. or at least it appears that happened.

Looks like a brass to steel coupling. the two metals have different coefficients of expansion as they get hot/cold. so the connection can fail under pressure.

I'd replace the steel parts with brass and the proper tape.. Precise length is not important only the diamater and thread.

Second that looks to be a "Home brew" Fix for a problem that likely did not exist. Some of the Home brew things I've seen seriously scare me.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gas certified pipe dope is better than gas certified tape. But, remove it. I like Permatex.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
When you have it apart take a close at the threads and see if they are in good shape.

strollingbones
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your advice!

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be that you have a diesel coach with a propane generator? If so, leave that oil drip leg in the system to keep oil out of you liquid fed propene regulator on the generator.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
To settle the nays and yeas.
Remove it, if it is full of oil clean and replace, if no oil leave it off.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, there you have it. 3 nays and 2 yeas. Don't you love internet advice?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It may have been put on there because the prior owner had a problem with junk in the propane. Remove it, clean it, and reinstall it with the correct tape.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would drain it and reinstall with new tape. They are not common in RV's but there are posts on here complaining about propane not getting to an appliance and a black sticky substance in the line.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not needed on an RV, I would just remove it.
They are used mainly in home installations where the appliance (furnace, water heater) has a lot more propane consumption than in an RV.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've only owned a dozen or so RV's. Never have I seen a VLP on one.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
remove it
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman