cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trac bars

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
After looking under my MH, it's looks almost impossible to add a trac bar. I only have a few inches between the gas tank and the rear pumpkin. Has there ever been a MH that a trac bar can't be added to. With the short wheelbase I really need one.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.
10 REPLIES 10

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
Solo:
Can you enlighten the rest of us on your comment? Sounds like an interesting project.

Not difficult at all with reasonable fabrication skills and equipment. Perhaps my wife might debate my shop as having "reasonable" tools but, still not that difficult.

I used the Blue-Ox "trac" bar as a guide when I built mine for the E450 chassis that we had at the time. Blue-Ox has an extensive online list of their products Blue Ox Trac Bars. I specifically used the installation instructions for my Ford and was easily able to source the parts needed and fabricate the bar by referencing their excellent exploded diagrams. On the E450, I made the brackets identical to what was was shown in their installation instructions-one side attaches to the frame and the other to the lower shock mount below the axle. The final product fit into a very tight area behind the axle and just in front of the fuel tank. I suspect I had less than 3" to work with front to rear. My panhard bar worked marvelous.

If you decide to to tackle something like this, educate yourself on how a panhard bar (trac bar) provides axle location. Not too difficult with so much online now. Simply search for "build your own panhard bar" and see if this is something you want to try.

Good luck with your project!
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at Oemy's website. simple enough to do, but fitment may be an issue.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Solo:
Can you enlighten the rest of us on your comment? Sounds like an interesting project.

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Brian in Michigan wrote:
After looking under my MH, it's looks almost impossible to add a trac bar. I only have a few inches between the gas tank and the rear pumpkin. Has there ever been a MH that a trac bar can't be added to. With the short wheelbase I really need one.

By looking at your signature, it appears as though you may like to tinker some on your MH? Have you considered designing and building your own panhard bar? I've built many over the years for my racing habit and also for my last MH that went into a very tight area.

Not very difficult if you understand the geometry of your suspension and do a bit of research. Of course, you need access to some essential fab equipment but, still, a doable situation perhaps.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
I added a Henderson Trac Bar to my F53 chassis

http://www.hendersonslineup.com/supersteer-products
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b

Joe_Way
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect a TRAILER ANTI-SWAY CONTROL would help more.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Brian in Michigan wrote:
I have a 1-1/4" sway bar on the rear. The bushings are tight. I have a short wheel base, and the rear axle is located close to the center of the MH. When I pull my flatbed trailer it really is the tail wagging the dog.

A track bar/panhard rod really helps in this situation.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1-1/4" sway bar on the rear. The bushings are tight. I have a short wheel base, and the rear axle is located close to the center of the MH. When I pull my flatbed trailer it really is the tail wagging the dog.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of different brands and models of trac bars out there for the P32 chassis utilizing different mounting points and systems, so perhaps one will fit into the limited space you have. I think I have seem at least one that mounts to the diff cover bolts on one end. An idea I did not like when I saw it, but one that may solve your issue. (I can't remember which brand that was now)

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Sway bar? A sway bar, or more correctly anti-sway bar, is supposed to lessen the body roll when going around curves or when the wind blows.

A track bar, or panhard rod, is to keep the axle centered from side to side.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer