cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

mfifield01
Explorer
Explorer
gunterm wrote:
Hey folks! Just got my module upgraded by Supergen, so they're still doing it. They have however changed addresses so make sure you're sending it the right place.

Another question, I just bought a bigger inverter since my new RV has a 15k A/C and the 2000W won't start this one. Was wondering if the bigger ones will parallel with the 2000W model, they use different models so I'm thinking no. Also the 2800W bigger unit uses only 2 wires for paralell instead of 2 wires plus that little control plug.
Did you get the Champion 2800/3100w generator? If so, then you can sell the 2000w. The bigger generator will run the 15k AC.
TT - 2015 Keystone Passport 2810BH

TV - 2013 RAM Lone Star Crew 6'4" 1500 5.7L Hemi 8-Speed (3.92) 4x4 with Factory Air Suspension

gunterm
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks! Just got my module upgraded by Supergen, so they're still doing it. They have however changed addresses so make sure you're sending it the right place.

Another question, I just bought a bigger inverter since my new RV has a 15k A/C and the 2000W won't start this one. Was wondering if the bigger ones will parallel with the 2000W model, they use different models so I'm thinking no. Also the 2800W bigger unit uses only 2 wires for paralell instead of 2 wires plus that little control plug.

MrWizard
very close description
except they use 'HIGH' voltage DC , NOT low voltage DC
which means lighter wiring in the alternator and the whole system
it also means a heavy transformer is not needed to boost the voltage up

efficiency is the KEY
small cylinder engine
very efficient fuel use at low loads, topping up batteries, watching TV etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

-_dwh_-
Explorer
Explorer
Rygar wrote:
Okay, now that raises another question. What's the difference between a generator and an inverter?

Sorry, but the two answers already provided to this question were both a little off.

An alternator produces alternating current.

In a "syncronous generator", the AC from the alternator is regulated at high voltage, and the frequency is controlled by governing the rpm of the coupled engine/alternator. This high voltage AC is fed directly to the generator's receptacles.

In an "inverter generator", the AC from the alternator is regulated at low voltage, then fed through a rectifier to produce low voltage DC. That low voltage DC is then fed through an inverter which produces high voltage AC.

That's the difference. Think of an inverter generator as an automotive electrical system plus an inverter, but without the battery. This is why some inverter generators also have a 12v DC receptacle - they just tap the low voktage DC before it goes into the inverter.

It's inefficient to go from AC to DC and then back to AC, but by doing it this way, the frequency of the AC is decoupled from the rpm of the engine/alternator. This allows the throttle to be be controlled by a stepper motor instead of a governor, and the rpm can be reduced when there is less load, saving fuel.

Because of the inefficiency of the AC-DC-AC conversion, syncronous generators are slightly more efficient than inverter generators at full load (and a lot cheaper to build). What makes the inverter generator even worth the bother and expense, is the fact that most portable generators almost never operate at full load.

mdconvert
Explorer
Explorer
Many times when RVers discuss inverters eventually the question that is asked is "will it run the a/c"? The answers to this question varies quite a bit depending who you talk to.

One thing to consider is what else is pulling current from the generator. A big energy hog may be the refrigerator.

To help your inverter run the a/c, you may want to consider changing the mode of power to the refrigerator from a/c, or auto (where it switches from propane to a/c if a/c is available), to propane only.

MrWizard
yep..high voltage DC multi-phase alternator
the inverter electronics converter the HV Dc to 120vac

this lets the engine run slower for light loads, and faster for heavy loads
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, that really helps!
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy

RTompkins3
Explorer
Explorer
Rygar wrote:
Okay, now that raises another question. What's the difference between a generator and an inverter?

Basically, the difference between a "generator" and and "inverter generator" is in the way they give you the AC.
The "generator" directly creates the AC voltage and frequency. The frequency is based on the rpm's of the generator, and the voltage is produced directly from the generator. The motor runs at a constant speed. The "inverter" creates a dc voltage from the actual generator that is fed into an inverter that converts it to AC at a specified voltage. Think of it as taking a battery powered inverter and hooking it up to an automotive generator.

And yes, this is a very simplistic explanation.
Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy

RangerEZ
Explorer
Explorer
I am a longtime follower of this thread and a big fan of the little Champions, but finally sold mine and got the bigger 3100 inverter when I moved to a fiver.

Rygar, FYI, the 3100 inverter is currently $570 at Costco, after the $100 manufacturer rebate. That's a heck of a deal and it runs the newer 15k AC units well. I got mine from Supergen last Fall for even less than that. Looks like they're $524 at Supergen now for a refurb. Another option to consider.
GMC 2500 HD Duramax
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
2015 Wildcat Trail Limited & 2015 Brute Force 300

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
Have not tried this, especially watch the test results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soP0uZFd0nQ&t=1835s

Build your own for $169.00.
https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters/products/easystart-366-low-cost-board-only?variant=29181710923
https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters/products/start-capacitors-for-easystart-366?variant=29181853323

- Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

gunterm
Explorer
Explorer
KrowNB wrote:
gunterm wrote:
Oddly enough, I am able to run my 13.5k Coleman-Mach roof air with just one 2000W Champion model with Econ off.

Can you run it on all settings/speeds or just on low ones?

I didn't want to push my luck so just low cool. It really chugs for a sec when you flip the A/C on.

I couldn't believe it actually worked! Based on what I'd read here it sounded difficult in some cases to run the A/C with even two in parallel much less just one unit. Everyone here must have 15k power hogs.

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
gunterm wrote:
Oddly enough, I am able to run my 13.5k Coleman-Mach roof air with just one 2000W Champion model with Econ off.

Can you run it on all settings/speeds or just on low ones?

gunterm
Explorer
Explorer