cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

Tony_F_
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, and new to searching for a generator. Until recently I had set my mind on twin 2kw Hondas, but the $$ was just too hard to part with. I saw the ad in the latest Costco coupon book a few days ago and was intrigued by the remote start 3kw Champion, so I started doing some research.

What I learned was very surprising to me. First, this is not a "Chinese" product in the strictest sense. This is an America owned company, with American engineering and support. The products are made in their own factory in China. This differs from typical Chinese products that are made by Chinese owned companies, or by American companies who contract with a Chinese factory to build their products.

Champion has full control of every step. The fact that they are using Chinese labor is a non issue.

Regarding Champion's track record, they've been making products for about 7 years now and - here's the interesting part - have NEVER had a recall. Never. That is a significant statement when you consider the fast pace new products are being introduced. Honda and Yamaha cannot make that same claim.

Finally, I own 4 Toyota vehicles. From 1997 to 2007, and like them all. However, my next vehicle will likely be a Hyundai. Why? Because they now have the fewer failures per thousand than any other brand in the world. In other words, they have surpassed Toyota and Honda for quality in one of the most indicative quality measurements there are. As a very loyal and long term Toyota customer, I am willing to look beyond my prejudices in order to find the best products for the money. The same goes for my generator purchase. Although I have little generator experience, I have been doing a lot of reading and talking to fellow campers. There are thousands of well informed people out there saying the same great things about Champion. I hope I've drawn a clear parallel there.

I'm not trying to bag on anyone or any product, but I think it would behoove anyone interested in an inverter generator to give this new product a good look.

Besides, the stacking, and the semi-integrated parallel kit is way cool.

Tony

Dixonmatco
Explorer
Explorer
greenrvgreen wrote:
Or, if Champion really intends to sell their product at the $749 price point, that's all the proof I need that inverter gennies are not a rational purchase for camping.

HUH????????

Inverter generators are the only rational purchase for camping if your main purpose for having a generator is charging batteries with occasional microwave usage, or similar higher current appliances.

Why? The inverter generator has an Eco mode that only runs the engine as fast as is necessary for current demand, while still putting out clean sine wave current. This results in a significant savings in fuel as well as a serious reduction in noise. The NON inverter generators have to run constantly at high speed to produce 60 cycle line voltage. Noisy and gas guzzleing.

My Honda gets almost 10 hours on 1 gal of gas. What are the Champions specs?? Not so Green....
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Komfort Trailblazer T23S
Honda EU2000I

5erTrailerTrash
Explorer
Explorer
curt12914 wrote:
My point is (and has always been) that until the Champion's are out a few more years and we are pretty sure they will still be in business, they are not really a proven product. My only reason for buying one would be to save a lot of money. If I'm going to save only a little money, I may as well buy Honda or Yamaha and know what to expect.

I agree with your logic. I think the Champion open frame gens have pretty well proven their worth, but the inverter adds a new level of complexity. However, it might turn out to be enough less expensive to warrant buying it and taking the chance (if I were buying a generator, which I'm not). In general, I think competition is healthy and I hope the new entry into the inverter generator field will prove to be good for consumers.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
From this thread, all eyes will be waiting the Champion 73531i to hit the market. I notice the Sand Point ID. online seller states pre- order now. Hope the additional engineering brings us the first ES/RC 2000w Inverter, adding only maybe 10/15 lbs to the listed 49lbs. That should be a Champion! Who will be the first genny pig? Do we have a beta tester maybe?

class_A_wannabe
Explorer
Explorer
Oh well, was going to wait for the new 2000, but I need something for the summer. Just went with the "ole standby" 3000/3500 from Costco.com for $379 delivered. I figure I'll just pick a couple of the new ones up down the road when they get the bugs worked out for rving & then use the one I bought today around the house & on the job. Remote start's kinda nice havin' too. Boondockin' here we come!

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
The Champion 2,000 watt inverter is on hold. CPE is not completely satisfied with some issues pertaining to the quality of the beta test generators and is now making some engineering changes.

There will ba a 1,000 watt inverter model released in Canada only. It will have a Champion label but is built by Kipor.
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

blkfe
Explorer
Explorer
If the price is right, there is a Champ inverter genset in my near future.
Brad

MrWizard
IMO if CPE has put as much engineering and build quality into the inverter models as they have the open frame synchronous generators, then the inverter models will also be good units.

I really want to see one in action
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get me wrong. If the Champion's had been popular several years ago when I bought my twins, I would probably own a Champion and put about $1400 in my pocket (or would have spent it on something else).

My point is (and has always been) that until the Champion's are out a few more years and we are pretty sure they will still be in business, they are not really a proven product. My only reason for buying one would be to save a lot of money. If I'm going to save only a little money, I may as well buy Honda or Yamaha and know what to expect.

If they (Champion) are still in business in another 5 years or so, and the first generators they sold are still running with parts available, then I will say they are a good product. I am just afraid that, because of their price, they probably don't have very high standards for materials or workmanship (quality) as the proven generators. I hope I end up being wrong, but I doubt the Champions will have anywhere the longevity of Honda or Yamaha
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Curt's always been fair-minded about Champion gennies so I hope he'll accept this FWIW. The one time I called Champion tech support with an issue (I was at a CG), the tech spent an hour on the phone guiding me through any likely on-site fixes. When I gave up on all that, he called the nearest Kragen auto, 40 minutes away, and I popped over there and did a free exchange, and 90 minutes later I was back in action.

I call that great tech support. Until Curt's story I hadn't heard anything nearly as good about Honda tech support. And I have started hearing less-amazing stories about Champion tech suppport, so maybe the tables are turning.

There is no doubt that the Honda is a high-quality generator, but I laugh at the idea that the price reflects the costs, or that you "get what you pay for". If a high-quality manufacturer like Champion is entering the market, that competition may finally lower the street price of the Honda, something that the Yamaha never accomplished. Or, if Champion really intends to sell their product at the $749 price point, that's all the proof I need that inverter gennies are not a rational purchase for camping.

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
IMO - Champion customer service is available "nationwide" and on a par with anything offered by the local Yamaha & Honda dealers (who really prefer to deal with things "other than" generators!)

I agree with a lot of your post, but I can't come close to agreeing with you about parts and service.

I had trouble with one of my EU2000i generators at the Richmond NASCAR race a few years ago. I was 700 mles from home. I went to a local Honda dealer who changed the parts I needed (carb spacer and gasket). I was back at the "campground" 2 hours later with my generator repaired at no charge (still under warranty).

First of all I'm not sure if I could find a Champion dealer and I doubt anyone that sells them stocks parts.

The 3500 Champion may be an inexpensive alternative for a generator, but you really can't copare them to a Honda or Yamaha inverter generator. I stand by my statement that the only way I would buy a Chinese generator is if I could save a lot of money. Honda and Yamaha have been around for a long time and I expect they will be around for a long time. I'm not so sure about Champion, Magna, Kipor, Boily, etc.

I would hate to spend a significant amount of money on a generator to find them out of business in a couple years, with no parts available.
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Dixonmatco
Explorer
Explorer
JC, With all due respect, the Champions that you list at really low prices are NOT Inverter generators. There is a major
difference. Perhaps that is why the Champion 2000 W Inverter generator is not really much cheaper than the Honda EU2000I ??

Personally I have owned many generators over the years of various types and power levels. I would not trade my Little Honda EU2000I for five Champions. (or any other Non-inverter generator) For me fuel cost alone pays the difference in a couple of years of use.

Not to mention the great difference in "Annoying Clatter"
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Komfort Trailblazer T23S
Honda EU2000I

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
curt12914 wrote:
Dixonmatco wrote:
The Honda EU2000I is readily available for $850 with no sales tax and free shipping.. Unless the Champion is available for less than $500 out the door, I would still go with the Honda.

Which brings home the point.. The reason an Inverter generator costs more is because of the fact that it is an generator with an internal INVERTER..Simply costs more to build.

But, if the new competition brings down the price of the Honda and Yamaha units, so much the better..

I agree 100%.

IMHO, the only reason I would consider something other than a proven product like a Honda or Yamaha would be to save substantial $$$. Maybe in a few years, these Chinese generators will end up proving themselves, but right now they haven't.

I'm not sold on most Chinese products having any advantage over any others other than price. I believe (in most cases anyway), the inexpensive price comes by sacrificing quality, much the way most Japanese products were when I was a kid (a long time ago!).

Maybe in years to come the Chinese quality will get better, like the Japanese built products did, but as the Japanese products got better, the price increased.

Years ago (1959) I worked in a retail store. The small Japanese Transistor Radios were the hot item.
Quality (then vs now)?
I still have one kicking around (NEC - uses a 9v batt) - slightly larger than a deck of cards. Still works just fine for what it is.

The Chinese are quite capable of building quality "anything" - right now! They manufacture to the quality desired (and paid for)!
Many/most Japanese products are manufactured in China - most recently including (Holy Moly!) some Honda & Yam products.

~
As indicated on the Chinese Gensets Thread - Costco is NOW selling the Champion #45638 3000/3500 gen electric start with remote & wheel kit (CARB & EPA certified) for $479. (item #525039 on their web site).

However, another poster has indicated he has received the latest Costco coupon mailer - (haven't seen one yet) - which advertises it for $379. (both prices are shipping *included*).

Maybe those Yam & Honda prices *will* drop! :@

BTW - I have both Japanese & Chinese products (actually "several", LOL!) Honda 1000is, Yam 2400is, Champ 46540. All doing fine, thanks!
However - if the Champ had been available first - wouldn't have the others! (Could have had *4* Champions for the price of the *one* Yam)

IMO - Champion customer service is available "nationwide" and on a par with anything offered by the local Yamaha & Honda dealers (who really prefer to deal with things "other than" generators!)

~

JC

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
Dixonmatco wrote:
The Honda EU2000I is readily available for $850 with no sales tax and free shipping.. Unless the Champion is available for less than $500 out the door, I would still go with the Honda.

Which brings home the point.. The reason an Inverter generator costs more is because of the fact that it is an generator with an internal INVERTER..Simply costs more to build.

But, if the new competition brings down the price of the Honda and Yamaha units, so much the better..

I agree 100%.

IMHO, the only reason I would consider something other than a proven product like a Honda or Yamaha would be to save substantial $$$. Maybe in a few years, these Chinese generators will end up proving themselves, but right now they haven't.

I'm not sold on most Chinese products having any advantage over any others other than price. I believe (in most cases anyway), the inexpensive price comes by sacrificing quality, much the way most Japanese products were when I was a kid (a long time ago!).

Maybe in years to come the Chinese quality will get better, like the Japanese built products did, but as the Japanese products got better, the price increased.

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the honda has a 3 year warranty, and a really good track record, so I agree. we'll have to wait and see.
2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540