Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The mini splits are coming,

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

This would make solar powered air conditioning a lot easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmOkQerIITk Mini Split 460 watts maximum.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
13 REPLIES 13

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
I am putting one into a small addition I just put on my home, 224 sq. ft. but it is not hooked up yet. 9000 btu unit with a 13 seer. We shall see how well it does.

thats a pretty crappy unit to be honest, 13 seer at 9k? must have been a cheap unit

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I am putting one into a small addition I just put on my home, 224 sq. ft. but it is not hooked up yet. 9000 btu unit with a 13 seer. We shall see how well it does.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just go for a rooftop unit with the SEER of the mini split. Current rooftop units are way behind home S&B systems in terms of SER. a typical rooftop 13.5K BTU unit has a SEER of about 10. (BTU out/watts in).

A SEER 20 similar to a mini split would drop the power by 2x, down to about 700watts, along with a decent LRA spec of 20A or so and bingo, easy to run the AC from a 2000W inverter generator with power to spare, easy to start with a 1000VAish inverter, ability to run for a reasonable amount of time from a reasonable sized battery bank and bigger rooftop or portable solar system.

I always thought SEER rating was kinda goofy. A resistance heating element has a SEER of 3.5. IMHO a better rating would be BTUout/BTU in. Then a resistance heating element would have a SEER of 1, a SEER of 3 would be 3BTU out for every BTUin. A better measure of unit efficiency.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi timmac,

You would need one compressor and 3 evaporators.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
How many BTUs?

9000 BTU's as to the link in the video, I would need 3 for my 33 foot motorhome and a lot of batteries to go solar A/C..

I will stick with my 2 roof tops for now...

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Inverter minisplits have been in use in Mexico for some years now. We have three in the house. Funny though, the cost in the U.S. is almost three times as much.

I also want to get rid of that boat anchor on my roof and have a decent cooling system in the travel trailer.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
A more practical way would be for the current manufacturers to make an inverter unit similar to a typical rooftop. Yes it would cost more but way more efficient.
RVing since 1995.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Before you get all excited about installing one on your own. I have 3 Daikin mini splits in my house that I self installed. If I had room for the evaporator (inside unit) in my little Toyota I would install one in a heartbeat.

However the main reason mini splits fail is due to improper installation. The new 410A run at up to 700 psi and need to be put in right. Not rocket science but proper installation is a must! I have hundreds of dollars invested in AC tools in order to do proper installations.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How many BTUs?
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I am installing two in my rig.

I have reservations as to how well it will play running from my solar. No doubt I will manage some run time without the generator but how much remains to be seen.

I have 1800 watts of solar panels and a 24v - 400a/h battery bank.

I have seen a handful of folks install them with good success. There is some good discussion over on www.skoolie.net
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
I've thought for a long time that mini split systems would work well in an RV. Lightweight, quiet and reasonable price. And no holes in the roof!