cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The fantastic vent fan in the bedroom has a problem.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Montana 2014 3100RL 5th wheel. The fantastic vent fan in the bedroom has a problem. The motor that closes and opening the dome continues to run whether in automatic or manual or off mode. It runs in the direction to close the dome. Manually I can open and close the vent dome, but the motor continues to run even when in manual mode. Tomorrow, my son will get on the roof and see if there is something wrong with the dome switch. I’m too old to get on the roof. I tried calling fantastic vent service but they were closed for the day.

Any troubleshooting or other suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
6 REPLIES 6

MrWizard
If you have a speeding iron, you can use it for diy plastic welding and melt the tabs and secure the lift motor, you can use zip Ty's as plastic welding rod material
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you found it.. I don't like glue when I can use bolts (But since my FF was 100% manual I don't know if you can bolt it down)

Alas I have done a lot of things like that however.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I think I have found the problem. When the dome is 90 to 95% close the automatic versus manual crank pops out about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch from the automatic position to the manual position. The dome stopped moving in the motor continues to run. If I push the crank fully up into the automatic position the dome closes and the motor stops

I do not know if the motor splines are stripped or not.I need to do some more experimenting to see what causes this problem. But as of now I have a solution to the problem

Update: I do not think (?) the splines are stripped. I think the lift motor has broken free from the white plastic housing that holds it. Only two small plastic tabs that were melted in place to hold the motor. I have ordered a new motor from Amazon. AND I have attempted to glue the lift motor back into the white plastic housings. This way I will have a backup.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the small motor that opens/closes the lid stops itself based on current draw. I would remove the crank handle and inspect the splines and gear box. It may also be the control board,
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
There should be a mechanical end switch that engages when the dome is closed. I had a corrosion problem there once, but on a less sophisticated Fantastic Fan model.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a hunch something is on the rain sensor.. Like a bird dropping.. or something both conductive and sticky (Tree Sap?) Option 2 is a short on the sensor lead. Option 3 is a bad control board. Option 4 is a stuck relay on the sensor board.

Oh and if there is an OPEN/Close switch.. that's about the list I think.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times