cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tabletop LPG Barbecue Grilles Anything To Be Wary About?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Is the "stainless" steel construction actually rust proof? I've not seen data like 304, 18-8, 18-10.

Regulator works at 11" water column?

Can they tolerate rain?

Good temperature regulation? Like when cooking a whole chicken?

I suppose duck is off the menu? Tons of fat and a 4 alarm fire?

Summer is here with 90 degree high humidity. Kitchen cooking is undesirable.

I am not in an area with mesquite, oak, or guisache an acacia tree.

And maintenance? Main burner cleaning? Is it better to remove chicken fat before cooking? With wood, the fat pulled right off after cooking.

I'm hoping to get the model from Costco.
23 REPLIES 23

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Mexican pork is superb. Boneless chops for $1.48 lb. Smoked $1.92

Chicken is neh as BLEH as Foster farms. Our local nemesis is trademarked Bachoco.

Dare I try a whole duck? Light off one burner set it on low nut keep Donald to the unlit side? Close the lid?

Mรฉxico is the land of volcanoes but finding a pumice brick is daunting. Being the heavy grille is not plated one would seem inclined to use a brick.

I seemed to never have owned a good set of RV grade barbecue tools.

Then there is the issue of using a wireless meat thermometer. RV grade of course..

Never used a stone on any grill (cast iron) I just fire up on high for ten minutes then wire brush the ash and wipe down with a towel. Works for my in the USA.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mexican pork is superb. Boneless chops for $1.48 lb. Smoked $1.92

Chicken is neh as BLEH as Foster farms. Our local nemesis is trademarked Bachoco.

Dare I try a whole duck? Light off one burner set it on low nut keep Donald to the unlit side? Close the lid?

Mรฉxico is the land of volcanoes but finding a pumice brick is daunting. Being the heavy grille is not plated one would seem inclined to use a brick.

I seemed to never have owned a good set of RV grade barbecue tools.

Then there is the issue of using a wireless meat thermometer. RV grade of course..

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Normally beef in Mexico has GOODYEAR branded into it. This stuff is/was top grade USDA PRIME grade. Ruth's Criss grade.

The manager at Costco said a new price is coming with the grille re order.

Gasoline $1.24 gallon ut 15 cents higher for diesel.

The government declared beer as non-essential. Breweries closed. Smuggling across border at a 200% to 400% premium.

Ironically, in PA, the bars and "State Stores" (State doesn't trust private stores to sell liquor or spirits as in they want to keep all the profits) were closed.. But the Independent Beer "Distributors" were deemed essential and stayed open (Beer Distributors are bulk sellers of cases of brew and kegs but do not sell hard liquor or wine)! Can't buy a case of brew at a bar, they can sell only a six pack! Yeah, ironic..

Around here, can't find pork, chicken or ground beef, lots of steak though since it is twice the price per lb and folks are not buying expensive meats now days..

Bunch of meat packing plants have been taken out of service due to the virus making it's rounds in the plants.. Couldn't pay me enough to work in those places the way they pack the workers in shoulder to shoulder.

My hats off to the front line folks (I am working but fortunately as a support role behind the scenes in high tech medical devices)..

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Weber Qs are great. Mine has been going strong for 12 years.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Normally beef in Mexico has GOODYEAR branded into it. This stuff is/was top grade USDA PRIME grade. Ruth's Criss grade.

The manager at Costco said a new price is coming with the grille re order.

Gasoline $1.24 gallon ut 15 cents higher for diesel.

The government declared beer as non-essential. Breweries closed. Smuggling across border at a 200% to 400% premium.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
For worse or worser I had to settle for a Costco grille. Walmart wanted $200+ dollars for a lesser unit. I can wait until the 12th of never but at $8.00 lb the filet migรฑon could not wait. This was cut with a fork lean. I have never had better. Have no idea what it costs in the US. New York steak cost $4.10 pound. Every bit as USA Costco meat.
Wow! This morning at local butcher shop filet was $20.00 lb.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Had the Weber baby Q for going on 20 years. Replace the burner every 3 years and never had a problem. I converted it by removing the regulator so I can hook to trailer LP. Aluminum doesn't rust either. I use it just about every day when we camp or stay at our RV park for the winter.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is no such thing as truly stainless steel and that goes multiple if the temps hit 500+ degrees.

One caution I will give (Applies to some coleman models like my table SIDE (not top) Road trip) is how much heat they produce. Road trip's are, in my not very humble opinion, a tad anemic in the BTU department.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Down here very little choice
Electric
Gas
Carbรณn but not presnado.

Means impressed twigs and chunks of charcoal. Easy to light the hotter than. Hell for maybe 15 minutes then a mass die out. Kingsford is unknown. In Michoacan I have large stack of guisache. Big fire, then a die down with bricks and metal heated. Forearm thick branches to maintain temp feeding a bit at a time.

Shovel and bucket to take ashes. Here in a city I have none of that luxury.

I will toss you a different solution..

How about a propane upright smoker?

$160 HERE

Basically works just like an oven, can be used with or without adding wood smoke, but you can add in wood chips or use an "A-maz-n" pellet accessory for added smoke flavor using foodsafe smoker pellets (no glues or artificial binders)..

They make several tubes which can lay on a heavy smoke..

Or their "Maze"..

The upright smokers might be the ticket for cooking duck they typically have 4 shelves, bottom shelf you can put a disposable aluminum pan to catch the grease and you can use the other shelves for your meat.

I have an electric Masterbuilt and love it, use it for smoked pork ribs, pork loin (makes a nice lean pulled pork), pork shoulder (traditional pulled pork), smoked chicken (love using leg quarters).

The electric version also has insulation which helps save energy and for me allows for usage in colder weather, not sure about gas fired though.

Also have done what is known as the "mailbox mod" which is an external chamber for the smoke generator (tube or maze) typically made from a mailbox and is connected via 3" flexible pipe. This allows the smoke to mellow for a less harsh smoke taste. Mailbox mod also allows me to do some cold smoking like cheese, double smoked bacon, double smoked ham.

The downside of the Masterbuilt electric smoker is it is limited to 275 max temp which does not crisp chicken skin and some folks have had failures with Electric Masterbuilt smokers.. Some folks have heavily modified the Masterbuilts with external temp controller and 1200W heating elements which allows them to run a bit higher temp.

For more smoking information than you can handle you can check out SMOKINGMEATFORUMS.COM

For your salt environment, you might want to look at a stainless smoker if you can find one but options may be limited.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
For worse or worser I had to settle for a Costco grille. Walmart wanted $200+ dollars for a lesser unit. I can wait until the 12th of never but at $8.00 lb the filet migรฑon could not wait. This was cut with a fork lean. I have never had better. Have no idea what it costs in the US. New York steak cost $4.10 pound. Every bit as USA Costco meat.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Weber Q 1000! Have had it for several years and are not fussy about its upkeep - still no problems! As far as cooking on it - remember, it's not like the really great one on your back deck at home! It's much too small for beer can chicken, for instance. Haven't found a table top with a closable top high enough for that. It is not nearly as easy to adjust the amount of heat or flame you will get. Cannot change how close the grate is to the source of the heat, for instance. Also cannot do 'indirect cooking' on our Q. Either the whole thing is on, or its off. No side to side or front to back options - only one control. There is a top and bottom cooking surface, (which is typical) but the top is much smaller than the bottom and is useful only for keeping something warm while the rest finishes. Like many, we use either the 1' disposable gas canisters or travel with a 20' tank we use with an adaptor.
it's not perfect, none of the table top ones are, but wouldn't go out without it! Just a suggestion. If the one you decide on does not come with a cast iron or heavy steel griddle, get one! Great way to keep the RV cooler in the summer by doing breakfast outside!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weber Q200, for more than 10 years now. Use it every week.
Love it.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

red31
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Regulator works at 11" water column?

yes

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Down here very little choice
Electric
Gas
Carbรณn but not presnado.

Means impressed twigs and chunks of charcoal. Easy to light the hotter than. Hell for maybe 15 minutes then a mass die out. Kingsford is unknown. In Michoacan I have large stack of guisache. Big fire, then a die down with bricks and metal heated. Forearm thick branches to maintain temp feeding a bit at a time.

Shovel and bucket to take ashes. Here in a city I have none of that luxury.